• Stainless

Votes: 52 54.2%
  • Black

Votes: 39 40.6%
  • Flat Dark Earth

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Olive Drab Green

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some other color....... You should be ashamed of yourself.

Votes: 4 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheFineLine

I really prefer the stainless look, but my usual EDCs are black. I'm not a fan of color on firearms, but to each his own.. What about you?

Last edited:
Blued or black.

I have stainless guns, but I'm not really a stainless fan. Stainless steel is inferior to carbon steel in essentially everything but corrosion resistance, and there are plenty of treatments/finishes for carbon steel that fully negate that advantage. While I'm not likely to ever experience a practical difference, the fact that carbon steel is harder and tougher than stainless is attractive to me nonetheless. And, aesthetically speaking, stainless has absolutely nothing on a fine blued finish in my eyes.

I am a traditionalist and from that point of view, I was not impressed when handguns began to be made out of stainless steels rather than the traditional blue. However, after owning and using one for awhile, it became apparent that stainless steel handguns are the superior media for a handgun, not only for corrosion resistance, but wearability of the finish. The blue is eventually worn from all blued handguns leaving them with a worn look which lowers their value. Stainless however, is stainless all the way through and does not generally leave holster wear patterns typical of blued guns on the side of the muzzle and cylinder. In short, stainless guns will look better longer and logically retain their resale value significantly longer than blued.

When I saw my first stainless gun, a S&W 66, it appeared to have an unpleasant yellow cast that was off-putting. I much preferred the S&W blued equivalent, M19 at the time. However, current stainless steel handguns seem to have a more pleasant blue hue, which is way better to my eye. I have a later model (still pre-lock) that is of blue cast to it, so if I am not mistaken, S&W changed the Stainless type to a different one at some time or another. Anyone have any info on that?

Last edited:
Yes, a deep lustrous blue is a thing of beauty... but being a gunnut I'm biased because most guns tend to be beautiful in one way or another to me regardless of finish. That being said, I'm kind of in dahermit's camp for the reasons of durability and longevity he stated. Also for the resistance to corrosion of stainless on a daily carry piece.

They both looks nice , for a range gun id pick the SS. But for cc or HD id pick the black for more stealth and less refection to catch the eye.

The cosmetics really don't matter that much to me.
I went with "Black" but blued/dark/parkerized would work equally well.

Glossy Blue - think Colt Python and Korth
Finely brushed stainless
Sometimes mirror polished stainless, especially with contrasting dull stainless areas - think Colt Gold Cups with the Ultimate bright finish.

My favorite finish is Glossy Blue with some flat blue/black areas for contrast. It showcases the craftsmanship (or lack thereof) that went into a particular firearm. The polish, the sharpness of edges, details, lettering/logo, quality of bluing, flushness of screws and pins, etc.

Last edited:
I posted in general handguns so not 1911s in particular. I just happened to have those two handy. I like the stainless look mostly. However, I have a beautiful high gloss blued walnut stocked Savage 114 American Classic 30.06 I just love and an old blued Rossi snubby that sees alot of pocket, some M&Ps, and EBRs (American and Russian!). So its not that I don't like them it just something about the stainless.....floatin' my boat.

I just like'em.

So I'm just going to believe that the folks that picked other, are thinking blued, not pink, or you know, other fruity colors.

Back