What grain amount?

The affordable ones are made overseas where English isn't the first language. The good news is that getting the measurement should be easy. Wipe the faces of the jaws off where they make contact. Close them. Press the power button to turn it on, and then press the zero button so it reads zero. If it is reading in millimeters (shows two zeros after the decimal point), press the inch/mm button to get inches (shows three and sometimes four zeroes after decimal point), then open the caliper a little bigger than the cartridge. Place the head of the cartridge so its middle is centered against the broad flat part of the stationary jaw and gently close the jaws until they just kiss the tip of the bullet. The readout will be inches of cartridge overall length.

A personal favorite load of mine is a 230 gr. cast lead RN or TC
and 5.2 grs. HP38 / 231 @ approx. 799 fps .
That's my load too...the same powder charge is my go-to load with 200 gr LSWC's seated so just a finger nail width of full dia. shank shows above the light tapered crimp. Both loads are superbly accurate in my 1911's as well as a Colt SAA with .45 ACP cylinder and a Smith M-1955 (25-2) revolver. HTH's Rod

Again, ignorance. READ THE DIRECTIONS! I was not zeroing the instrument. I'm good now. Thanks.

I believe I'm ready to rock 'n roll now.

What grain amount

My two bits for soft loads. I am loading 231 behind 200gr SWC plated Berry's
with as low as 4.0gr with decent results, and it seems 4.5 will be where I stay.
The softer rounds may cause you to change recoil springs.:cool:

That used to be pretty common with bull's-eye match shooters. For 185-grain JSWC match bullets, 4.2 grains of Bullseye or 4.4 grains of 231/HP38 were used to copy factory match load performance. For 185 and 200-grain lead bullets, loads were typically 3.5 to 4.0 grains of Bullseye or about 3.8 to 4.3 grains of 231/HP38. These needed lighter recoil springs, of course. A lot of guys liked the better metering of 231/HP38. The only gripe was it could burn a little less completely and, especially with the lower loads and lighter recoil springs, toss a few small burning grains out during ejection, so you wore your glasses religiously. The guys shooting revolvers didn't have that problem.

Back