What height rings

But when buying rings separate from the rifle they are sold individually and you have to know which one to buy.
I bought my 77 slightly used and it did not come with rings--take my word for it I would have to buy every ring on the market if I had to figure it out on my own--I'm certain I bought a matched set--though I can't remember who from--I'll check to see if I can figure it out. When I mounted the scope I used the wheeler ring lapping kit--which includes the nifty alignment points, I doubt those could be aligned properly if the height was not matched by the rings.

Last edited:
Just CALL RUGER, tell them what rifle you have and what scope you plan to use and they'll tell you what the correct rings are.

I don't know the hawkeye, but do know the original Model 77, the short action guns had bases made as part of the receiver and used Ruger rings.

The long actions (known at the time as the "round top") was drilled and tapped for regular scope mounts like weaver, etc.

I do not remember clearly any more been too many years since I had one, but I don't think the Ruger rings would fit weaver type bases, nor would "regular" rings fit the Ruger bases.

Does the Hawkeye take any rings or just Ruger rings? Ruger would tell you that too. Bet they'd even do it over the phone! ;)

Just CALL RUGER, tell them what rifle you have and what scope you plan to use and they'll tell you what the correct rings are.

I don't know the hawkeye, but do know the original Model 77, the short action guns had bases made as part of the receiver and used Ruger rings.

The long actions (known at the time as the "round top") was drilled and tapped for regular scope mounts like weaver, etc.

I do not remember clearly any more been too many years since I had one, but I don't think the Ruger rings would fit weaver type bases, nor would "regular" rings fit the Ruger bases.

Does the Hawkeye take any rings or just Ruger rings? Ruger would tell you that too. Bet they'd even do it over the phone! ;)
Also.... a very logical suggestion.

When putting a 44mm objective scope on my M77 MkII 7Mag, I had to go up a size.

Call Ruger or lay rifle out and place scope above action. Measure the ring height and buy accordingly

Drooling a plenty!!! I love CRF actions. Like pretty red headed women. I know, I am a nut job. All these answers are on point. Check your objective bell size on your glass, bolt throw, and also if you have a cheek piece or not, this will make a difference, if albeit is a small one.

You want the rings that are going to naturally put your eye in line with the scope, and little to no jostling about to get your picture straight. When you snap that rifle to your shoulder, you want to be looking through the scope as a natural part of the movements. Too high, and your cheek will be off the stock, too low, and you might as well be eating stock, as well as issues of brass clearance, bolt handle impact, and improper mounting.
Do you really think every shot fired is a rifle snapped to the shoulder ? Scopes,stocks,people all are different,there is no law of where a scope needs mounted . Take short range BR for example,some of those scopes are mounted high enough so the shooter's head does not even touch the scope, and the list goes on .

Do you really think every shot fired is a rifle snapped to the shoulder ? Scopes,stocks,people all are different,there is no law of where a scope needs mounted . Take short range BR for example,some of those scopes are mounted high enough so the shooter's head does not even touch the scope, and the list goes on .

I am pretty sure he was trying to get the point of proper fit across. I typically go with the lowest rings possible and then use moleskin or a leather cheek pad to ensure that when I shoulder the rifle the scope is exactly where I want it to be in relation to my eye and face.

I would hope that the shooter's head isn't touching the scope.

I am pretty sure he was trying to get the point of proper fit across. I typically go with the lowest rings possible and then use moleskin or a leather cheek pad to ensure that when I shoulder the rifle the scope is exactly where I want it to be in relation to my eye and face.

I would hope that the shooter's head isn't touching the scope.
Let me fix that for you ,I meant head not touching stock . Nice touch of sarcasm .

I read his message much different than you , more like an "my way is the only way" . Very similar to what you just wrote . This may be hard to fathom for some but we all have our own way of determining what the right scope rings are for a given application . Look at the difference between an F-Class and Short Range BR rig. Ever try free-recoil ? No hugging the stock in that.

Last edited:
I read his message much different than you , more like an "my way is the only way" . Very similar to what you just wrote . This may be hard to fathom for some but we all have our own way of determining what the right scope rings are for a given application . Look at the difference between an F-Class and Short Range BR rig. Ever try free-recoil ? No hugging the stock in that.
Today 03:04 PM

What if the OP wrote his question differently than you read it?I'm not knocking short range bench rest. Enjoy!

But its not the center of the universe and if the OP was asking for free recoil scope setup he might have specified.Maybe,by the time someone is into bench rest competition and free recoil shooting they don't ask ring height questions.

I assumed this Ruger is for general hunting purposes.

Sometimes a shooter has the luxury to get all settled and adjusted to a bench rest position when hunting. More often,Not.

Focusing on answering the OP, Max, I stand by being able to shoulder the rifle,eyes closed,and being able to open my eyes to full field.

Actually, if you have to wobble your head around to find the scope field,you might improve your scores wth a little scope mounting help. Good Luck,Max!! :)

Back