What high-capacity pistol should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course HK has poor customer service!!! The USP is HKs marketing genius to stay afloat in the US civilian firearms market...
How many of us could afford or obtain anything else HK produced until the USP???
How often have we seen HKs high speed exotic weapons in HOLLYWOOD action flics???
Some sharp marketing exec. at HK knows that we are a culture of wanna bees!!!
If we buy NIKE we are like "MIKE", if we buy HK we are like the high speed SPEC OPS warriors we see depicted in the latest action flick...
HK knows alot of us will buy there USPs regardless of the product or customer service!!!
Sorry USP fans, you are fooling yourself if you think you are getting the same quality guns that are only obtainable by LE SWATS and MIL SPEC OPS personell.
NUFF SAID.

[This message has been edited by James Montes (edited October 15, 1999).]

Go to http://www.greent.com/beretta/ and review the info on the M9. The locking block design has been changed and keep in mind that the 17 - 20 K round life is based upon shooting nothing but +P or +P+. Berettas shooting standard pressure ammo have gone up to 65,000 rpunds before a locking block failure occurs. The block is designed so that the weapon may be shot up to 700 more times before repair. Beretta is one of the few companies left that uses no stamped or cast parts. Each current 92FS is shot with a proof load ranging in pressure from 50,000 to 65,000 psi and then subjected to a magnaflux to search for any fissures or cracks. The trigger spring is designed so that if it breaks in the field, it can be turned around and used again. If you go Beretta, go with the 92 series accept nothing but the 92 FS since it has design features that address earlier problems. BTW, those Seal failures occured with pisotols that had been shot past the 5,000 round mark consecutively with ammo that had a pressure rating of 65,000 to 70,000 psi. There's not a 9mm handgun on the market that would stand up to that type of punishment w/o some sort of damage. If you choose the Beretta, Keep it oiled at all times, especially around the locking block and on the barrel. The Seals placed another order for a modified 92 FS that has a brigadier slide (heavy) and can be carried cocked and locked. Finally, the frames on the Beretta average 35,000 rounds with high pressure ammo. They have gone up to 100K when normal ammo was employed. Good luck.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

I'm not familiar with all of the pieces you ask about but of the ones I'm experienced with, I'd also choose the CZ.
The USP is too big to be really practical. Same deal with the Beretta. The Beretta has a poor trigger (that at least is fixable), but the overall design is just BIG - its made for carrying as a military or police sidearm, not as a civilian piece.

I once owned a CZ 85 and although that also is rather large, the compact is available nowadays. The CZ has a better trigger out of the box than most of the others have after a visit to a gunsmith. They're accurate, extremely reliable and inexpensive. The finish on the standard model will hold up at least as well as the Glock finish - don't worry about it.

Do NOT buy after-market mags for the CZ. I had terrible luck with two different brands - stick with the CZ mags and get as many as you can at current prices.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Just so it does not seem like I am pushing SIGs to much I will also suggest the BROWNING HI-POWER. The HP is the original "Double-Stack" hi-cap mag 13+1/9MM. It saw action in Vietnam with MAC-SOG so it is proven in combat. It is considered by many perhaps the finest 9MM pistol ever devised. Still has pretty slimlined stock, feels good in hand... Mags are still available, I have seen them in SHOTGUNNEWS for about $50.
It was the original project of JOHN MOSES BROWNING ala the 1911. Tragically Mr. Browning died before he could finish this work, so it had to be finished by someone else. I don't recall who... Would it be any better if Browning finished the work himself? Perhaps, but it is a great gun all the same and though I do not own one, I wish I did... $$$ is limited and if I could, I would own them all! Yes the HKs too for all you PLASTIC HEADS...

------------------
SURE SHOT

[This message has been edited by James Montes (edited October 19, 1999).]

Doug wants DA SA capability in the gun he buys. Otherwise a BHP is a great choice.
Go with a SIG or Beretta or the Ruger (least expensive of the bunch). I saw a fellow selling factory M92 high caps at AR15.com for $40 a pop, not bad considering SIG mags go for alot more (depending on model).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back