what happened to ethics in the woods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My opinion is that what he was doing is ok from what you said.

With turkey here in Wisconsin you don't need to wear any orange clothing that would make you visible. And I assume that's probably like most of the U.S. so you were probably covered head to toe in camo and virtually invisible at 175 yards. I'm not even sure if I could identify a decoy over an actual turkey at that yardage. I can't say why he wasn't calling or maybe he was but I wasn't there.

I can tell you that a lot of the turkey hunting videos I have watched lately say if you can hear a bird and it's not coming in to reposition and try to cut it off.

If this was deer hunting and everyone had to wear orange my opinion would be different but public land can be a pain that way.

Just like fishing , its yours when you get it in the boat .

I never said it was my bird yet, it could have just as easily turned and went the other way. And in my world a fish only counts, fully, when you get it back to weigh in alive.;)

there are a lot of people out there on public land, and they think shooting the first thing they see is what sport hunting is all about.-CENSORED-

Exactly my point! I would never knowingly cut someone off, if it was an accident well stuff happens.

I don't expect to have public land to myself, but I don't want to hold hands with someone wile I hunt. If they were to go over the next ridge where I can't see I'm fine with that. I just don't like thinking that, one, the person can shoot the same deer I'm watching, and two, there is a clear line of sight between me and him if he decides to be an idiot.

I never said it was my bird yet, it could have just as easily turned and went the other way. And in my world a fish only counts, fully, when you get it back to weigh in alive.;)

Exactly my point! I would never knowingly cut someone off, if it was an accident well stuff happens.

I don't expect to have public land to myself, but I don't want to hold hands with someone wile I hunt. If they were to go over the next ridge where I can't see I'm fine with that. I just don't like thinking that, one, the person can shoot the same deer I'm watching, and two, there is a clear line of sight between me and him if he decides to be an idiot.
Just because you like things a certain way doesnt mean they do. Now eith that said i can understand your frustration. But some.people just do it out of sheer ignorance

He was "where you couldn't see" right up until he shot the turkey

Pahoo and gunplummer are dead on- "Working" turkeys is an unsafe hunting practice. Your too likely to "work" another hunters calls, or birds another hunter is trying to call in.

Pick a spot and call them to you.

Ethics? Not much of that left in the USA these days. That stuff disappeared when we decided God was no longer welcome in this nation.

I agree here.

Fortunately I don't hunt in very popular areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back