What does "unfired" mean to you?

What does "unfired" mean to you?

What it means to me is irrelevant. The term has a meaning independent of my desires, preferences or likes or how I think it oughta be explained.

What the terms means is that the gun has not been fired since leaving the factory.

tipoc

There is always the question: Why did the previous owner want to get rid of it?

Or the other side of the question, Why didn't the previous owner USE it?

Clearly we have some folks that take the literal meaning of unfired to its ultimate degree.

However, most of us accept the general use of the term as meaning "not fired after finished" or "after it left the factory". Firing the gun is part of the manufacturing process today, required by law in order to be sold in certain places. The gun isn't "finished" (meaning complete and ready for sale) until AFTER it is test fired.

It is inferred (by saying unfired) that the gun is in like new condition. However as others have pointed out, no matter the actual condition, if it has not been fired, its "unfired".

I'm probably different than most but a used (previously owned) but unfired gun would not be something I would buy unless it had a lifetime warranty that followed the gun regardless of the owner. I've only bought 5 new handguns. One had a one year warranty and the other four had a lifetime warranty (but two only applied to the original owner). I had no issues with four but I had to send one back to get it to operate properly. I would rather buy a gun with a couple of hundred rounds through it so any issues will have been corrected.

1) Primarily the most common sales tactic.
A friend has an Enfield #4/Mk.2 still in the factory paper, covered in cosmoline. This might Be unfired.

2) Pizza ingredients before insertion into an ancient Roman oven. These truly are unfired.

It made no difference with a brand-new Auto Ord. imitation M-1 Carbine back in '07. It had to go back for a free factory repair after the bolt started to jam.

Last edited:
Back