What Caliber should I Choose for Iowa and California Hunting

The Ruger American Ranch in 450 Bushmaster is good for Iowa deer, and is a very reasonably priced rifle. With a decent scope (Burris 2-7x40 possibly) it is capable out to 200 yards, but that is about the max...in my opinion. The economical entry price allows for another rifle more suitable for longer range later, but the 450 is plenty sufficient for elk.

I'm given to understand that California has some restriction on lead bullets for hunting. I've heard some places you can hunt with a bullet that has lead in it. IF this is true, that seriously complicated your decision.

I'd suggest finding out exactly what is legal for what you want to hunt in California, then see if any of those are on the Iowa list.

This is not a question of what works, what works best for which game and conditions, but a question of what satisfies arbitrary restrictions in two widely different states.

I do have a question about the list you provided...

44 automagically

Is that what the state game law actually says? Or could it be an "autocorrect" turning .44 Auto Mag into something else?

"...besides the 45-70..." The .444 Marlin or 450 Bushmaster. Do the Walmart Test first. That'd be seeing if either cartridge is available in a local Wally World. If you can't find ammo there, it's unlikely to be found in small places either.
"...Marlin 1895 in 45-70 from Walmart for around $300..." Wally World did have 'em on "Close Out" at $299, but in 2016.
"...41 Action Express..." Take that one off any list for anything. There is no ammo, brass or firearms. The cartridge isn't suitable for anything but small game up close anyway.

Ive looked for 45-70 in lead free and there are plenty of options. So using the 45-70 in Iowa and California is no problem. The only thing that sucks is the price. I didn't see much lead free for the .444.

At this point Im fine with getting something just for Iowa to get a deer. I'd also like it to have cheaper ammo so I can take it to the range and practice. Not saying the 45-70 is out of the question!!! But I am exploring other rounds and rifle options.

I checked my local walmart and they are selling their Marlin 1895 45-70 for $650. Ive found it for $600 cheapest.

@44 AMP That was a autocorrect. It is the 44 auto mag. Also, matching a bullet for both states is exactly what I am trying to do but it is a lot harder than I thought (considering the distance I will be hunting for the different animals and the legality/limitations of the cartridge).

Im gonna keep doing research, head to a gun store today, and try to go to a gun show this weekend. Id like to spend as little as possible (duhh).

Id still like to get a lever gun and Im still leaning towards the 45-70 chambering. If you guys know of any deals, please let me know.

Thanks for all the advice and Id still like to hear what you guys have to say!

Thanks Gunmen,
Yowakawaka

You could probably do the two gun thing for under the price of a 45-70. Used 12 gauge pump shotguns are easy to find under $200. Look for one with a slug barrel and you’ll be set for Iowa. Then if an elk opportunity comes up consider saving for a Savage Axis or Mossberg Patriot in 30-06.

The new rifle entry to the "straight wall states" is the 350 legend.

Practice ammo (WW 145 FMJ) is cheap, but some people have been having quality concerns with it. Several ammo makers are selling hunting ammo at ok prices.

Recoil is less than the big 44/45 cal rifles, you are not going to get much flatter shooting in Iowa and it seems to be working pretty good based on what I have seen from the 350 Legend Facebook group postings.

There are several entry level bolt actions that would be good for someone new to guns. Of the choices, the Ruger Ranch seems to have a lot of happy customers as does the Savage Axis. It looks like Savage has a rebate going and a gun with scope can be had for under $300.

There are no lever guns for this offering but there are ARs. The ARs are probably not the best choice for a gun novice and I am not sure if any of the AR platforms are appropriate for taking into the state that I do not even want to mention (if you can not say something good - say nothing).

Last edited:
If you do end up getting two rifles, as it sounds like you're leaning towards now, for cost efficiency I'd go with a Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster for Iowa. Might not have quite the oomph of the 45-70 but much easier on the wallet.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/736676169504

As far as for Cali, a 30-06 would certainly do but if I were buying specifically for elk and ammo costing a little more wasn't a big deal, I'd look at a 300 Win Mag or 7mm Rem Mag just for the extra oomph. Regardless of which you choose, all three calibers have plenty of affordable bolt actions available. Heck, I think the T/C Compass is available in all three and is running under $250 right now with an MOA guarantee. Non-lead loads (thanks Cali!) are available for all three as well, though .30-06 would probably be the easiest to find.

The new rifle entry to the "straight wall states" is the 350 legend.

Practice ammo (WW 145 FMJ) is cheap, but some people have been having quality concerns with it. Several ammo makers are selling hunting ammo at ok prices.

Recoil is less than the big 44/45 cal rifles, you are not going to get much flatter shooting in Iowa and it seems to be working pretty good based on what I have seen from the 350 Legend Facebook group postings.

There are several entry level bolt actions that would be good for someone new to guns. Of the choices, the Ruger Ranch seems to have a lot of happy customers as does the Savage Axis. It looks like Savage has a rebate going and a gun with scope can be had for under $300.

There are no lever guns for this offering but there are ARs. The ARs are probably not the best choice for a gun novice and I am not sure if any of the AR platforms are appropriate for taking into the state that I do not even want to mention (if you can not say something good - say nothing).

From what I've read online, theres been some question as to the legality of the .350 Legend in Iowa. Reason being there was/is some confusion on the actual diameter of the bullet. This article gives some good background. If Iowa says it's good to go, I'd definitely give it a hard look. But you definitely would want to call Iowa DNR first.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/whats-going-on-with-350-legend/

@44 AMP That was a autocorrect. It is the 44 auto mag.

Thank you. I thought that likely. I have an interest in any mention of the .44 Auto Mag Pistol cartridge.

I find I often shoot spritzer bullets, thanks to auto correct, among other irritating things.

Are you in any way interested in a single shot rifle for hunting? The T/C Contender or Encore could be fitted with a straight wall cartridge barrel for Iowa game and another caliber barrel for California game, at less cost than two complete rifles.

However, the limitations of the single shot might not be to your taste, and there's nothing wrong with that.

I used to have a Marlin .45-70, and it was a fine gun, puts the .30-30 in the shade in many ways, including recoil! :D Gave it up in favor of a Ruger No.3 carbine, which is short and light, and hits hard on both ends.

You ABSOLUTELY have to consider one thing if you don't reload. California REQUIRES non lead ammunition now. So if you can't buy ammo that is loaded with a CERTIFIED non lead bullet you can not use it for hunting in California.

"Well first time hunter, I'd strongly suggest staying out of California."

If I dead the OP's original post correctly he said he was from California. He just might want to go back. Family, friends and what not.

He prefers to use a lever action. Well maybe he should search through gun shows and on the web on various hunting sites to see if maybe he could find one secondhand. That is an option. As for a lever action for elk, the 45-70 will work under the right conditions but would not be best if longer shots might be the rule. Browning make a lever action (BLR) and I believe they make one chambered to the 30-06 which might work for the OP.

Feeding a 45-70 with factory ammo can get expensive do I do recommend the OP learn to reload his ammo.
Paul B.

From what I've read online, there's been some question as to the legality of the .350 Legend in Iowa. Reason being there was/is some confusion on the actual diameter of the bullet. This article gives some good background. If Iowa says it's good to go, I'd definitely give it a hard look. But you definitely would want to call Iowa DNR first.

The .350 Legend is a junk round, designed for guys looking for a low-recoil option. It ain't a 'Legend' yet, as the terminal field results on deer are inconclusive.

For a hunting cartridge to use in restrictive 'straight-wall' states, including mine, I went with the tried-n-true 45-70 in a Marlin SBL. I chose it mainly for the cartridge's versatile reloading possibilities.

Not to mention, the 45-70 has been killing critters - big & small - since before Custer's last stand.

Iowa officials did sign off on the 350 legend as being OK. This is based on the ammo boxes calling it 0.357" even though it measures 0.355". This is not entirely crazy as the mfg tolerances for 357 magnum ammo allow it to be under 0.357". Many Iowa hunters have used it this year.

Yes the 444 or 45-70 in stout lever actions are bigger and badder guns.

Entry level bolt gun cost, field accuracy (bolt gun, flatter shooting, wind drift, etc) and recoil of the 350 legend are advantages.

I really do not understand people badmouthing the 350 Legend performance. It duplicates 357 Maximum ballistic performance. Several makers are supplying 350 legend ammo with better hunting bullets than were available for the 357 Maximum. The 357 maximum single shots have done quite well on deer even with less than optimum bullets. And by the way, reports are that the 350 legend seems to be working just fine for deer in the straight wall states.

The OP has stated he really wants cheap ammo so he can practice. Since he is smart enough to want to practice, lets compare some Cheaper Than Dirt ammo prices.

350 Legend: $10 practice (as low as $8 elsewhere), $22 hunting
450 Bushmaster: $28
45-70: $28 (cowboy action for practice), $34 hunting
444: $34

An entry level bolt gun (around $350 with scope) is close to half the cost of a lever gun.

Based on the above, an entry level bolt gun in either 350 legend or 450 bushmaster seems a better fit (less on gun means more ammo for practice) than a 45-70 or 444. The cost of practicing with the 350L would be 1/3 the cost for the others.

Last edited:
I understand there are some big deer in Iowa but it seems to me that most discussion on the internet drastically overstate how tough these critters are. They are routinely enough taken with .357 Magnum revolvers around here. The 350 is not far off the .243 and it does just fine. Is the 350 Legend enough for deer? Absent compelling evidence to the contrary I would be left wondering why not.

BUT the OP originally mentions Elk. Is the 350 enough for Elk? Not the "a very experienced hunter who takes a selective shot from a short distance" enough but "enough" for the average hunter? That one I do not know as my experience with Elk borders zero.

450 Bushmaster

I understand there are some big deer in Iowa but it seems to me that most discussion on the internet drastically overstate how tough these critters are.
I agree but don't tell anyone about our deer. I also agree that there toughness is over stated. The big-boys are not rare. Their toughness is proportional to their size. ..….. :)

I'd recommend the .450-Bushmaster and even though you did not ask, in an AR-Platform.

Be Safe !!!

Back