What does your home defense plan consist of?

This is Texas. No retreat here. If you're in my house uninvited, everything else is assumed, and I can kill you dead in your tracks.

Outside: motion lights on front and rear porch, 3 decent size Pit Bulls (that look and act mean but they'd just lick ya to death if they caught you.....sshhh, don't tell the bad guys :D) that can move all around the outside (fense goes all around the house).

Inside: 3 locks on front and back doors (2 deadbolts and regular door knob), German Shorthair Pointer (that's actually meaner than the Pits), HK USP Compact 9mm/flashlight/cell next to the bed, Mossberg 500 12ga in the closet.

I live alone and if you make it past the dogs (which I doubt cause they get loud if anyone's just walking down the street and I'm a VERY light sleeper) and into my house without being invited, you're a threat and I will act as needed.

I would suggest that the TX law is not as simple as stated.

The TSRA has an excellent article this month in their journal.

I strongly suggest people read the law as here is part:
A) unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor’s occupied habitation, vehicle, or place of business or employment

A version of the article is at:

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...-castle-doctrine-stand-your-ground-101-a.html
This is Texas. No retreat here. If you're in my house uninvited, everything else is assumed, and I can kill you dead in your tracks.

That posted assumption is not correct.

If you're in my house uninvited, everything else is assumed, and I can kill you dead in your tracks.
I'd submit that little is "assumed" should the matter go before a grand jury. When it comes to homicide, things can get pretty gray.

... and because 'This is Texas', if I don't follow the Texas castle doctrine laws, my butt will be sitting in a Texas slammer for murder.

There finished it for ya. :D

Let an unarmed,confused, drunk stagger through your unlocked front door and you drill him and see what happens.

"...I can kill you dead in your tracks." That's because I have unlimited funds for legal fees, which means that no grand jury or DA could possibly find cause to file charges. And no jury would ever, ever consider a finding of He Done A Bad Thing.

Our society, going back hundreds of years, has fundamentally considered one person intentionally hurting or killing another to be repugnant. Any such act of intentional violence against another human is prima facie a crime.

However, our legal system has recognized, also going back hundreds of years, that under some circumstances such an intentional act of extreme violence may be justified, thus relieving the actor from criminal (and civil) liability. But if you intentionally hurt or kill another person, your action is prima facie criminal unless/until it is established that the legal standard for justification was satisfied.

In some States an intentional act of extreme violence against another human might be justifiable in a broader set of circumstances. But the laws of no State can be considered a license to kill. If you intentionally hurt or kill another person, even in what you claim is self defense, you have prima facie committed a crime unless/until it can be established that your act of violence was justified.

Haaa, admins sure made their point which I agree is MUCH more complex than:
"you break into my house, now I can kill you dead..."

Some folks think that because they own guns...it gives them a James Bond type license to kill.

People assume much these days. The law isnt always on your side as I stated way back. Nobody wants to kill, or possibly spend time in prison as a result over a stupid break-in or ATTEMPTED break-in. Thats why a home defense plan should be layered...to protect YOU as much as your house! I have a bit of work to do based on some of the GREAT feedback Ive seen here.

Right now I have ADT security on both doors and a motion sensor, all windows locked and a motion sensor near the garage. I plan to install 2 more on both sides of the house. Perhaps a dog in the near future....once my cat decides to check out from natural causes. Thanks guys

Fenced in yard with 2 hounds that go ballistic at the smallest of sounds or movement during the night, 44 mag in a holster on my bed post with an assortment of shotguns/hunting rifles about 3 steps from my bed in the rack. my father has his .45acp and his shotgun at the other side of the house in easy to get to locations. After people hearing from a buddy of mine who tried to enter my property without my consent and my dogs latching onto his testicles, most are afraid to even approach my gate WITH my consent lmao.

But the laws of no State can be considered a license to kill. If you intentionally hurt or kill another person, even in what you claim is self defense, you have prima facie committed a crime unless/until it can be established that your act of violence was justified.

This is the reason,and it never fails, when someone pipes in on one of these types of threads and posts, " I'm from (name your state) and here, if you come in my house I'm gonna (again,fill in the rest).... it just makes you cringe.

I'm not trying to offend anyone but it never seems to fail that something like this is said.

I was in Fla. visiting some relation which is in LE. We went to a friend of relatives apartment to pick friend up and I was commenting on how secure the apartment complex seemed as we walked into the apartment parking lot to leave.
Relatives friend says "that it is a very secure complex and since the new castle doctrine, many don't even lock their car doors since it was legal to shoot someone if you catch them in your car. Let alone your apartment." :rolleyes:
Relation responded to his buddy that "he better get an understanding of the law cause he(relative) would hate to have to come out and arrest him(friend) for murder.

On the way to the restaurant, my relation took the opportunity to explain the Fla. castle doctrine law in detail to his friend.

So again, since this is very serious business, worth repeating:

But the laws of no State can be considered a license to kill. If you intentionally hurt or kill another person, even in what you claim is self defense, you have prima facie committed a crime unless/until it can be established that your act of violence was justified.

Know your states laws!

Last edited:
My home defense plan is in place, but is top secret and can not be divulged online.

What I can suggest is to go outside your house and take a good look at your place with the mind that you are going to attack it and gain entry. Look for weak spots and entry points. then go inside and do the same. Where will they be coming in, where would they take cover if it escalated into a gunfight, where is the fam likely to be, all that sort of thing. and then harden. Make a plan. Make a backup plan. Discuss it with fam or roommates and perform drills.

You'll discover the holes in the plan and can tweak the plan to work. I have a little fun with it and me and my bud role play a little and pseudo attack each others home to test the defensive capability.

Yessir - mine is about 75% to where I want it to be. The addition of 2 more motion sensor lights on either side of the house will make me feel better. Ill be honest, my ADT security system gives me great peace of mind.

The biggest one that gets me is when people get new entertainment equipment (tv's etc) and advertise it by leaving their giant boxes out for trash pick-up.

PA Castle Doctrine

I am not a lawyer, but the PA Castle Doctrine gets a lot of discussion in the PA Firearms Owners Association discussion boards. The presence of an intruder does not, as far as I know, give the homeowner the right to just blindly blaze away; but forcible entry of an occupied dwelling, with the emphasis on forcible, gives rise to the assumption that the person who has entered is a threat. Leaving your front door unlocked and having somebody enter is not necessarily assumed to be a threat unless that person is confronted and refuses to leave. At that point, if I remember correctly (and I am NOT a lawyer so I may be wrong), the person who is trespassing and refuses to leave becomes a hostile intruder. The discussions on PFOA generally revolve around there being no need to retreat, unlike SS215's statement. In Philadelphia proper, the DA may decide to prosecute anyway, but if there is enough press generally has not done so in cases where a homeowner is confronted by an intruder.

I did live in MA during the era of "you must retreat if possible." The DA in the Boston area at the time was Newman Flanagan. One of his successful prosecutions of a person who shot an intruder even though there was a possible retreat was overturned by the appeals court. It seemed that the appeals court believed that even though the man could have retreated, he was not obligated to leave his 14 YO daughter upstairs and undefended under the law.

Great post Danny, thanks for the support and well worth looking into (for me anyways). This thread is swaying closer to the legal side but I think its warranted in a discussion about home defense. Great posts everyone...its amazing to see the differences state to state. Best way around those situations...is build a kickass home defense plan and KNOW the laws!

Back