What gun is the next Python?

Falcon642

By that I mean a gun that gets even more popular AFTER it is discontinued to the point that it achieves near mythical status.

I'll throw one out there, I think the Beretta Cheetah could go that way. I think the Cheetah is the finest .380 pistol ever made, and now that they've been discontinued I could see them becoming quite popular (not Python-level popular, but a definite jump).

Any other candidates come to mind?

Have you ever shot a Python? It was pretty damn popular while it was being produced. It's not more popular now. You just get to here from more people that can't have one.:D

How dare you ask us to find a handgun that could possibly reach the mythical status of the Python. Hephaestus himself couldn't forge a weapon to match the Colt Python....or so I've heard.:D

Look for a company that:
--makes a fantastic product
--has some manner of a shaky business or operational plan
and
--falls on it's face or otherwise shoots itself in the foot
...and that's your recipe for finding the next Python.

I believe it will be the Colt Trooper,,,

I believe it will be the Colt Trooper,,,
Both the original and the Mk-III will gain collectability.

I've already seen quite a jump in prices over the last two years,,,
Since Colt ain't makin' any of them any more,,,
Every DA-SA Colt revolver will rise in price.

Or were you talking about shoot-ability?

Aarond

S&W 3913

images

Look for a company that:
and
...and that's your recipe for finding the next Python

USFA Single Actions. Some consider them the finest SA ever made and of course we know the USFA is going down with the zip gun nonsense

Look for a company that:
and
...and that's your recipe for finding the next Python.

How does this fit Colt (Python) at all?

I shot several Pythons, and I never was that impressed. The actions of the few I shot were rough. Then I got a chance to shoot one that had been correctly tuned, and I completely changed my mind. There is no reason why a Python couldn't be as outstanding as any other Colt, since it has the same 1908 lock work only on a 41 caliber frame, but the production Python always seemed to me usually to have a better external fit and finish with less attention to the internal lock work.

To answer the question, the pinned and recessed Smiths are probably already becoming a classic, maybe the Series '70 Colt 1911 too, but it occurs to me now that you are referring to guns exactly as they are in current production. I don't know.

I say the mateba is going that way. I used to want one because it was usual (as automatic revolvers tend to be). The price just seems to keep climbing. When I first looked at them gunbroker prices were around 2k, one sold recently for 9k. While I am 100% positive that was a fluke (prob two headhunters with a reaaal high budget), the price of them has staggered me recently.

IMHO it's the Coonan, but they're still making Coonans, but would also go with Medusa Revolver too, because you can put any ammo that is a 9mm cal through 357 cal.

How does this fit Colt (Python) at all?
I think it fits tremendously well.

You've got Colt -- the legendary gun maker. To even begin to describe their imprint on history would take volumes, so obviously, they've made a couple lifetimes worth of phenomenal products.

Shaky business plan-- quite obvious in the 80s with their labor issues and their failure to rise above those problems.

Falls on it's face... not quite, but they sure tried. This is the company that almost entirely got out of the single action revolver market because their machinery was moved outdoors and rusted. Probably an awful big help to Ruger in the early days.

Shot themselves in the foot?! Bigtime, when they decided that the only thing that really mattered was to focus on military contracts. When every other gun maker blasted out of the 80s and in to the 90s trying to follow Glock's lead, what was Colt doing? And who are all the big players in the biggest category in handguns (by far) here in the year 2013? Well... Colt isn't. They still have their name and the phenomenal popularity of the 1911 in the last 10 years may be the -ONLY- reason Colt even still produces any product for the civilian market.

To have something make a meteoric rise like the Python did, it has to be one heckuva a good gun, much loved and for good reason, just like the Python. But it's a strange setting when a company can make something that good, that high quality, and that loved-- and then find themselves in a position where their only real option is to shut it down and end it entirely.

So to find the next Python, in the way the OP outlined the thread, you'll (IMO), need those elements. Otherwise, it's unlikely that a company pushing a wildly successful product will simply end production of it.

A special shout out to Smith & Wesson, who gave it a heck of a shot during the Clinton years... with regards to shooting themselves in the foot.

I don't see anything in production that will match the Python as a desireable gun to own. The Python was a gun lusted after by many, but priced out of the reach by most when in it's day, thus fewer were made. From a performance perspective it is probably over rated. I never really wanted one, but understood the appeal. I just don't see anything fitting into that niche today.

Back