what happened to ethics in the woods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

riverratt

This morning in the turkey woods I was working in a bird on my local WMA. I got the bird to the fields edge (about 175 yrds away) when BOOM! The bird flopped and a man runs out, grabbed the bird and ran back into the woods.

I know the man wasn't there when I got there as I had walked the perimeter of the field to ensure I wasn't imposing on another hunter. ( I got there just after day brake.) The only thing I can think of is this guy heard the bird working and got between me and the bird. The man never called, or let me know he was there.

Perhaps, unless they had a hearing problem he should have been able to hear me calling, or see my decoys in the field. Along with that, the fact that the bird was still flopping when he picked it up and literally ran back into the woods would suggest otherwise to me.

That's the breaks...and I feel for ya. I've had many similar problems with other turkey hunters on public hunting land --- including today here in Maryland --- what with other hunters coming in while I'm working a bird.

Seems like the turkeys love to hide and nest in sticker bushes --- with the public hunting land I hunted today is overrun with the sticker bushes. They flush like pheasants. I flushed two today --- about 15 feet away --- they really made a lot of noise, with vertical take-off out of that leafy green sticker bush --- that had me startled for a second. I swung my shotgun on one --- while saying...let me see beard --- but by the time I saw his beard...he was to far gone.

This morning in the turkey woods I was working in a bird on my local WMA. I got the bird to the fields edge (about 175 yrds away) when BOOM! The bird flopped and a man runs out, grabbed the bird and ran back into the woods.

I know the man wasn't there when I got there as I had walked the perimeter of the field to ensure I wasn't imposing on another hunter. ( I got there just after day brake.) The only thing I can think of is this guy heard the bird working and got between me and the bird. The man never called, or let me know he was there.
Welcome to the human race. At almost 72 years of age, nothing that people will do surprises me anymore.
What he did was a relatively minor offense...he could have shot you for your gun, money, credit cards and cell phone. Why should a person being unethical while hunting make such an impact on you? In his self-indulgent mind, he had not violated (as far as I know), any game or other laws, was taking a game animal that he felt he had just as much right to as you. Such intemperate behavior is usually the realm of the young, but not always so.

One should never come in or hunt a call.

Maybe he didn't know you were there.
Not only did he know you were there but he was coming in on your call. That is one great way to get shot. A couple of years back, we had a hunter get killed this way. This is one safety rule that we teach, during our classes. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Perhaps, unless they had a hearing problem he should have been able to hear me calling, or see my decoys in the field. Along with that, the fact that the bird was still flopping when he picked it up and literally ran back into the woods would suggest otherwise to me.
some people are just jerks, but one might play devil's advocate and say that if you were 175 yards away, perhaps he couldn't tell that your decoys were decoys. I've seen more than one animal stand so perfectly still that I thought they were fake only to see them bolt when I dropped my guard. there is also no way to tell if the clucking he heard was a hunter or an actual hen eager for a tom's attention. he may have also been hard of hearing, only able to hear the closer gobbler, or near sighted, unable to make out your decoys. for all you know he was a roamer rather than a caller and simply happened to intercept the turkey by chance.

then there is the "grabbed it while still flopping". I've butchered a few turkeys in my time, the practice of "bagging" them before lopping their heads off was used for 2 purposes, 1 was to keep the turkey from scratching the daylights out of you, the second was to keep the bird from bruising itself after the axe fell to keep it from bruising the meat. some hunters may take the same mentality whereby grabbing it and getting it off the ground before it bruises the meat is a concern.

running off? you don't get a small surge of adrenaline when you get a good hit? I get that when hunting squirrels, no less something more edible (I'm sure I'll catch fire over that remark from some avid squirrel aficionados). guy could have been simply running from excitement, not to mention that after you pull the trigger there isn't much reason for stealth any longer.

from your account, sure it may look bad from a distance and I would be just as upset if I was you, infact 2 days ago I had an identical situation happen to me, only the offender in my case was an opportunistic coyote. however there are a lot of variables that should be taken into account before passing judgement on runny mctomblocker.

Welcome to the human race. At almost 72 years of age, nothing that people will do surprises me anymore.
What he did was a relatively minor offense...he could have shot you for your gun, money, credit cards and cell phone. Why should a person being unethical while hunting make such an impact on you? In his self-indulgent mind, he had not violated (as far as I know), any game or other laws, was taking a game animal that he felt he had just as much right to as you. Such intemperate behavior is usually the realm of the young, but not always so.

I'm not surprised, nor am I angry, aggravated, but not angry.He did nothing legally wrong. It just seems to me the longer I hunt the less sportsman the hunters become.

ot the bird to the fields edge (about 175 yrds away) when BOOM!

With him 175 yards away I see no ethical problems here. How do you know he was not calling also and you didn't hear him? I'd say the odds are very good that he never knew you were anywhere around.

Ethics? Not much of that left in the USA these days. That stuff disappeared when we decided God was no longer welcome in this nation.

some thoughts

Had a guy cut me off Friday morning on my local WMA. Two weeks into the season, I thought pressure on a rainy morning might have waned. Wrong. He didn't shoot, but got so close to the bird that it hushed/spooked. Bird was 100 yds from me, guy came down a drainage, got midway between me and bird.....just out of sight. I'd roosted the night before, was there before dawn, saw the bird fly down, had called some, and when I heard this jaybird calling from 150, then 100, then 50 yds away, full volume on a box call. I called some myself initially, to note,...."Hey, I'm here and working this bird". No use....he kept on, I shut up, didn't want him to shoot me! When the bird shut up, he started on a crow call. No gobble of course. I called out...."You ran him off, and you cut me off, fool" No answer and the guy vanished. His truck was at the nearby parking area as I disgustedly drove off to hunt elsewhere.

1. Common decency is less common, as witnessed by the overall decline in mannerly and moral behavior overall. I would never knowingly cut off or bushwack a bird somebody else was working. For me it cheapens the success and I want no part of it. But I use the phrases "Mam, Sir, please and thank you, " and hold doors for people too. I don't knowingly turkey hunt "close" to anybody, and 175 yds is indeed close, despite other posts to the contrary. I wonder, with the "that's OK logic" what distance is unacceptable or unsafe? Hmm......100, 75.....60??? Not only unsportsmanlike, but unsafe as well.

2. The advent of all the hunting shows has brought gobbler hunting into the light again, and I talk to more and more new gobbler hunters. Some may well not be able to tell the difference between a well run call and the real thing. I suppose my guy may have thought I was real....but I doubt it. But...he got there late, he started calling too far out, he called to loud....all the indications of a newbie. I'd bet he's not killed many birds.

3. There are fools everywhere, and some hunt turkeys. I try not to get upset, though I could not resist my shouting out to this dude....note he did not reply. I've come to almost expect this on public land, but it spoils the hunt for sure. I just go and hunt elsewhere. But I will admit to at least a glimmer of vandalistic thought as rolled out past his truck....but I resisted, as that would not only be immoral, but illegal.

4. Contrast this with the lease I'm in. We all know each other, we all have paid the same fees. On any given morning, there may be multiple guys hunting, and the place is not so big that a gobbling bird may not be heard by more than one hunter. But....if Sammy's truck is parked at that crest, or Juniors 4-wheeler is at the head of the hollow, don't you know he heard it, better than I did from over yonder. I'll not spoil his hunt. And they return the courtesy. But anonymous people have comtempt for each other....note big cities....and public hunting land.

It is against the Game laws of this state to "Wander around" during spring turkey season. That is an example of why I do not go in the spring. A LOT of shooting incidents during spring turkey happened in this state. Dress up like a tree and make noises like a turkey with idiots out there hunting turkeys? I don't think so. I can wait till fall, wear orange, and go with a rifle.

I don't bet that anybody I run in to has any idea what is going on. He may have cut you off on purpose, but he may not have known what was happening. And, if you are a good caller he may have just thought you were a turkey. Who knows.

honestly I would laugh it of, it must have been a funny sight now in hindsight

As I said before I'm not angry as this is the kind of behavior that I have unfortunately come to expect on public land. I had a brief moment of a few choice words come to mind that I mumbled under my breath wile shaking my head and that was all.

And yes, in hindsight it was quite comical watching this man run back into the woods with a flopping turkey hung over his shoulder.

This post isn't just about this incident, but in general. Heck, just in the past 5 years I've had 2 deer stolen (one doe was taken out of the back of my truck) on two occasions I've had people walk up on me wile deer hunting acknowledge that I was there and walk 150-200 yards away and sit down (I could still see them) I've had 2 does within 50 yards of my stand wile bow hunting and someone killed one with a .22. That last one was quite comical as well once they realized that I was there.

This is probably a misunderstanding. The guy probably didnt even know. For people who acknoedge youre there and walk 200 yards the other way it could be ignorance. Its public land. If you want the woods to yourself go buy it.

175 yards a long way off for a guy who you did not know was there to know you were there, and maybe not even hear your calls, let alone know they were of human origin. I wasn't there, but I'm more inclined to believe he thought it was his lucky day more than he purposely interceded and stole your bird, which would actually be harder to do than call one in himself.

The original post was "What happened to ethics in the woods?" I have been hunting a long time and can honestly say the average hunter out there probably got better, at least where I hunt. With the loss of new hunters to the sport, we also lost a lot of the lazy trash too. I really don't remember hunters being more ethical 40- 50 years ago. The big difference I see is that what was considered "Unsportsmanlike" years ago has now become legal and acceptable. What do the rest of you think?

With him 175 yards away I see no ethical problems here. How do you know he was not calling also and you didn't hear him?

I'd say the odds are very good that he never knew you were anywhere around.
I have to agree with this.

He could have easily heard the bird, but not the calling, and had no reason to look towards the decoys when he knew where the bird was.

If your calling was any good at all, it sounded just like another real turkey

Hmmm. I see the source of your frustration, but (and it's not intended to tick you off) you were on public land, and at 175 yds it was not "your bird". It was nowhere close to shooting distance, and someone else bagged it and grabbed it. While I disagree with his actions, there are a lot of people out there on public land, and they think shooting the first thing they see is what sport hunting is all about. You know: "me big hunter, me kill this wild animal". If you hunt public land on weekends, you will experience this many times over during your lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back