What does NIB mean to you?

To me NEB means "New In Box" nothing less and nothing more. If I buy something listed as NIB I expect it to be new, undamaged, and complete; in its original packaging with any accessories, manuals, and paperwork that came from factory.

Agreed. I want all the junk plus the box. When I buy a new gun from the LGS, they don't give be a display model which I would not consider NIB. IMO, NIB goes further than just never being fired.

NIB to me means it was never fired and never sold to/bought by an individual and it goes without saying it comes with EVERYTHING it does when bought new. Cable locks, manuals, page to apply for warranty, spent casings if provided, test targets if provided,mags, all interchangeable backstraps, aforementioned items still in ziploc bags if applicable, E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G!

LNIB is all a private user can sell as IMO.

I agree with this.

1. It only had one mag. Now, this gun shipped back in the late 1990's with 2 mags when it was new. I only received one.

A local gunshop is notorious for taking out one mag if a firearm ships wit two, then trying to sell it to the customer.

Well, lets break it down.

N(New)- unused, not fired.
I(in)- kinda self explanatory
B(Box)- container the gun came in from the factory.

So its not a question of what it means to me, but the actual definition. If it is listed as NIB, it should be unfired and minimally handled, in the original factory box with whatever came with it new from the factory. Anything less is unacceptable and deceptive if advertised as such and doesn't fit the parameters.

I would certainly note the missing mag and ask the guy about marks on the gun. I would certainly tell him (nicely) that I don't believe this gun is in NIB condition.

The real question is, do you like the gun enough to keep it? Did you get a fair or better than fair price on it? Can you live with the handling marks and and short one mag?

If you can't, I'd simply ask him for a refund or a partial refund for the reasons noted.

I sent him a PM on the other forum and informed him that a NIB gun should come with everything that was shipped from the factory, including the second mag and that I was disappointed that it was not included. I am not bringing up the handling marks, as I got a fair deal on the firearm and can put in a bit of time and remove the marks. I did this with a Dan Wesson CBOB I bought a few years ago that was scratched up and it looked great.

Caveat Emptor :)

Buying even from established internet retailers I have read of problems like these.

With NEW guns.

The only way to not get burned over the internet,I think,is to buy from stores that have a return policy from the FFL you choose and to understand that you have one chance to find all the flaws-at the FFL before you take possession of the gun.

Once you walk away from the FFL's counter with the gun in your possession-it's your's -all flaws included.

This is a very good reason I really try to buy from my local gun stores if at all possible.

That guy usually wants your business and you can go back there and talk to the guy face to face to try and find a solution.

Unless the gun is actually new-I only buy my used guns from my local gunstore where I can see them before I buy.

Sorry to read you got a gun that looks to have been said to be new but was'nt.

3 pistol magazines, LE specials

In the last few years, many major companies(S&W, Beretta, SIG Sauer, Glock, etc) have packaged "police special" or LE semi auto pistols with 03/three NIB magazines.

I can see & understand why major companies want to appeal to the security/military/LE market but private gun owners & shooters should get the same level of service/credit IMO.

(However, JohnKSa is an expert and I'm just a senior citizen).
I can't claim to be an expert. But the OP asked for opinions and I've sure got some of those... :D

The only reason I would disqualify an old gun that's been sitting somewhere in someone's closet for years as being NIB is because there are often recalls and upgrades made to guns over the years and I'd want to know what I was in for if I purchased it. I guess the same thing applies to a gun bought from a dealer, and frankly, if I bought a gun from a dealer, I'd want him to let me know if it was something that had been in his stock for more than a year or two without being sold.

When I buy a new gun from the LGS, they don't give be a display model which I would not consider NIB.
You and I must shop at way different gun stores....
Nearly every gun store I go to has all their stock out on shelf or on the rack behind the counter.

If the seller is a dealer then NIB means NEVER previously sold. PERIOD.
I'm not a dealer nor do I hold a FFL - but - aren't they required to "paper in" and "paper out" guns?
Isn't there a paper work difference between the way new and previously owned guns are recorded?

I know that with cars and triucks, anything "new" has a MSO and anything "used" has a title.

Last edited:
There are actually two different things being discussed when one says NIB. One if the condition of the gun, and the other is the condition of the entire package.

Now, NIB should be used only when the gun is never previously sold, never fired outside factory testing, has all accessories, paperwork, etc, and shows no handling marks.

Anything else should be described as ANIB (as new in the box) or LNIB (like new in the box). One can find a gun "NIB" where the box shows wear, or damage but the gun is pristine. To a collector this makes a significant difference, but to a shooter, who only cares about the condition of the gun itself, it does not. It is entirely fair to describe a perfect gun as NIB (if the gun is perfect, never before sold, and unfired), with a damaged box, or missing accessories, PROVIDED it is stated what is damaged or missing.

It is up to the ethics of the seller to explain if they are describing the condition of just the gun, or the whole package. They should list such an item as ANIB or LNIB, but those descriptions also include guns that have been sold and fired.

around 20 years ago I bought a NIB S&W Model 28. It was made in the mid 70s. But it was still NIB condition, with box and everything. I considered it fairly represented, but many would feel it should not have been called NIB.

To me NIB means that, new complete all parts and paper work intact not handled a great deal and not sold previously past the gun shop. as new in box same as NIB but having been sold to an individual but not used box may be worn, like new/ preowned very lightly used (under 50 rounds) with box and any tools paper work may be missing. Also need to add the dealers sample. These are guns I can find at my local shop every once in a while that were used at shows, they have been handled a great deal but have not been fired or fired less than 50 rounds with box and all paper work. (I like finding these. New guns at 1/3 off new price.) It sound like you need to do a bad feed back on this individual after you get things settled.

It only had one mag. Now, this gun shipped back in the late 1990's with 2 mags when it was new. I only received one.

People do that, they keep a mag back to make more $$$.

showed several nicks

Sometimes factory marks/idiot marks from someone handling it and rings etc....

Colt; M4s, DoD plant QC inspections...

About 3 years ago, I read a gun press item about how strict some of the small arms contract inspections were with the 5.56x45mm M4 rifles.
In the Colt plant, a DoD inspector(not a Colt or contractor) would pull a M4 5.56mm out of a lot at random. If the "NIB" milspec M4 wasn't up to DoD/US military muster, the ENTIRE lot went back for service/repair. ;)
That may sound harsh but I think our service members & US govt employees deserve the best weapons & equipment they can.

ClydeFrog

NIB is exactly that, unused directly from the manufacturer.

If its an older firearm like a 90's or 2000, then it can only be LNIB.

NIB means never sold at retail before. Once it has an original owner, it cannot be NIB imho. Just like the 40 year old lady who has been out in the world for twenty years but still is a virgin according to her. :eek:

NIB boxs mean it has never been transferee to a private owner.

LNIB is Never shot but transferred to private owner or a gun which has seen almost no shooting. Limited rounds say under 100 and show no signs of firing.

IMHO LNIB has some leeway but NIB does not.

For a gun that old the designation does not mean anything. Inspection of the gun and valuation based on the inspection determines value not the verbiage of the ad.

My experience has been NIB means there's at least a 50/50 chance the firearm inside it resembles the one on the box label.

Last edited:
Back