What do you hunt camels with

They're called Jezails. A Jezail (to demonstrate the singular) is usually handmade. There are still groups in rural Afghanistan that make and use them, as well as in India. The crazy thing is that traditionally, they make everything themselves. The barrel, the lock, etc. The people who use them today still make their own POWDER. How cool is that!

You reloaders can cast your own bullets, but making your own powder is how real men do it.

They're were also usually designed for warfare rather than hunting, therefore they typically are larger caliber (.50 - .75).

I love Jezails. They have a really cool history.

EDIT - here's wiki link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jezail

What a neat gun! Thanks for sharing! I too was not aware of the hunting of camels, I thought it was going to be some kind of joke lol

During Desert Storm 1st Cav smoked a pack of camels with a couple of .50 BMG machine guns. I think the US Gov had to repay Saudi Arabia around $25,000 each for the 13 that were killed. It was not an intentional thing. They detected movement, and were told to fire a couple of burst and then check things out. Well when they checked things out it was a pack of wild camels.:eek:

I saw the pictures one of my friends in 1st Cav showed me.

Back