What do I have here? .375 WBY

I sent some pictures to Rock Island to find out what they would start the auction at. 1,500 to 1,800 starting. That still sounds low for this piece, but it might be the best way to find its highest value. As someone mentioned, gun broker with a high reserve could be interesting too. If I list it, I will post back. Thanks again

Mollymaster said:
As someone mentioned, gun broker with a high reserve could be interesting too.

Be prepared to sit on the rifle for a long time with a high reserve price. My biggest successes on GB was to do no reserve penny auctions. Everytime I tried a reserve auction I often received no bids and had to relist. An auction is always a little bit of a gamble.

I still believe Rock Island or other auction house will put the rifle in front of the right buyers better than GB. Unfortunately, custom rifles without being built or owned by someone of note in their respective communities bring about what buyers think the parts are worth. It is just the nature of the used custom gun market.

If you actually get anywhere near $1500 after shipping and fees on GB, I'd say you did very well. What you're trying to sell only appeals to a very small number of buyers. If it was a factory Weatherby rifle of the same era, you'd have an easier time marketing it.

Gun broker

I started listing the rifle on GB. At the very end I find out GB charges 2% fee upfront for a reserve auction. It was $200 fee whether it sells or not. Needless to say I canceled the listing. Im in the process of selling our home and buying another and havent had the time to look over the rock island proposal. From what I recall, their cut was 25% which gives me pause too. And the thought of shipping it these days with how unreliable all the shippers are is scary. I will revisit this next month

Nature of the beast, with selling used firearms. Any LGS is going to charge you at least around 15% to consign a firearm around here. More if they run it on GB, GA, and GI, as well as offer shipping.

I don't know what you were putting in for a reserve price, but I just priced selling a rifle with a $5K reserve and GB only wanted $127 for a 14 day auction with 90 day relist. Estimated final value fee was $208 if it sold for the reserve price. If your at $200 just to list, your not realistic in your reserve price. You need to find a professional to appraise the rifle, and not attach any sentimental value to it.

Auction houses like Rock Island charge a premium because they put in the work to get you the most money possible for your rifle. They take professional pictures, put out a sales catalog, advertise nationwide, handle shipping, and make sure tax laws are fillowed, they should be compensated for their efforts. They are doing work on your behalf that you can't easily do on your own.

If Rock Island is able to sell your rifle for $3000 but you can only get $1500 somewhere else, then is a 25% commission worth it? I mean they just just put $750 more in your pocket. Probably at least $900 more by the time you pay commission or fees to an LGS or internet site.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240501_115913_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20240501_115913_Brave.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 2
Back