What high-capacity pistol should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougB

I'd like to get a high-capacity 9mm or (preferably) 40S&W handgun before it becomes illegal for me to buy greater than 10 round magazines on January 1 (guess what state I live in!). Anyway, I'd appreciate your recommendations and opinions.

Here are my criteria: Pre-ban high capacity mags still available, rust-resistant finish (stainless preferred), good quality, double AND single action capability (i.e.-traditional double action-not a Glock, Sigma, etc.). Light weight and low to moderate cost would also be big plusses (although not mandatory).

Here are a few I've considered:

HK USPc (can I get legal high-cap mags?)
S&W/Walther P99 (high caps available?)
CZ75 compact (stainless available?)
Beretta
S&W Chief Special (not too fond of design)
Para Ordnance P16-40
Ruger Autos

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

PS-I've edited my list, per the comments below.

[This message has been edited by DougB (edited October 10, 1999).]

You can't go wrong with a SS/Inox Beretta 92FS. Hi-cap mags can be found that aren't that expensive. Turners has been having them on sale for $499 for the past month or so. Hi-cap mags for HK's are expensive, e.g. factory 12 round HK USP45 mags are $100 each. Have you considered a Para Ordnance P16-40? It's .40 S&W and the mags hold 16 rounds. On the other end of the spectrum there's always a Ruger P-89 or KP95D. Ruger's are very rugged and reliable and you can get after-market hi-cap mags (that actually work) in several flavors; 15, 20 and 30 rounds.

Later,
Rich

Doug, you need to rethink your criteria. If you want a high cap gun, the SIG 239 is not for you. It has a single stack magazine and holds between 7 and 8 rounds. The Walther P99 is not traditional DA/SA either.
The Ruger KP95 would make a decent choice. you can also use the pistol magazines in their carbine, and they are reasonably priced.

Phillip,
Thanks - I knew there was something I didn't like about the Sig 239, but I'd forgotton it was single stack. Regarding the Walther/S&W P99, I haven't handled one of these, but I thought I'd read that you can cock it by retracting the slide slightly to get a single-action first shot. This would be okay with me. I don't intend to carry it "cocked and locked", I just want to be able to fire single action if I'm plinking or trying to hit a rabbit or something and have time to cock it (not as a self defense feature). Regarding the Ruger, I should have included it on my list as you say. I'm not wild about their design, but the Ruger revolvers I have are good guns, so I'd definitely consider it. I'll amend my original list per your input. Thanks.

The only guns I see on your list of considerations that meet all your criteria are the Beretta or the Ruger. While the Ruger is a fine pistol, I'd vote for the Beretta (better overall quality and higher resale value). It's a big gun, but the other "compact" models I like on your list can still be bought after the ban (and aren't really "hi-caps" anyway). Also look at the big hi-cap SIG's. They can often be found used at reasonable prices (but mags aren't so cheap). Good luck with your decision.

Doug, now that you mention it, you are right about the Walther. I have fired one on a couple of occassions and it is a nice piece. The high caps for these are very expensive. Upward of $100 if you can find them.

Para-Ordnance P-16 Limited Blue .40S&W with (1) hicap and coupon for 2 hicaps $ 629.95
http://www.bachmangun.com/handguns.html
OR
As an alternative to a DA/SA
$600.00 PARA ORDNANCE P14 STEEL 45ACP DOUBLE ACTION NEW IN THE BOX - LDA
Seller: Scott Moss Guns
Return Policy: 3 Days
Shipping Terms: $15 Per Item
Electronic Mail: mossguns@shooters.com
Address: 4 New Canaan Ave
Norwalk , CT 06850
Phone: (203) 847-4008
http://gunsamerica.com/showguns.cgi...lub.w3.to/"]http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Since you mentioned that Glocks weren't considered..well too bad. However, you want accuracy, reliability, corrosion resistance, affordability, and high cap mags (but you don't want a Glock), check out the Ruger P89 in stainless.

For about $300 for a used P89 stainless, you'll get all of the above. High cap mags are available, but stick with "factory" high caps with the black plastic "Ruger" baseplate (about $25 each). On a budget, this is way up on my list of recommendations...way up there.

Hmm. If you're adding to the list, then I'll have to agree with TD on the Taurus. They make a compact version but I don't know if they'll use the Beretta 92 hi-cap mags, although I don't know why they wouldn't. However, if you're getting one last toy before the ban, then a two-toned Para Orndnace P16-40 is very tasty. ;)

Later,
Rich

SIG P229S with a replacement standard length barrel in .40 S&W. With the comp is .357 SIG. 12 round mags, stainless steel, good quality (it IS a SIG), DA/SA, light weight is a relative thing (it is lighter than a govt model), around $1000 (that is moderate compared to a SIG P210, Les Baer, or Wilson gun).

Doug,

Personally, I don't like the Ruger's, but that's just me. The HK's are great as well as the SIG 228/229. They are compact and just about as reliable as their big brothers. Both the CZ and the Beretta are great guns, too. The CZ and the Beretta are relatively inexpensive, while the HK's and the SIGs are a bit more. A buddy of mine bought me a 15 round mag for my HK and it cost him about $85.

I'd say the biggest thing to look at after reliability and accuracy, is how well does it fit your hand, and how naturally does it point. Not that I advocate point shooting at all, but the weapon should feel natural when you grip it.

Hope this helps.

CZ-USA has factory 15 rounders for $35 which is as cheap as you'll find (it's the same price I paid for CZ hi-caps in 1992). The CZ also fits your trigger criteria, rust criteria, and will not break the bank.

SIGs don't really fit the rust (unless you get K-kote) and mag price criteria. They ain't cheap either, especially for K-kote.

Don't have much of an opinion on the Berreta, other than the crappy trigger pull.

Thanks all for the great input.

Destructo, I'm intrigued by your comment that the CZ75 meets my "rust criteria." Is it available in stainless? I haven't been able to find out much about these on the web. The low cost of high-capacity magazines makes them tempting. But I'm still weighing all the options.

No, the CZ is not available in stainless to my knowledge.

It is offered in a baked-on polymer finish. I've had mine for about 7 years and it hasn't shown any rust or wear, even though I've neglected it for months at a time (range session, then left for Okinawa). The polymer finish is actually the least expensive finish offered on the CZ.

The ruger's are high value. Very reliable and tough. I have a P89 (9mm), and a Glock 30 (45 ACP). Glocks are excellent.

It will come down to what "feels right" in your hand, and what works when you shoot. Take an intro to handguns class, and then rent some. You will quickly learn what you like.

If you absolutely positively have to get a high-cap then go with SIG P228 9MM or P229 .357sig/.40 SW. You can find high cap mags in SHOTGUNNEWS from $80 to $100!!! The HK USP COMPACTS where manufactured and distributed after the 94 BRADY BILL...
In other words, you cannot get high caps unless your a COP with a CERTIFIED LETTER HEAD from your department!!!
This is no big deal because the SIGS are better pistols anyway!!!
I personally would not allow myself to get sucked into the high-cap pistol magazine dilemma that seems to plague so many of my fellow pro-gun compadres. My custom 1911 with 7+1 of .45auto firepower is more than enough for the intended job of a pistol. After all a hand gun is intended for self defense only! If you think it might take more than 7+1 to defend yourself then buy more mags!!! If you really want a high cap weapon that make sense...
Invest in a PRE BAN assault rifles like a colt carbine...
With 20 and 30 rd. pre-ban mags going for as little as $20 (aftermarket) and as much as $60 (factory) you can go to WAR if you wish!!!
NUFF SAID.

California huh... Id go with a Glock 22 .40 s&w. I picked mine up at B&B guns in north hollywood (818)985-2329. It was a factory rebuild with two 15 rnd mags for $482 bux after taxes they also have Glock 17's with two hicap's that go for the exact same price if you feel like going with the 9mm. Anyways there some info that i hope helps you in your quest for a hi-cap.Happy gun hunting & safe shooting........Jes

The Glock has everything but the trigger mode you want, and the finish is better than stainless. I will probably buy a Beretta and HK soon, but if I could have one, it'd be the Glock.

The Beretta shoots nicely and has minimal recoil, but the SEAL creedo has some effect on my feelings about longevity: "You aren't a real SEAL until you've tasted Italian steel." This is a reference to locking block failures on the M9. The Beretta is good for far fewer rounds, overall) than a Glock 9mm (Chuck Taylor is at 175K with two stoppages) from what I've heard, and the locking block is good for around 20K rounds.

The HK should be a match for Glock in longevity, but the non-stainless guns seem to rust on occassion and the durability of the HE finish is suspect from previous posts here. The mags aren't cheap (relative to Glock or Beretta) or easily available to the extent of the aforementioned. HK, from what I've heard from dealers and owners, have poor customer service and a horse's a-- attitude when problems occur. Gun Tests also thought that this gun was overpriced and not the equal of a Glock for a combat handgun. The only recommendation that they gave was that it was the best choice if you needed a traditional DA that cocked and locked. Accuracy was somewhat better than Glock. Ruger took first place, though, for making a cheap, reliable gun that was a good value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back