What guns are good for a Cowboy Action beginer

I am a beginner and these are my choices. I am in it for the gun of hanging with guys and shooting guns. Not a serious competitor nor care too much about "authentic".

New Ruger Vaquero 357 5.5 Stainless. paid 440 + shipping & fees. Got one will get another next month.

Marlin 1894CB 357. Got used on gunbroker for 460 + shipping & fees. Proud of that guy because it has an action job, lever safety plugged, titanium firing pin, new rear blade sights.

Norinco JW2000 12 gauge double barrel 20 inch coach gun. 200 +. So I cheaped out here but it gets the job done and with the rabbit ears looks old west for sure. I think it is a killer value. My wife and kids have decided this is my scariest looking firearm yet.

:)

I can pick up a cast iron engine block for a Buick 455 engine and put it in my trunk without an engine hoist

I also shoot a .36 pistol. I guess I missed the memo on what makes a "man". Times certainly have changed ;)

Riflenoob ..you didn`t say if you wanted to start with Cap & Ball revolvers or Cartridge pistols ...If it`s cap & ball a pair of 1858 Remingtons would be hard to beat price wise and historically correct ...and could be converted to shoot cartridges latter as easy as a drop in cylinder ..also historically correct ...Starting with Cartridge pistols , I would say Uberti makes a 1873 Clone that isn`t bad looking and has a price tag of around 350.00 to 400.00 bucks each ..

I can pick up a cast iron engine block for a Buick 455 engine and put it in my trunk without an engine hoist

You'll pay the price for stuff like that later on too, maybe sooner than you think.

At 36, I'm still waiting for that time ;) being able to do a thing, and doing it dangerously are two different things as I'm sure we all know from being around firearms. I said I *can* do it, not that I make a habit out of it :) The 455 block never was a problem. The 318 block that fell on my hand was, though

I started with and still have a EAA Bounty Hunter and a U.S Firearms Rodeo both .38's, A puma 92 in .357 but shoot .38 w/ 158gr Bullets, That's what the SASS book said targets were set to be knock down with. Later I purchased the Spartan by Remmington in 12ga coach gun. You don't have to have every gun to start, go to a match and ask questions. My first match I was loaned a set of holster's with tuned Ruger's and a shotgun. Everbody I meet were very freindly and helpful.

Rick
Preacher's Son

For starting out I would suggest a brace of Ruger Vaqueros.

The ruger is highly customizable, and there are PLENTY of aftermarket parts and gunslicking kits for them.

If you want to go black, get a brace of 1858 Remmington style C&B revolvers, like those sold by Uberti and Pedisoli.

The remmies are easier to change cylinders, and have a proper rear site, colts aren't and don't.

Rifle wise, good beginner guns are the Marlin cowboy, and the Henry Big Boy rifles. The henry has an awsome action out of the box, and the marlin is easy to make have an awsome action. The henry is a little less expensive as well.

I bought the Henry, I found it to be plesent to shoot and very accurate. Its selling point to me was the tube loading. The gate on the marlins always seem to bite my fingers.

Shotgun wise, buy an old double. I got a stevens 311a for $35. or a new stoger.

Word to the wise: Make sure your pistols and rifle are the same caliber!!! saves confusion on the range.

hope this helps

The bad comments I hear about the Henry Big Boy outnumber the good comments by at least twenty to one. They make a super .22 levergun though.

What about the 87 shotgun? I am buying a Norinco 97 shotgun from Aimsurplus (199 dollars new in box, should be at my FFL next friday) but I saw one of those 87s at my local shop last week and was highly intrigued by the lever action on it.

robhof

A few of the locals here use B/p loads in their Rugers and lever guns, really smokes up the place, but it's period correct and a lot cheaper to load, as long as you use mildly compressed loads. Cleaning is a whole other boat though.

Rifle for cowboy shooting

Am I wrong but 30-30 was mentioned. I thought only pistol calibers were permitted. PLEASE correct me I hate to wander around with miss information:confused:

My bad (re 30-30)
but what better "cowboy gun" is there? (referring to a winchester 94 30-30)

the 455 was overrated. was even too heavy to use as a boat anchor.......:)

ok you have blasted each others fire arms, all in jest:confused: "i hope" any way, is there a difference between the 45/70 govt. and the sharps 45/70?:confused: or is it just in my mind? i know the sharps was black powder but is that the only difference?

In 1875 Sharps came out with the 45-75 Sharps, sometimes called the 45-70 Sharps but it was just a marketing ploy. It's the same as the 45-70 Govt.

Winchester 73

they are nice, but just saw a 50% gun advertised for 2 grand! Ill stick with my 94. :)
BTW the 73 came in 32-20 which is what one of my vaqueros is chambered in.
so is the 32-20 a pistol round, according to the regs?

Back