What firearms do I take to the range?

papa_spaceflight said:
I'm relatively new to shooting. Received my first gun (S&W model 64) last year as a gift. Recently I made my first purchase (S&W M&P 2.0 9mm), and I also gun I'm borrowing for target practice (walther p22).

The question is, where do I start? When I go to the range should I warm up with the .22 and then switch to one of the others? Should I spend lots of time practicing with just the .22? Or should I spend my time with one of the larger calibers? Which is the best way to focus my time to improve my shooting?

papa_spaceflight said:
I feel like I should have more experience under my belt before I commit to carrying everyday, but that's definitely my end goal.

if your goal is to eventually carry start out cold with the gun you plan to carry. Take that one every time you go. The time spent with the 22, or other guns is fun but irrelevant to the goal of carry although it doesn't hurt to shoot them too. The more you practice with your carry gun, the more proficient you will be when you take a professional defensive firearm class and the more you can focus on the instruction or advanced techniques you will learn in the class cause you wont be wasting your time worrying about the gun or accuracy.
Starting out cold with your primary gun is a great way to measure your progress.... IMO.

Cheapshooter said:
Then find another range!
That's why I joined a hunt club with a range. Range membership only. I don't do babysitter (supervised) ranges well.
Handguns, rifles, shotguns, muzzleloaders, I might have 8 or more. But then too a range trip is usually several hours of shooting for me.

It isn't my favorite range. It gets some, umm, "sketchy" individuals at times and the number of bullet holes where there shouldn't be (including, until recently, in the dividers between two of the lanes) is kind of scary. I use it the most (out of any other one range) because it is closest, but if you add the others together I probably use all other ranges combined a little more than this one (there are 3 other ranges I often use). Even when I use the others (with one exception) I usually only bring 2-4 guns just to spend enough time with each.

The exception is an outdoor range about an hour away. When I go there, I usually bring 2-4 handguns and 2-4 rifles. I also bring enough ammo that I am, like you, spending several hours there. I pretty much make a morning or afternoon out of it.

Last edited:
It isn't my favorite range. It gets some, umm, "sketchy" individuals at times and the number of bullet holes where there shouldn't be (including, until recently, in the dividers between two of the lanes) is kind of scary.
Wow, at an indoor range! That right there would keep me away for good.

I usually have 4 to 6 guns with me. This includes my car gun. This week I had 7. .45 1911, 9mm 1911, 642 revolver, 586 revolver, .22 Henry and a Citori in 12 ga. I didn't use the shotgun but shot the others. Didn't shoot the LC9.
So many guns, so little time.
Life is good.

In general, it is not a good idea to be known to have a lot of guns; we would like to believe that all our friends at the range are honest, and most are. But...

I think 3-4 guns is about the maximum on any given range trip, not only for security but also because if you try to shoot more than that in a couple of hours, you are just blasting away, which is not really a lot of fun. Of course, if anyone asks, those are the only guns you own. Telling the world that you have a hundred guns at home may not be a wise idea.

Jim

^
An advantage of age, and retirement along with a private, small club range. I shoot on weekdays, and there is seldom anybody else there.:D

I have always been a one gun per range session shooter. You have not mentioned your level of experience, if you haven't shot that much I would stick to the 22 till you really become proficient.

If you are new... I would suggest that you go to the range with (one) gun. If you are new, I would focus on capability not entertainment. Take one gun, and if you are already trained in the safe use and handling of the weapon... train with it and get proficient. Then start incorporation other firearms into the mix. Going to the range with half a dozen firearms is not training.. its playing. Playing is fine if that is what you are going for but it doesn't really sound like that is your primary purpose. Good luck and be safe

What do I take?.. I take a AK variant and a Browning HP

Last edited:
I take four guns to the range.
A 22 handgun to warm up with.
A 9mm SD gun to practice with.
A 22 rifle to warm up with.
An AR15 to practice with.

Around home I have a Crosman pellet pistol and a pellet rifle that are fun to shoot and can used in the garage or backyard.

It's also good to get into a daily habit of dry firing to gain trigger control.

Back