What gun is the next Python?

Its a tough question...some good answers offered so far. Its hard to pick something that matches the gun in all regards, but has also not yet hit Python status. I was going to mention the Colt Diamondback, BUT, its already "there" in a sense.

For a gun to reach the Python's status in today's world, it would logically have to go toe to toe, so to speak, with all of the traits that make the Python what it is today. There really isn't a pistol that has a similiar story to the Python. Some revolvers such as the Registered Magnum, the Colt SAA, etc are also very legendary, but they have been for a long time. The "next" Python would have to be a gun that doesn't have a lot of status at this time, but could down the road attain a lot of status. I can't think of anything.

This topic reminds me of a fellow collector friend of mine who has said "Japanese Nambus will be the next lugers..." and well, lets just say the Nambu is hardly in the same sentence. There really isn't another "luger" and there really can't be, when you think about it. I told him, after he said it to me enough for me to be annoyed, that the P38 has a much better chance to approach "luger status" but even then, the luger has a few things about it that can never be taken away, IE how early the design was, it was offered up with the 9mm luger caliber itself, service in two world wars, its unique action, etc. Of course the P38 has a great history itself, but I'm not sure there could ever be another "luger" although the 1911, certainly has a very admirable history itself.

I'm thinking a Freedom Arms Premiere revolvers (maybe the Field Grade as well). Not that many made each year. Considered perhaps the finest Single Action revolver made. If Freedom Arms ever went out of business, the average Joe couldn't touch these revolvers.

bright blue Italian made Beretta 84 BB (or 81 BB if you prefer .32 to .380) with it's rounded trigger guard, a drop dead sexy pistol (which is just what the Python is)

beretta_84_1.jpg

Last edited:
The next Python ???

Guys,

The Python is a classic and a REVOLVER. I think we should only consider REVOLVERS. I vote for the classic 686 Smith.

V/R

J. Budd

<<<Guys,

The Python is a classic and a REVOLVER. I think we should only consider REVOLVERS. I vote for the classic 686 Smith.

V/R

J. Budd>>>

The OP didn't say only revolvers.

<<<By that I mean a gun that gets even more popular AFTER it is discontinued to the point that it achieves near mythical status>>>

Guys,

If I only wanted to talk about revolvers, I would have posted this in the revolver forum. Notice the example I gave, the Beretta 84, is a semi-auto.

Here's one way to look at the topic:

There isn't a one of us that doesn't wish we could go back to 1995 and buy entire shipments of Pythons so we could sell them later at a major profit. So in 10-15 yrs, which guns are we wishing we would have bought NOW and held onto because they will be obscenely valuable later.

The Dan Wesson has already achieved cult status. I like the Trooper Mk III idea I wish I had not sold mine S/N J 2880. But I do have 2 586 no dash's a 4" & 6"

DSCF1033.jpg

Then there is the Colt 1911

DSCF1006.jpg

Or the original Colt Detective Spl.

PICT0101-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
...and now that they've (Cheetahs) been discontinued I could see them becoming quite popular (not Python-level popular, but a definite jump).

This could be true,,,
I own a used 85BB and a new 87,,,
In the last couple of months I have been offered more than I paid for them.

As soon as something becomes unavailable,,,
People come out of the woodwork wanting one of them.

Aarond

P.S. I'm hanging on to my MK-III Troopers.

I agree with the comments on Freedom Arms single action revolvers....if they ever quit making guns...( and boy would that be sad ) ...:(

( I have mine - in a premier grade, 4 3/4" barrel ) ....but I can see them becoming a long term classic - if they ever go out of business.

-------------------
Although the prices are less ...the S&W model 27's ( the older versions especially ) even though they are still making them with the internal frame locks, mim parts, etc ...have a very dedicated following ...and collectors. Personally I like the S&W model 27's better than the Colt Pythons...

When I think of things currently in production, I can't really see anything standing out to the point that they'll achieve Python levels , or Luger, of "gotta have". Most everything produced today is geared around dethroning the Glock, or another 1911. Or making polymer revolvers.

The only production anything I can think of that might one day be craved for more after it's discontinued is the Rhino. But more for it's unusual layout vs the handfitting/finish of the Python.

I think the Sig P210, an early model, is near Python status. And just because of what it is, if the Desert Eagle ever went out of production, I think those would be contenders.

I had the chance to fire, and admire a Colt Combat Elite .45 ACP. I think they only made them for a year or two. The marketing was not there. It had the very best out of the box DA/SA trigger pull of any semiauto that has ever been in my hand. From what I hear the Officer's Double Eagle was right up there with it. Bad marketing, and the "Wonder 9" craze were just too much.

I long for the day I have the money on me, and someone just does not know what they have.

Other than that I think it would take a super popular video game having what ever it be of a no longer produced gun to make it that popular. Resident Evil turned a lot of youngsters on to the Python.

metaba
medusa

basically anything unusual and exotic. That 357 mag top break from russia fits the bill.

usfa will be high priced for a long time, but its still a high grade colt saa. Everybody seems to be making something like that these days.

Hi Standard no question.
Love the High Standards but the prettiest and most accurate ones ever made and the current production models. They are hard to find but still in production.

Dan Wesson revolvers?
+1 and can't argue with that. The DW revolvers are bringing more money used than they ever did new. The price and demand just keeps going up.

bright blue Italian made Beretta 84 BB (or 81 BB if you prefer .32 to .380) with it's rounded trigger guard, a drop dead sexy pistol (which is just what the Python is)

While I don't know enough about this pistol to agree that it will be the next python, I have to agree that this is one sexy pistol. I have only been in the firearms enthusiast category for about 5 years now and I sometimes love the fact that I am a relative "newb" as I am still discovering new and great firearms that I want to own :D.

Back