What gun is this?

Carmike

Hello all,

I'm trying to do some research into a gun that's for sale in my area. It's a Winchester 92 in 25-20. I've looked and looked, but I can't find any information on a gun like this with the designs on the stock and forend. From the serial number, it appears to have been manufactured in 1904 or 1905.

Thanks for any info!

Carmike

Attachments

• Lever gun.jpg
    Lever gun.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 306
What you found is correct. That stock isn't factory, someone replaced the original to something more user friendly with the scope. Which also makes that tang mounted sight unusable. All that does is lower the value of the rifle to what I'd consider a shooter grade rifle, so what's the asking price?

Those were my thoughts exactly...I had never really looked into these guns (usually a bit out of my price range), and when doing research trying to find out what on earth happened to the stock, I found that I much, much, much prefer the look of the "regular" guns. This gun is quite ugly, to my eyes anyways.

The gun was posted online about two months ago, with no price listed. I just contacted the guy last night to see if it was still available, and he replied that it was. I sent back a note asking about price, and he hasn't got back yet. So we'll see.

I *love* lever guns, and I'd like to add a Win 92 that's 100+ years old to the stable, but the price on this one would have to be pretty low for me to consider it. And I hate lowballing offers, so we'll see what the guy starts with. If he's way high, I might just let him keep the gun instead of offering half of what he starts at.

What's the likelihood of finding a stock somewhere and replacing the "fancy" one the gun comes with?

That has to be the ugliest lever I've seen. Depending on what you end up doing, the scope appears to be a Weaver 330 civilian model although it could be a 29. Those are somewhat sought after by the faux Remington 1903A4 sniper rifle crowd as the Military version of that scope was used on them. All I'm saying is keep that in mind, it has a couple hundred in value alone. A 2x4 for a stock would be better than that gaudy thing....lol

What's the likelihood of finding a stock somewhere and replacing the "fancy" one the gun comes with?

You can find stock sets but both pieces will set you back a couple hundred, more if you want original wood so take that into consideration.

Poor thing has been turned into an abomination. Odd, how is it that I can feel sorry for a piece of metal and wood? It looks like it needs to go to Doctor Turnbull. It would have to be a steal-of-a-deal, because the restoration wouldn't be free. The tang sight adds a little value.

The poor thing was a beauty in someone's eye at one point. It can be brought
back again, but at a price...the wood is on ebay often. I find the half magazine
to be odd in it-self, (special order maybe ?). Anyway, 25-20 brass is near impossible to find.

Yeah, I was wondering about the magazine, too. I don't know enough about them to know if there were some without the full magazine...everything else I've seen had the full magazine, though.

I'm mainly a lever fan and that thing is so butt ugly, along with the scope & mounting, that I would not consider it unless for next to nothing. I see months of aggravation just looking at it, until I would sell it. If you are still inclined to buy, start with asking price, subtract cost of getting another stock (original, maybe Numrich Arms), plus removal of scope, filling & refinishing of tapped holes, gets you down to legitimate offering price.

Many, many decades ago (50 plus years), my hunting chum and I had access to a few different firearms, from fathers and uncles. My chum's favorite was (IIRC) a Remington barreled action, with a home-made stock by his father. UGLIEST stock work I ever saw, but he was proud of it and would have had a high value on it for what I viewed as firewood.

Look for an unaltered Model 92. You'll be happier and probably at a cheaper cost.

Well, you've heard from the "purist" camp, the rifle is "ruined" and not worth it (whatever price "it" turns out to be".

On the other hand, someone turned what was, I'm sure, at the time, an ordinary plain jane pest rifle into something that both fit and shot better.

If you are still inclined to buy, start with asking price, subtract cost of getting another stock (original, maybe Numrich Arms), plus removal of scope, filling & refinishing of tapped holes, gets you down to legitimate offering price.

That would be one way to go about it. However, "legitimate" can differ in the eyes of the bidder and the seller.

Personally, I would be a bit insulted if it were my gun, and you took that route. An offer less than what is current market rate for an unaltered collectible original? I would accept that without insult.

But an offer expecting me, the seller, to PAY for the work YOU want done (by reducing my asking price) is insulting, to me. Simply put, if you want, and will only be happy with an original condition collector's piece, go buy one.

Turn the idea around a bit, say I have a stock Colt Govt Model for sale, and you want a gun with all the "bells and whistles" found in competition guns, would you expect me to lower the asking price to compensate for the cost of the extras you want to add? I don't.

Its a "period" gun, with period optics, added in a day when a scope was a rare and uncommon thing. Personally, the only "ugly" thing I find about it is the stock carving is not to my taste. If it had been finely checkered, or even basketweave, it would LOOK better to me, but that's only looks.

If you want a period original piece, buy one. If you'r going to buy a "period custom" piece, don't expect the seller to pay for your cost to restore it to period original condition.

If you want a period original piece, buy one. If you'r going to buy a "period custom" piece, don't expect the seller to pay for your cost to restore it to period original condition.

I look at it kinda like my 03A3. I had it customized to MY liking and spent a chunk of money doing it. If I were to sell it I couldn't sell it for what an unaltered one would bring let alone recoup a fraction of the money I spent on it so why should this be any different?

The guy still hasn't responded to my request about the price, so I don't know...maybe he's reading these threads? :)

I hear you, amp. I was going to use his original starting point as a gauge to see where he stood. If he was very high, I'd probably just thank him for offering the gun and walk without even making an offer.

Everyone has, or should have a different idea of what a gun is worth, based on their own desires and needs.

What makes a gun worth more to me could make it worth less to you. It's one of the reasons we deal, or try to.

Sometimes, the seller thinks something is much more valuable than it is to me. For instance, sometimes a seller thinks a pistol is worth more because its had a "trigger job".

Maybe. Documented proof the work was done by a recognized "name" shop would add to that opinion, without that, a trigger job might be something you have to fix, just to return the gun to safe function. Flip a coin, but don't expect me to automatically pay more to take that risk.

What makes a gun valuable on the market depends in part on what is "in style", sometimes more than anything else.

Usually if some one does a "kitchen Table" customizing like that there is more. They don't usually stop on the outside. The action has most likely been filed stoned and hammered. :eek:

I've got a Winchester Model 92 .25-20 that has been in my family for at least three generations. That photo almost makes me cry. :(

Back