What CC handgun/pistol qualities are most important to you?

familiarity has already been mentioned

I want something that my muscle memory recognizes instantly. Reliability is of utmost importance. Control of recoil would get a high degree of consideration as well.

Great "Question" post.

I agree with all the above.

I vary my conceal carry on my environment. Part of my concealed carry scenario does not necessary involve on my body. I live in a rural lake area. Riding around on the back roads include having a .45 ACP (either a Sig P220 or a P250) in the center console.

Going to town means one of my 9mm's (primary concealed carry is a Sig P250 sub-compact adapted to compact round capacity).

Then there is on the water. I will be carrying my old rugged Haskell .45 ACP (also can serve as an emergency boat anchor). Normally with me will also be an old Polish Flare Gun kit. The kit includes flares, sub-caliber devices in both .22 caliber and .45 Colt/.410. The ammo in the kit includes22 rim-fire, 45 Colt rounds and 3" .410 rounds (both slugs and shot shells).

Last edited:
I'm with vegaSSG32. :)

I too have a Sig P250c 40sw but just the gun. It is a simple pistol that's reliable, easy, smooth and long trigger. Also true DAO. No external safeties but have internal firing pin block for drop safety. Never jammed and eat all the USA ammo I can find, my favorites are FTXs and PDX1s both 165g.

The pistol is rugged and smooth operating and big enough to house a 45acp. In fact it's a modular gun meaning it can be a 380, 9mm, 357sig, 40sw and 45acp. Barrels, slides and grips are interchangeable in three sizes.

And you can't beat the price for this beauty. :)

The top three requirements for my SD weapon are as follows.

1. Reliability
2. Reliability
3. Reliability

If it doesn't go bang when you need it too, you might as well carry a club.

For me:
Reliable, controllable, and concealable.

I find capacity to be a non issue because I always carry two extra mags. Even with my little pm9 that gives me 21 rounds which better be enough to get the job done.

For me--
1. Concealability. I don't care how reliable it is--if I cannot effectively conceal it, I won't carry it. This has excluded pretty much any double-stack from my inventory.
2. Reliability. It has to work, every time; otherwise, what's the point?
3. Ability to shoot reasonably well. This is where the rubber meets the road. My Kahr PM9 and my S&W 642 are similar in weight and size, and both are dead-nuts reliable. But I shoot the Kahr better. A bunch better. I can pick it up after six months' absence and shoot it better than I do the j-frame, after shooting the j-frame twice a month for six months. Five years ago, I thought that was a fluke, and sold all my j-frames. Eighteen months ago, I bought another j-frame. Guess what? It's still true. Which one will go out the door with me tomorrow? Take a guess. :)
4. Confidence in pistol/round. I have more confidence in a .45acp than I do in a 9mm/etc. I shoot a 1911 (even a 3" alloy framed 1911) better than anything else. So I carry a 1911 whenever I can do so. In practice, this turns out to be about 50% of the time. As much as I liked (note the use of the past tense) my two LCPs (and they were exceedingly easy to carry and perfectly reliable) I no longer own one. Right or wrong, I just don't trust the cartridge. The PM9 is only a bit larger, but I shoot it better and I trust the 9mm +p+ more than I will ever thrust the .380.

YMMV.

Whatever your decision is, make sure you base it upon objective criteria.
Best regards, Rich

Edited to add: You will note that capacity did not enter into the conversation (for me). While I understand that the day may come when I will face multiple determined attackers, I have done that calculation to my satisfaction. I hope I have done it correctly. :D

1) Reliability.
2) Everything else.

:D

That's the easy answer. To break it down a little further, though, it goes something like this:
1) Reliability. It must go bang when it need it to, no ifs, ands, or buts.
2) Caliber.
3) Capacity.
4) Accurate.
5) Concealable.
6) Comfortable.

It must be comfortable and easy to carry, and easy to conceal.
If it's too big, too bulky, or too heavy, it's going to stay at home.
This is a lesson that I have learned, denied, and had to re-learn time and time again.

Reliability is a must for obvious reasons.

I have to be able to shoot the handgun well and with reasonable accuracy.

Caliber and capacity are really not too big of a concern for me these days.

1) Comfortable to carry
2) Concealability
3) Caliber, at least 9mm but I prefer .45acp
4) Capacity of at least 6 rounds

I guess I am at a loss of why so many people mentioned reliability as a needed attritbute for a carry pistol. Why you ask? Because for me if a firearm I own isn't reliable it doesn't stay mine for very long. Well, let me qualify that. If it is a collectable firearm and not something for self protection or hunting then reliability has little to do with my desire to own it.

Reliability. I bought a Beretta Nano that had eject and feed problems. I would not carry it. I bought something else.

Comfort while carrying in concealment. I have a number of IWB holsters. I don't like any of them. Just uncomfortable. I carry OWB, so I like guns that are thin to help conceal. Small is good as well. SR9C with a pull over shirt is about right for me. When I can not dress like this, I often pocket carry a Diamondback DB9.

Capacity is not at all important to me. Most gun fights are over in less than 5 rounds. The more bullets you shoot, the more likely you will hit something / someone, that you really didn't intend to. Each bullet has an Attorney attached. Not one in your behalf, but one that wants to sue you or put you in jail if possible.

Can fit in pockets. I won't be embarking on the Tao of holsters and acquiring the mandatory, so I've read, drawer full of failed candidates.
Reliable.
Reliable.

1) reliability. 2) safe to carry. Like not prone to go bang if dropped. Won't fire unless trigger is pulled. Da or dao trigger. Kinda an extension of reliability. 3) accurate enough for combat shooting. 4) caliber. Must be an effective caliber with good defensive ammo selection. 5) concealiabilty. 6) capacity. Must be at least 5 shots for reload. 7) simplicity and familiarity.

Size: If it isn't with me because I hate having it on me or it isn't easily concealable, it is useless. A gun with me is better than no gun at all.

Reliability: This isn't a big issue with most modern guns, but if I pull the trigger, it better shoot!

Enjoyable: if I don't like shooting it, I won't practice with it. What good is a gun if I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it?

All other things are just icing on the cake. I'm a firm believer that accuracy and speed come with practice.

She3pdog. Exactly. My Colt 1911, my Sig P226 and S&W 627 are awesome handguns. While they are all super accurate and ultra reliable, they are too bulky for me to conceal effectively or carry comfortably.

The Glock 26 on the other hand...

Back