What do these revolvers have in common?

Geeze . . . this is so simple I feel like I'm back in 1st grade again!

What do they all have in common? Anybody can see it if they look hard enough . . . the answer is that none of them are made by Taurus!

Do I get a gold star for having the right answer? :-)

A nice looking herd you have there Saxon! Very nice!

I have always been attracted to 5" revolvers. On some models that's no problem. Others...impossible.

The first photo is a pair of 44 Specials. The others are 38s and one 357.

Two are police marked (the nickel 27-2 and the Colt).

But are they all truly five inches? :)

While I'm kidding, I'm also serious that Smith used
to have variances in their barrel lengths. I wouldn't
doubt that at least one of those 5-inchers is really
4 3/4 or 7/8 inches.

And others might be 5.2 inches or so.

I have always been attracted to 5" revolvers. On some models that's no problem. Others...impossible.

The first photo is a pair of 44 Specials. The others are 38s and one 357.

Two are police marked (the nickel 27-2 and the Colt).
Then you should acquire a 5" GP100 to compliment your collection as an accent piece. ;)

1740.jpg

Last edited:
Skeeter Skelton was quite enamored of the 5" S&W .357. I was able to obtain a 5" barrel and shroud for my Dan Wesson M-15.

S&W has always said that barrel lengths are nominal. Most 2" guns actually measure 1&7/8" for some reason. At some point they started adding 1/4" to revolver barrels because Canadian law forbids handguns unless the barrel was "over 4" in length."

S&W did not offer the Model 19 with a 5" barrel and even knowing a factory rep who tried, Smith would not make one for me. I did the second best thing by having a S&W service center cut a 6" barrel, pin a new ramp sight. ( early sights were pinned) and after having a duty holster custom made I had my dream pistol. The pistol handled beautifully and would fire tiny little groups from seven to sixty yards on the PPC course, I carried it for some time when the semi auto craze hit and a Model 39 replaced the revolver in my holster.
A five inch is rhe perfect length for a Combat Magnum in my opinion but Smith apparently did not think the same.

I had an assortment of 5" revolvers, cut off from 6", back when IDPA allowed them.
Really irked me when they disallowed them as "not readily concealable" and I had to have them cut again.

When I was in IDPA, knew a fella who'd just bought a 5-inch Smith .45 ACP.
And wouldn't you know it!

Seems like IDPA needed a bigger cigar box. :rolleyes:

Back