What do you consider practical max range for 30-30 on deer?

The distance at which you can ALWAYS hit an egg multiplied by two. Eggs make great targets, are cheap and explode well.

Try it. And they are biodegradable and thus you don't need to clean up your mess if you shoot out in the woods or in a dirt pit etc.

Glamdring, you are right. Sometimes I forget everyonoe doesn't reload. My press paid for itself by the third box. 44mag heavy loads are expensive here ($20+). I figure I got it in August (several years ago) for my birthday by Christmas it had paid for itself and saved me another $100 (which bought dies for my 9mm and 45). One thing I have noticed, I'm not really saving money I just shoot more.

OT - everyone needs a 22lr that matches their main CF's just for the economy of shooting. Try as I might I cann'e find a load for and CF .223 or larger rifle that even comes close to 22lr price per round.

Marlin 336 w/150 or 180 gr bullets.. 200-250 yards.

I know it can be done at longer range, but to me 250 is the limit on deer sized game, on elk its 200. Even with a scope, the 30-30 has a rainbow like trajectory. At past 250, you really need to be able to judge distance and know your ballistics.

Back