What did I find?

railhunter15

Well, for my first post thought maybe to start with a pic of something I found in my back yard today. It is slightly (didn't weight as scale is at other house, currently moving) heavier than my solid block of range lead (36#). I can scratch it with my knife, handle is definitely molded into block.. when I tap on it and my current block, they KINDA sound the same.. ish.. A friend of the wife's who works around lead a lot (safety inspector or something like that) said it looks like a lead block.. It did kinda cut easy, but not as easy as the range lead.. What does anyone else think maybe?

Attachments

• 2013-05-28 14.56.09.jpg
    2013-05-28 14.56.09.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 201
Couple more..

Attachments

• 2013-05-28 14.57.00.jpg
    2013-05-28 14.57.00.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 2013-05-28 14.55.44.jpg
    2013-05-28 14.55.44.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 2013-05-28 14.56.02.jpg
    2013-05-28 14.56.02.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 85
definitely lead, can't imagine what it was for though, other than maybe a counter-weight for something. How big, and how much does it weigh?

4 3/4 x 4 3/4 x 9 3/4 inches.... don't have my scale here yet, but guessing between 37-40#'s... it's slightly heavier than the block of smelted range lead I have.. that weighs 36#. Was thinking possible counter weight, but it has wide flat handle shaped to carry, not a wire or cable like I would think for counter weight. The top is indented, and I am thinking for its size and rough weight it must be hollow... but I don't know.. weird thing is it was just sitting on the back porch... by the railing.. (we just moved in about a week ago..)

Well, if I'm figuring this right, if that were lead, it would weigh something like 85-90 pounds.

Your dimensions come out to 220 cubic inches. Lead weighs 0.39 pounds (6.24 ounces) per cubic inch.

That's at least 85 pounds.

Could be Vanadium or Gallium.:D;)

Actually, it literally COULD be vanadium, in theory. It matches your description on weight estimates per cubic inch.

Last edited:
A counter weight for a "strapped" stage curtian .

Strapped is a term used for the electric motor asm .

Theres 1,2 or even more on each side to assure the "strapp" stays tite.

I overhauled a gear box for a church 1 time .

Thats my plan. Will be couple weeks though. I'm out of propane, and heading out of town for vacation.. will cut a chunk off upon returning and try to melt it up!

Nnniiice! It probably is lead. If it's hollowish then the weight would be right in there. You probably have about 1500 bullets there!

It's ironic that the day before, I think, I had just read were couple guy's found a ton of lead bars in an old garage, someone found a bucket on side of road.. and I was thinking to myself, must be nice!! Won't get too excited till I try and melt her down and pour some up though... lol.

If it is lead then it will be used to feed my
.45 acp (200gr SWC, target only),
.44 mag (310gr GC RF, target for now, later hunting too)

For target round's, from what I have found out on here, not pure would be better, maybe add 1-2% tin solder for better fill out? I know barrel fill out is key, hardness comes in sec, slightly. No, I don't have a hardness tester. Did finish reading Lee's modern reloading, sec ed.. and actually was wondering on that..

Most on here, and everywhere else for that matter says fit first, and keep velocity down and work up.. But for most part in Lee's book, he say's it isn't really velocity that hurts the boolit, or causes leading, but too much chamber pressure. Start with a lower pressure and work up till accuracy declines/ leading starts.. and the "type of pressure too.. a quick hitting spike of chamber pressure would or could not get boolit to seal well, deforming boolit, whereas not enough won't make base of boolit form fit barrel.. Chapter 10 in his book was a real good read!

No, can't scratch with thumb nail, only knife. Also, I tried to drill it out to see if hollow, and it is very hard and only little, lite flakes ribbon off.. I tried to drill out my block of range lead and bit dug right in, thick heavy ribbons came right off.. so now I really don't know what I found.. for as far as I could drill in it doesn't appear to be hollow now, but will try again with better bit soon. I will try and post pics of shavings... And of course once I get some more propane I will try and melt it too.. but couple weeks for that.

Here are some pics of the shavings.. Round block is range lead..

Attachments

• 2013-06-01 16.56.45.jpg
    2013-06-01 16.56.45.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 2013-06-01 16.57.21.jpg
    2013-06-01 16.57.21.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 66
  • 2013-06-01 16.57.37.jpg
    2013-06-01 16.57.37.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 62
Well this just gets more and more interesting! I guess you are gonna have to melt it and see what temp makes it liquid. :confused:

Back