What have you renewed due to plain wear and tear?

I replace recoil springs on all my guns around the 5,000 mark, most manufacturers actually recommend this in their manual.

Although I don't own any DA/SA autos anymore, I used to keep trigger return springs on hand for all of them, they are the weak point on any DA/SA and both Beretta and Sig recommend changing these out as soon as the 2,500 round mark, that goes for dry firing too

I won't replace ejectors or ejector springs until I start seeing problems. Only had to do this once on a Ruger 22/45 that has seen thousands upon thousands of rounds.

For any gun you really like and rely on, especially out-of-production guns, it's a wise idea to purchase replacement springs, rods, and other small critical parts that are hard to come by.

I've owned a few guns that have had mechanical failures. My 1975 Ruger Security Six broke a trigger spring in 2013 or so. It was a used gun and I have no idea of the round count, but it was a debilitating failure. Spring was hard to locate due to out of production parts. My Star 9mm came to me used and missing a small safety pin and spring - not required to operate the weapon, but still needed for safe operation. A member here generously sent me replacement parts. My CZ97 busted the barrel bushing, causing a failure and needing replacement, but CZ sent it free of charge under their awesome customer service.

I have some spare parts around, like firing pins for guns with reputations for breaking them, other springs and parts, etc. My goal one day is to sit down with my credit card and order parts kits for all of my important guns and store them away for a rainy day.

Nothing replaced or repaired on my S&W revolvers ( K, L or N frames...in .22 / .357 mag / .44 mag )...... many are over 15,000 rds... a couple over 25,000 rds...

Nothing on my primary 1911's...both Wilson Combat 5" guns...one in 9mm is close to 90,000 rds ( its 8 yrs old ) / the other in .45 acp and 25000 rds in about 12 yrs... ( springs are routine maintenance / they don't count )...

( I have a lot of Browning O/U target grade shotguns too - well over 500,000 shells ...with no issues ).

"What have you worn out on .22 semi-auto pistols? I have several that date back to the 1950's with literally hundreds of thousands of rounds through them with no replacements and no problems. Mine seem to have the same parts (extractors, ejectors, firing pins, etc) as centerfire pistols, I'm having a hard time imagining which parts would wear more than on a centerfire."

I've had a slide stop pop off a Browning Buck Mark during firing. I had to glue it back on to the gun with a plastic spacer. I also cracked the front sight cleaning the gun. I overtightened the top of the receiver where the rear-sight sits over the slide, because I am an over-tightener and it was made of plastic. Luckily, a LGS had an old aluminum one I managed to get for free, and then the gun was fine.

I've had the pins on a Beretta Neos back out continuously through shooting 50-100 round strings, very annoying. I shot my very first .22 LR pistol, a High Standard Duramatic, to the point where the rear sight would move around at will (this is not from dropping the gun, no holster wear either, just shooting it A LOT). Eventually, I was getting ruptured casings with fair regularity, and since it was my first .22 I sold it to a pawn shop. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds that I put through that Duramatic, though. I used to buy bricks of CCI Blazer, which the gun actually ran pretty well, and I'd shoot 500-1000 rounds a week.

I feel like that in general, I've had worse luck with .22's than centerfire guns. .22's in general seem to be shoddily built.

Back