What gun to get

I am not sure where to start other than I should get a different gun to shoot other than my 1911's, my carry guns or any other thing that is in the closet.

These would likely be fine for IDPA, so you may not have to buy a new gun. You could likely shoot your 1911 in the CDP division, for exampe. Check the rulebook, though.

I shot my first IDPA match in December with the 1911 Colt Commander I own. It was a real blast, both literally and figuratively. If you use your 1911, then you will shoot in CDP class with others using the same thing, so you do not need to worry about competing with the high-capacity 9s, etc.

Even if you want to shoot a revolver, there's a class for you to shoot in, as long as it has a 4" or less barrel. Revolvers in .38, .357, .44 Special/Mag, and .45 ACP/LC can all be used.

No matter what you choose, even if it's bullseye shooting, I think that you'll find acceptance from the others.

As to buying a new gun first, that's your choice. Who am I to discourage someone from getting another pistol...heh, heh. But you may want to shoot a couple matches first to get an idea what class you want to shoot in and get a feel for what guns seem to work best for what you choose. That's what I am doing.

What about Bullseye Shooting.
A great dicipline that will teach you trigger control- pretty important in all the other diciplines.
There are almost 14 times more classified Bullseye shooters than action pistol shooters.
There are three gun catagories to be used in competition (22, center fire, and 45 acp). You can cover all the bases here with a 1911 and a 22 conversion unit.

Here's a good link for info. http://www.bullseyepistol.com/

Good luck in which ever direction you go!

Last edited:
Back