What handgun would work best for SD in RV

revolvers are easier to learn, maintain and use for males and females, young and old.

yep revolver. probably a 357 that could use 38 special (much easier to fire). i would also have pepper spray/stun gun. also take a course or two.

Okay guys And ladies, I appreciate all the advice not only on all the different guns, websites but also the RV specific advice too. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on and today I brought home my new little friend, a Sig P238. I know it's a .380 which a lot of people don't think is powerful enough, but this gun is perfect, for me. I can wrack the slide easily, there's very little recoil, I can hold than gun for a long time at the range compared to my brothers .45 and I'm pretty accurate with it right out of the box after cleaning. With practice, I should get much better. I can't wait to get back to the range to play some more with it. My local range has free ladies night on Wednesday nights! So thanks everybody for all your help and suggestions. Our first trip is planned for late May. We're debating Yellowstone or Key West but we will definitely be hitting the road.

Is there a book that covers gun laws for different states that is up to date? Like who allows concealed carry, etc. Thanks again everyone for all your assistance.

Marcusfan

I brought home my new little friend, a Sig P238. I know it's a .380 which a lot of people don't think is powerful enough, but this gun is perfect, for me. I can wrack the slide easily, there's very little recoil, I can hold than gun for a long time at the range compared to my brothers .45 and I'm pretty accurate with it right out of the box after cleaning.

You bought a fine little pistol. When my wife got her CCL, she wanted something very small to conceal so she could still dress the way she wanted. We went to my favorite gun shop so she could look at an LCP, and the clerk showed her a P238, so I ran home for more cash. She loves it, and I like it so much (read: drooled on hers so bad) that she got me one for Christmas. It is the only pistol that we own duplicates of (and it is not an absolute duplicate: she has the black rosewood version and I have the SAS).

As you said, they shoot very well - much better than one would expect from such a small pistol, and the other handling factors you mentioned are positives I also agree with.

Get some snap caps and you can practice at home, keeping the sights still as you pull the trigger, and also making the manipulation of the safety ingrained.

People who own those guns almost universally love them. I carry a bigger pistol on a daily basis (a Glock 26) but when I am dressed up or needing to pocket carry I really treasure my little Sig.

Paper thin??

No RV walls are not quite that solid.

The "wall" of a typical RV is styrofoam and aluminum. Thin aluminum skin on each side with a core of styrofoam.

Might knock a hundred feet a second off the typical handgun bullet and add skylights to the neighbors tent or their head.

Oh and don't crash one. They typically disintegrate in a bad accident.

I am exaggerating, but only a little.

I really like what 44 AMP said about shotguns. In close quaters like an RV a SG
is deadly and legal. 20" double barrel. is potent.

Ruger and S&W make great 2" 38 specials that are also point and shoot ez with some practise in an RV. You need permits for this.

Go to the range and rent one or two 38 specials and see how you do. Better yet,
Take a course at your local range, just for women, and get educated.

MOST IMPORTANT. Take a course at your local range, just for women, and get educated.

Doc
live long and prosper

My really FUN gun is my Rossi Circuit Judge.

And it's pure mayhem with the .410 loads that are avaiable. 45 Colt for the animules you'll need to get to survive if your rig gets stuck in an impassable canyon. :rolleyes:

PLUS..... it's a "rifle" for those jurisdictions where the matter is debatable.
:)

IMO, it would be ignorant to recommend a long gun of any kind for use in the tight quarters of an RV. If you were under siege, you'd more likely shoot a hole in a wall or your foot than get it aimed at the intended target. By then it's too late. A handgun is a great idea. If you're not interested in lots of maintenance and want the simplest operation, the recommendation of a revolver is a good one. You can get a good revolver for under $400 (look at Rugers) and the recomendation of a .357 Magnum is good, because you can use .38 Special at the gun range for practice and load up with .357 Magnum for protection.

I would also (IMO) locate you a really good hiding place for the gun in case of break-in to your RV. Note: if you drive into Canada, expect to get searched.

For purely close range protection and NOTHING to learn as far as operation, maybe a S&W 642 "hammerless" Airweight. My mom used to carry one of these in her car with zero training. You literally pull the trigger 5 times. That's the only manner of operating it and the 12lb pull means you won't "accidentally" pull it.

There's always the S&W .500

Not as unwieldy as a "long" gun.
If you remember to park at the edge of the campground, it won't penetrate several other RVs. :p

Back