What gun for a total noob?

People like to pretend new shooters arent ready or worthy to enjoy the same guns seasoned shooters do, and its a real disservice to our cause imho
I don;t enjoy shooting any of my centerfires as much as I enjoy shooting my 22s. If you want louder than forego the hearing protection...

The problem with buying a centerfire, IMO, is they are more specialized than 22s. A person has to have a lot better idea of what they are after than with a 22. No matter what 22 you buy it is likely you will hold on to it and keep shooting it. If you buy a 357 revolver then realize you like semi-autos or such, the gun usually seems useless. Resale on 22s is pretty decent also. If he has a budget for a decent new centerfire rifle he could but a 22 and a reasonable surplus rifle also.

It is always a good thing to take a noob out with you and a variety of your stuff.

Absolutely. One of the guys from this forum, Jimbob86, did exactly that when I first started shooting. He brought about half a dozen different rifles in different calibers, and we spent a couple of hours blowing up milk jugs full of water. It was a great experience, and it really gave me some good ideas about what was going to be the best gun for me.

I still spend more time with my .22 than anything else, mainly because it is cheap to shoot, but getting out to try some of the larger calibers solidified my interest in shooting, and I am now hooked for life.

That being said, don't underestimate how fun it is to shoot .22s. I leave the range with a smile on my face every time, and I usually don't even bring my centerfire rifle with me.

CZ makes high quality, modestly priced .22 bolt actions like the 452, also available in .17 HMR chambering.

I agree with this statement. I think a good quality .22LR like a CZ would fit the bill.

.22 is fine, but depending on "aspirations" may be outgrown for something that can reach out further in short order.

The .22 is certainly cheap to shoot (and get a lot of trigger time), but don't discount the .223 for a low-recoil, "relatively" inexpensive to shoot caliber.

Since you have an Academy near you, I'd look at the Marlin 60. Was the first firearm that I ever shot when I was a kid and still have it 20 years later. The newer ones have a thicker stock than mine does but mine is over 30 years old so things have changed a bit. It isn't a laser beam accurate put 1 hole at 100 yards but it is fun as all get out, and should be a little cheaper than the Mossberg you mentioned. Besides everyone should have a .22LR firearm of some sort, should be law :D.

Back