What does it sound like to get shot at?

If you get hit you'll not realize what happened until you hear the report of gunfire. Then you figure it out. Except in the case of being struck by a ricochet; you'll hear a sort of whistle thru the air since the projectile is now flattened and slicing through the air. And I can personally attest that as smoothly as it slices thru the air it will also slice thru you in razor-like fashion.

Bullets don't bounce off the pavement. They skid along only inches above the pavement and continue on a straight course till striking an object.

As said, it is a very loud "crack" if the bullet flies within 15 feet or so of you. The sonic boom dissipates pretty quickly if it's much further away than that though. I got into an argument with a guy at my agency that believed a suppressor took all of the "crack" out of a rifle and all you heard was really a quiet "thunk." He believed that if you were 100 yards away a guy wouldn't even realize they were being shot at with a suppressed rifle. The guy was honestly kind of an ass because he got mad and wanted to argue, like seriously argue, over it. I just walked away. Such was his way about a lot of things, with a lot of different people.

At any rate, as others have suggested pull pits at a KD range and you will know exactly what it sounds like. That's the best way to safely know the sound... and hopefully the only way you will ever hear the sound.

I got into an argument with a guy at my agency that believed a suppressor took all of the "crack" out of a rifle and all you heard was really a quiet "thunk." He believed that if you were 100 yards away a guy wouldn't even realize they were being shot at with a suppressed rifle.
Sounds like suppressed sub-sonic equipment would be that way (e.g. .458 Subsonic). The "thud" would likely be whatever the bullet struck.

I got deleted, I should have posted more info.

Lady Fingers is a small firecracker that I used to buy. They are smaller than black cats.

Lady Fingers is the closest comparison to what the "snap" sounds like that I can think of.

Sounds like suppressed sub-sonic equipment would be that way (e.g. .458 Subsonic). The "thud" would likely be whatever the bullet struck.

No he was talking about .223 out of an AR because that's the only suppressed rifle he's ever shot, and he has never pulled pits or been on the receiving end. It does sound kind of like a deep "thunk" from the firing end, which is all he knows...

I found out a long time ago, that deer rifle rounds actually make a "whizzzzing" sound, when they're traveling TOO CLOSE to you!

Yeah, it's a lot easier to get your head around if you have worked in the pits on a KD range.
I have done a lot of pit work for our 300 yard range and what surprised me was just how loud a bullet passing 10 feet above my head was. First couple of times you darn near jump out of your socks.
Also the difference in bullets. The loudest was a 22-250 pushing 4000 fps.

Back