What do you think of Kahr pistols?

I've owned a CM9 for years (and still carry it occasionally) and have a good bit of experience with the MK9. Both are well made, are good shooters, and both have been extremely reliable. I don't recall ever having a malfunction in my CM9, and I've shot a few thousand rounds through it over the years.

There was a time not very long ago, when the Kahr pistols were pretty much the only game in town if you wanted an extremely thin and compact 9x19mm pistol that was also reliable. The current hotness is obviously the Glock-style semi-cocked trigger, but the Kahr's DAO trigger, while longer, is still a very nice trigger - light enough and very smooth. I also feel that it's safer for such a small defensive gun.

I would recommend however, that you avoid any of the Kahr extended magazines. The polymer baseplates are flimsy, and you run the risk of these magazines puking out rounds on the ground. Stick to the flush mags with steel baseplates instead.

Last edited:
I only own one it's a CT9 I won it in a raffle at the gun range meeting.

What's not to like it shoots good probably better than me.

Polymer Kahrs are junk imo. After having three, all with issues, I won't own another polymer frame Kahr.
But,
I have an older K9 that I like very much. There is a night and day difference between their steel frame guns and their polymer frame guns, particularly their older steel frame guns.

The polymer baseplates are flimsy, and you run the risk of these magazines puking out rounds on the ground.

True that. Mine seem to hold well enough, but they need to redesign them a little for better service.

And the more round profile slide, the extra magazines and the lothar walther barrel.

As I mentioned... my CM9 has a more rounded slide than my PM9... but we are splitting hairs, here. I have not seen a significant difference in accuracy between my CM and PM, either... barrel quality not withstanding.

Pics of my PM9 (black slide) and my CM9...

uknNKa8m.jpg

uU4Z5sYm.jpg

gdkxgSZm.jpg

RO0egqpm.jpg

Honestly, unless you just need the bling of the all black slide, or you must have nightsights... it's difficult to recommend the P over the C given the extra cost.

I have an early E model that looks like it was chipped out of pig iron, but it shoots reliably and well. It did kick off the plastic front sight on the second outing but they replaced it with their compliments and it has stayed stuck ever since.
I have a CW from the NRA Banquet that has been fine all along. I gave it the 200 round break in but it was reliable from the start.

Pro: They are flat, an uncommon characteristic when they first came out, although other makers seem to be catching on.
The grip shape is comfortable in my hand and even the plastic CW is not an unpleasant kicker.
Con: The long DAO stroke is not really like a revolver and I find it a bit harder to hold.

Bamboozled again! I blame Rapidrob.
I always try to shut down necro-threads pretty quickly, but sometimes they take off like this one did. Once they do that, and folks start posting reasonably useful information to them, I just let them run.

As for Kahr pistols, they're on my "I'd like to have one one day" list. I know some really gun-smart guys that swear by them, and as far as I can tell, they're pretty good pistols. I just don't have anything that I'd be willing to sell to get one.

My first Kahr was a MK9 which was supposed to be all stainless. Why anyone would carry such a heavy gun for a 6+1 is beyond me. I know that it helps tame recoil, but it is uncomfortable. On top of that, It developed pit rusting on the slide from pocket carry, which is unacceptable. Maybe the MK9 Elite uses better stainless, but the MK9 never really made it into my carry rotation, especially since I had the Glock 26.

I bought and carried a PM9 for quite a few years when I switched from the Glock 26. It was a nice small package and it was reliable after the break in period. I even used it for my practical shooting club for a bit, but the long trigger was less than ideal for longer distance shots. I have been shooting for 25 years so, no, I'm not going to just get used to it. The Glock 43 has a better trigger stock, and a MUCH better trigger once it has been worked on (Agency Arms with Double Diamond connector). The aftermarket support for Glock is enormous compared to Kahr.

I believe that I only carried the Kahr one time after getting the Glock 43 and it is one of those NEVER AGAIN kind of experiences. I didn't have my Glock carry setup when Hurricane Irma hit South Florida. I carried my Kahr PM9 in the heat and humidity. I expected zero issues since it has a polymer frame and a blackened stainless slide. The internals are NOT RUST RESISTANT and they rusted on me to the point the the gun would not fire. You can call that abuse, but that would NEVER happen with Glocks. They have torture tested them in salt water for days without issue. In a poop hits the fan scenario, you don't have time to worry about your weapon. For me, Kahr failed the test and lost its place in my carry rotation. I cleaned it up and it works now, but it was a very uncomfortable feeling when I discovered that it was not functional.

The Glock 43 is head and shoulders above the PM9 and the new variants of Glock like the 43X should really take a lot of market share from Kahr. Those who live in humid, marine environments should avoid Kahr unless you can make sure to clean and oil your weapon regularly.

Last edited:
Charlie98 said: "A lot of people complain about the Kahr trigger... but the trade-off being no safety for a longer, very smooth trigger pull? I'll take that everyday and twice on Sunday for a CCW pistol. I did have to work with it quite a bit to get where I'm confident with it for carry, and is one of the reasons I only carry a Kahr, now, with rare exception."

Agree, also, I really like my P250SC and wonder why it never took off.

My opinion the M1 carbines and 1911 are the bottom rung of any options made in any country out there. Like anything else, the company has a following. The price is low. You take your chances. Are you going to bet your life on that or shoot tin cans and paper?

Back