What happened with T/C sidelock rifles?

I have a Renegade .54 est. made in the mid. 70's that looks like new and a Hawken .50 est. made in the mid 80's . I tried to sell the Renegade local for $350 and only had one person respond and was going to buy it , then called me back 2 days latter and told me someone gave him one . This was right before muzzlerloader season . I don't think there is much of a interest in sidelocks and wood now .

It's sad that T/C dropped them. I personally lost 25 of the older T/C rifles when the house burned in May, 2014....I only paid $25 for one old Rennie I found at a yardsale, and the White Mountain Carbines I had in .50+.54 caliber were unfired.

I'm slowly finding some...got 2 Rennies (1x .50 & 1x .54) and a GreyHawk in .50 caliber now.

it is a age group thing. I was 17 when THE movie hit. we didn't play video games back then. instead we bought the black powder revolvers, the stangs or chargers, the smith and wessons. and anything similar to our movies actors used as stage props. cars, guns, clothing. etc.
......tc sold the crap out of those fake hawkens. really were not that close to an original but we didn't care. we grew up and the market was flooded. like so many of other things we purchased back then> no longer in production. sad. bob

TC called it customer support. Smith calls it progress

......tc sold the crap out of those fake hawkens. really were not that close to an original but we didn't care. we grew up and the market was flooded.
As you have noted, TC, never claimed to make a faithful reproduction. They did make a "Hawken-Model" and there were many manufacturers that also made their "Hawken" models. When TC first issued these models. they were not even labeled as such. Hard to call them a fake when they obviously don't come close. If you are ever blessed to hold an original Plaines Rifle, you will understand what I'm saying. ......... :rolleyes:

The question that needs to be asked, is whether or not, they are in "The Spirit". By my measure, they certainly are ..... :D

which unfortunately destroyed the BLUEPRINTS for most rifles.
Not entirely true as the fire happened long before they stopped making them. What gripes me is they stopped supporting the repairs and providing repair parts. ...... :mad:

Be Fair and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Back