What do you think of my friend's philosophy on hunting bullets?

Young Buck you're wrong abt. only one thing...

And that is that you will get lots of disagreement and flames. Seems like everyone here is in agreement with you--and me--re First Freedom's friend. As Bryan Dale said, notice the silence. Nicely put, Brian!

I will tackle a different part of his flawed philosophies, the one which is that a FMJ bullet won't ruin meat. Full Metal Jacketed bullets can and will tumble, and are in many ways more unpredictable than a good soft point or controlled expansion bullet, as they can bend, break, and then take an unexpected left turn at the rump roast.

A .308" caliber FMJ bullet going sideways through the shoulder blade will ruin a lot of meat. Heck, a .308" bullet boring straight through can send enough bone splinters into the adjoining area to ruin a lot of meat.

Blood shot meat and bone splinters happen sometimes, As do gutshot deer. You make the most of it.

capnrik's Hornady 220 grain .30 will have been a roundnose, with a fairly heavy jacket. Such bullets generally plough a straight(ish) path as long as they do not clip the rounded surface of very heavy bone - or otherwise do not deform due to a thin jacket or other inconsistancy. This is why they were (and often still are) the mainstay of many dangerous game and pachyderm hunters. Some of the pioneering modern makers like A-Square started making them from homogenous heavy alloys that have a reputation, like the better traditional jacketed types, of being reloadable in some cases, the only "deformity" after impact being the engaving of the rifling.

It is well documented from the inception of such bullets and their use in places like Africa and India that a long heavy roundnose solid that rakes an animal from stem to stern (or visa versa) including the vitals, will ensure it's imminent demise. And their reliability in this regard means that an animal can be shot from any angle.

Pointed FMJ bullets on the otherhand are not stable, will sometime deviate wildly, and are subject to tumbling. But when they tumble they generally seem to turn once or twice and continue tail end first where the most weight is. I think velocity is probably a significant factor here, along with the actual bullet and size of the animal etc. I would say the smaller the animal the greater the likleyhood of a pointed bullet literally tumbling throughout it's path and exit.

I use an AK variant and find it is perfect for hogs in the brush I hunt in being that all shots are within 50 yards and sometimes very rarely I get a 75-100 yard shot. I use hollowpoints and have dropped every hog I've shot. A well-placed shot (head or high-neck) with solids should also work. As far as hunting ethics go, I don't see hogs as game. They root our pastures so badly and destroy fences so that it costs us money. I will not pass up eating a smaller sow under 150lbs, but anything bigger we can't seem to even give away, so we drag them to a corner of the pasture where we won't smell them much and let them feed buzzards. Hogs are ag-pests to us- no different than a big rat would be in your home.

As far as the .22 goes, I don't recommend it, but my brother-in-law's father has downed many pigs with one. He shoots the spine somewhere and claims they rarely run more than 20 yards. He likes to stun them so they'll bleed out quickly and taste good. He lives in the woods of deep-East Texas and is probably as good at killing hogs as I am at killing beers, so my guess is that he has developed his own way that works for him. I can say that at least he eats them all. It must be something they eat on our ranch that makes them taste so awful because other people here and elsewhere swear they taste great, but few of mine ever tasted any good.

If I cleaned all the hogs I killed, I could probably feed all the orphan kids in the State of Texas but after one bite of the biguns, they'd never eat another bite. I don't know why I draw such a line between deer and hogs. I'll take just about any shot I can on a hog (because they cost me money), yet, this deer season I passed on 26 deer that I couldn't get a head-shot on. Maybe it is because deer don't cost me anything and don't tear up anything but g'ma's roses (which I think is pretty funny anyway).

Wasting meat = inevitable.

Chance of having the animal you shot get away and die on it's own = deplorable.

I hunt with a .50 Black powder. Rule 1: Don't shoot unless your sure of your shot. (I practice till I can hit an 8" pie pan everytime with 5 shots at 100 yards.) Rule 2: Hit where you are sure you will bring the animal down cleanly and humanly. In the event of a runner, track and make sure. Rule 3: Use as much of the animal as you can, and cleanup the remains (bury at least 2 feet deep).

A .50cal BP round will do some serious damage and I have had whole front quarters wasted. But I don't care since the animal I shot died quickly and cleanly.

Back