What Handgun Training Have You Taken ?

dawg23

What handgun training schools have you attended - and how do you rate them (strong points as well as weak points)?

I've taken a three-day Jim Crews Intermediate Handgun class.

Jim's class is excellent, and he can come to your range if you get enough people together.

If I had more time and money, I'd take some of the classes offered by Boone County Sheriff's department and Capt'n Campbell.

Last edited:
I took Gunsite's 250 (Defensive Pistol), and Front Sight's 4-Day Defensive Handgun.
The Frontsight course was outstanding. But, it was 99% a shooting course. You learned to run your handgun accurately, and quickly. They talked about fighting with a handgun and spent some time on it, but it was mostly shooting drills, presentation drills, malfunction drills, reloading drills. The Gunsite course covered all this stuff, but they spent far more time on fighting than shooting. This isn't an accurate discription. It doesn't really describe the difference between the two, but it is the best I can come up with.

Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, Chapman Academy, LFI, Ken Hackathorn, Louis Awerbuck, Chuck Taylor, etc.

Want to get out to ITTS! Cauleeforneeah here I come. :cool:

chuck taylor's handgun and handgun combat master
ITTS's intermediate IIA-IIC courses
1 Day pistol with Boston T. Party

If I had to rank the classes in order of difficulty:
BTP 1 day < CT handgun < ITTS intermed < CT HCM

The first two REALLY provide a good foundation for your pistolcraft. The second two work into more 'realistic scenarios'.

If I wasn't going to Front Sight's 4-day rifle, I'd go to their pistol class.
atek3

Semiautomatic conversion course (2 days)
NRA LE Basic Instructor (5 days)
POST Survival Shooting Instructor (5 days) & updates (2 days each)

Louis Awerbuck
3 day tactical handgun.
3 day advanced tactical handgun.

Front Sight
4 day defensive handgun.
4 day master prep.

Jeff Gonzales
2 day close quarters fighting.
2 day combat pistol 1.

ISI, Mike Dalton, Mickey Fowler
2 day competition handgun.

ITTS, Scott Rietz
3 day intermediate handgun.
3 day advanced handgun. X2
2 day home and vehicle defense.
5 day utimate tactical course.

Bill Jeans
3 day advanced handgun.

Bill Rogers
1 day range officer.

Plus numerous instructor courses.

i noticed several of us have taken thousands of dollars in pistol classes. My question is do you all work in a profession that requires said knowledge (EP, police, military, security, etc.)? I'm a chemist, the odds of me needing to make that 1.5 second 7 meter headshot from a holster are exceedingly slim, yet I've trained and trained to have that ability. Sure the training was fun, and I take pride in my ability, ever blue moon I wonder about the alternative uses of that money. Just some rambling,
atek3

I have been to Gunsite four times and to Front Sight four times (only two of the classes were pistol classes). This is my vacation. This is my "me" time or whatever the current PC, psychobabble term is this week. I don't worry about the money after it is spent.
I do worry about trying to come up with the money to pay for the classes to begin with.
The odds of me neeeding these skills are a million to one. But I am not doing it as much for the training as I am because I enjoy it.

atek, that's a decision everyone must make for himself. The market will determine. I am a yuppie scum bachelor without a significant other or children. Some of my friends play golf, blow bolshoi denek at the riverboats or buy cottages on Lake Michigan to go sailing, not for me! :)

I used to think the odds were vast, until it happened to me. I then realized that possession does not equate to skill. As my father said to me before I left for university, "[n]ever stop learning; education is the one thing that they can never take away."

Like any aspect of martial arts, one studies pistol fighting so that one does not engage in pistol fighting. Training provides knowledge as well as wisdom, along with morality, discipline and physical benefits.

In addition, in my case, I have four nephews to teach. I will not let them grow up ignorant as I did. A man with a purpose cannot be stopped. :cool:

atek,

I mange and operate a range and gun shop in So. Cal. We have shooters coming in from all walks of life including some bad walks of life. Over the years we've had our fair share of excitement.

I formed a small training group three years ago, and at the time we decided that we would seek out the best of the best so that the information we put out would be cutting edge and up to date. Prior to that I had served as a paratrooper in the US Army, (Viet Nam era) worked in EP, and also worked as an instructor for one of the big schools for a few years.

Our concept was to blend techniques taken from the military, LE, competitive shooting, and supplement that experience with what's being taught around the country at fixed location schools and by the traveling trainers. Thus far our success has exceeded my wildest expectations.

Lastly, I guess I train because it's fun and I feel a sense of accomplishment. Ah, that is once the body recovers from it. :).

I have several more training dates scheduled for this year and plan to continue training on a frequent and continuous basis. I also train with rifle, shotgun, subgun, precision rifle, and edged weapons.

HTH

Fred Darling www.wct.4t.com

Cost v. Need? That's really a tough one to call. I work from an armored truck every day, but I've never been robbed. The one time I thought things were going to go bad, I was very, very glad to have some basic proficiency with my pistol. Like they say, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

So far, my only formal training has been the SC Qual Course, NC Qual Course, and Suarez Intl's Close Range Gunfighting class. The latter was a real eye-opener and I would highly recommend you attend when Gabe comes to your area. His presentation skills are worth the money, and he's very good with the pistol.

What I especially liked is that he didn't focus on times or accuracy. Rather, he gives you the basic steps, what you need to do in a gunfight and why you need to do them, and then expects you to practice for speed and accuracy on your own time.

After attending Gabe's class, I now see just how much there is for me to learn about saving my life.....and I'm anxious to learn more. And, I think a better question to ask yourself isn't when you might possibly need it, but what will you do if someone else (husband, wife, mother, daughter) dies because you didn't have it?! That's the one thing that weighs on my mind most.

Money can be earned tomorrow. Train and enjoy.

Great replies.
Yesterday I went out to a range filled w/ "operators" and used my training to show them that "hey if a 22 year old can do it, so can you."

atek3

Attended the original Orange Gunsite back in the late 80's and early 90's. Took the API 250, 350, and 499 with Jeff Cooper at the helm. Dennis Tueller, Larry Larsen, and some other fine instructors were there helping. Also, took the API 270 Rifle Course. The Colonel and Larry Larsen taught us how to get closer and steadier.

In '03 took Randy Cain's Beginner's Course. Just like being at the original Gunsite. Randy is the best instructor I've ever had. He teaches everything the Colonel did with nothing that contradicts the Modern Technique. Gives Cooper and folks like Louis Awerback full credit. A pleasure to study under and I walked away after three days shooting better than ever and understanding what was going on.

In '03 took Randy Cain's Beginner's Course. Just like being at the original Gunsite. Randy is the best instructor I've ever had. He teaches everything the Colonel did with nothing that contradicts the Modern Technique. Gives Cooper and folks like Louis Awerback full credit. A pleasure to study under and I walked away after three days shooting better than ever and understanding what was going on.

I took Randy's Tactical Handgun 101 class at Southern Exposure in Lakeland, Florida, last weekend. While I don't have the benefit of having trained at Gunsite for comparison, I agree completely with Mr. Hammer's assessment. In just three days, Randy had me shooting much better than I ever have before. Highly recommended! www.cumberlandtactics.com

I have also taken a one-day tactical handgun class with Options for Personal Security.

Marty Hayes' FAS-1 and FAS-2 courses, plus a night shooting course. The latter was by far the most informative to me, because it proved many commonly-held beliefs about using a gun in the dark were incorrect.

Back