What cartridge would you choose for long range big game hunting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L-o-o-o-o-n-g shots

Friend, don't do it. It is not necessary. If the game in any area is so spooky that you have to shoot at it beyond 300 yards they may need a rest, don't you think?:)

This not meant as criticism, just my little two cents worth of honest opinion.:o

since you reload i would think a 300win mag would fit the bill, same bullets or heavier than 308 and 30-06 going faster a + for long range, you keep repeating the term "long range" and its hard to argue with what will make the distance because mostly all will, the question is how will they behave in the wind/conditions and what type of energy will that round be able to deliver, all basic ballistics if you ask me, look it up and compare drop charts/wind/energy it will soon start to be clear which outshines who for "long range", what type of game are you taking? a 300 win mag will take anything in the u.s if not nothing else can do much better or theres always the 338 lapua being you want to go custom, get a stiller with a krieger and a aics with a nightforce and there you go :cool: how much do you want to spend and how far do you want to go? a 250gr will devastate and do its job on elk and anything even close to that size, a 300gr should be good medicine of a grizzly, but a good 210 or 230gr 300win mag(since you reload) should do both really well and at distance you wont be facing a charging animal, doubt any of them will make it past 50 yards with a solid hit.;)

My Remington .308 carbine took down this pronghorn buck at approx 325 yards. At the shot the animal toppled right over and kicked a few times.

Jack

JFlongshotfin.jpg

I've been hunting with a 7mm rem mag since 1986. Long shots have been rare, but do happen where J:cool: hunt. Longest shot in that time was 472 yards on. A coues deer down in sonora,

The caliber I'd think about would be the 6.5-06, which is like the 260 Remington with a little extra muscle. The recoil would be reasonable, so that practice wouldn't be unpleasant. I'd then get a really good rangefinder and a really expensive scope with dial-the-distance turrets. All that would be wasted, however, on somebody that hasn't hunted and target shot for years (a comment NOT aimed at the OP). That'd be a decent set-up for deer, coyote, and pigs. I doubt that's enough power for larger animals. As for shooting game at 500 or 600 yards, that's up to each person, but I"ll pass. I'll shoot at a coyote at 400, but I keep the deer shooting at about 300 max, and only if it's under ideal conditions. For me, 500 yards is just out of the question for several reasons.

If you are talking of an Uberdistancesmashemboomer, and cost is not part of the equations but a less common caliber is, why not go for a .308 Norma Mag or a .30-338 or even one of the H&H's?

Personally, my choice would probably be the 7mmSTW for those times when you absolutely, positively, without a doubt needed to reach out and touch something.

Now, if you are wanting some real knockdown power out at long range, check out the custom built 700 a friend made. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFYXTH7Gdhk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back