What do you wear when you are on your bike?

jtyson

I'm talking hogs and rockets here. No offense to the pedal type, but I haven't bothered with one of those since I was old enough to legally get behind the wheel (or bars in this case) of something with a motor.

I know it's coming up on winter and it won't matter as much, but I'm trying to figure out what and where to carry when I am riding. Honestly, I'm more of a wheel gun guy. I've had my fair share of semis and will continue to buy more, but for self defense I don't think anything beats a revolver.

I've been considering an LCR. I don't feel undergunned with a good 38+p round and I've been thinking ankle rig, but since I ride rockets, my pants do tend to come up a bit and I don't want to accidentally brandish. I could probably do a shoulder holster, but then I'm forced to keep my jacket on everywhere I go. Typical IWB couldn't be easily accessed with my jacket either.

Here in NM, open carry is legal, but I don't think a guy on a bike with a gun on his hip would make too many folks happy and I don't want to stir the pot unnecessarily.

So what do you guys do when you're on two wheels?

I'd say no on the ankle holster. If you get caught in the rain, the lower part of your legs will get soaked first because of the spray and grit kicked up by the front wheel. Besides, I usually wear touring boots, so the ankle hoster wouldn't work for me.
Most of my riding jackets have suitable inside or outside pockets that will hold a small pistol with or without a pocket holster. Small of the back carry also works well on a bike unless you ride a sportbike and wear a short jacket that rides up in the back.

I have Coronado Leather bike vest, has inside built in holster for conceal carry gun, It's well made. That said I can tell you from experience if you go down, gonna wish that you nothing in pockets, I wasn't wearing my vest that night had a NAA mini mag in pants pocket and it left me with an extra hurt. So glad didn't have CCW on my hip

90% of the time I carry a stainless j-frame in an ankle holster. Like with any of my firearms, rain is the least of my worries. Ridin' in the rain is no different that huntin' in the rain. :rolleyes:Besides, the rainsuit that is always in my bags keeps my ankles dry even when riding all day in rain. Decent ankle holsters either accommodate wearing over boots or have strap extensions available. I also figure an ankle holster offers the least chance of injury if I go down or get cut off by a car. Other 10% of the time I wear a 1911 in a shoulder holster under my vest/jacket.

My S&W M60 with a 3" bbl, and it's holster go in my daily ride bag strapped behind the pillion seat. When I dismount, I slide it on my waist belt...

Riding, I don't like extraneous objects in my pockets...wallet, phone, CCW and knife all go in that small bag behind the rear seat, as does my license, Ins card, and registration for the bike....On dismount, reloading my pockets takes :30 seconds and does engender some pointed remarks from my riding buddies....especially if they see the gun..."hey, you expectin' trouble?" is the usual quip...the reply goes like this, "nope, if I was, I'd be packin' a 12 ga pump in a scabbard!".

Best Regards, and ride safe....Rod

under-garments, concealment shirts....

Id look at the good 5.11 under-shirts or the active wear from Lenny Magill's popular www.glockstore.com . You can pack a small revolver or semi auto pistol under your shirt or jacket & have quick access.
Woolrich Elite, Blackhawk & 5.11 also market shirts with pockets to hide small guns. They don't look very tactical or SWAT like & you'll blend into most places.
There was a company called Bullet 50 that sold a line of jeans that concealed weapons & LE gear. It was started by a group of retired cops in southern CA.

The Ruger LCR is a good choice. My friend just got a new LCR .38spl with a Centerfire red laser.
A S&W 442/642 .38spl +P could work well too. Id look at a Blackhawk SERPA holster.
A red or green laser aimer may be a good add-on. If you are wounded or on your bike, you may need to fire one-handed.
CF

I don't own a car, and have only owned a double-handful of cars/trucks in my 57 (in a week or so) trips around the sun...as opposed to nearly 85 bikes (so far, and five currently).

From this, you may infer that I ride every day, rain, shine, or whatever...and you would be right.

Most of the time, I carry my Kahr PM9 in my right front pocket. Sometimes, I carry a 1911 IWB. I don't worry about accessing my handgun while riding, as I will use the acceleration and maneuverability of my bike to get me out of a situation long before I will take a hand off the throttle to reach for a hand gun. :)

If I am at a dead stop, and trapped...all bets off.

I always carry my S&W 642 in my front pocket. When I carry my 1911, or my Alaskan .44 Mag, OWB. The 642 is still in my pocket. So when I ride ( cold enough for a jacket) I will transfer it to the inside left breasted pocket, and switch back whenI get off. The 642 is small enough to palm it and be discreet.

Found a used LCR 38 with crimson trace grip and a box of ammo for $450 in good shape locally. If it is still available and funds allow I may pick it up in the next week or so. I've gone and played with the S&W airweight and I actually had an LCR for a short bit (regret selling) and I far prefer the trigger on the LCR.

I really like the looks of those conceal shirts. I'm gonna do some shopping on those. Anyone know how well they fit? How true to size they are?

Also, just to open another can of worms, I'm young -26- and don't have near the 2 wheel experience that some do, but in my 9 or 10 years on motorcycles, I've had two people TRY to run me over. Not accidentally, but chase me north of 100 mph trying to run me over. Once with my girlfriend at the time on the back. Considering they were using their cars as weapons in an attempt to potentially kill me, would there have been legal standing had I drawn on them? I was under age so I couldn't carry a gun at that point anyway, just curious though. Not sure if there is any precedent there. I imagine it'd be a losing battle without any witnesses or a camera since you couldn't prove it. And like mentioned otherwise, my bikes are plenty nimble to outrun 95% of the cars/trucks on the road, so why not flee.

When I rode, (geiserglide classic) I carried SOB w/XD.40). I didn't like the bag option cause some ah stole the bag I had attached to the sissybar.

I'm an older guy with some 55 years of mostly H-D riding. My current ride is an '07 FXDL Low Rider with detachable windshield. Over time, I've developed what is for me a comfortable method of concealed carry. I have a leather vest from Coronado Leather which offers interior cc pockets, right and left. In my right saddlebag, I carry a rolled-up glove-leather jacket purchased several years ago in Florence, Italy. Because the leather is soft and lightweight, it's natural to wear the jacket under the vest. This allows me to be sure I'll be able to stay warm and keep the vest on the outside and the gun accessible in any dry weather circumstance. (In wet weather, of course, I'll put a rain jacket over the vest.) In terms of gun choice, I find I can carry anything from a NAA Guardian in .32 to a Kahr PM9 to a Colt Officers model .45 - although this last is best left for short trips because of its weight. This past summer I took the Kahr on my ride from New England out to Glacier in western Montana, enjoying maximum comfort and zero cc problems.

I'm talking hogs and rockets here. No offense to the pedal type, but I haven't bothered with one of those since I was old enough to legally get behind the wheel (or bars in this case) of something with a motor.

So my Fisher-Price tricycle and I aren't welcome. Is that what you're telling me?

I'll answer anyways, Glock 19 AIWB in a PHLster Skeleton.

Whatever you carry, don't carry it near the spine, pelvis, ankles, thoracic region, femur, and not above the collar bone. Where ever you wreck, Murphy will make sure whatever is hardest will hit whatever can hurt the mostest. Keep it on the bike until after you get off the bike. Help out your local fire department and paramedics who are the ones that have to deal with the pain of a crashed motor cycle rider. If a ALS (paramedic) shows up, they have drugs. If BLS (emt) show up, they have ear plugs for themselves.

I wear the same thing I do all the rest of the time. A Glock 33 in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB.

I refuse to ride without full armor, in my case TourMaster Flex jacket and pants. They zip together in the back, completely eliminating any chance of accidental exposure.

Back