What Caliber should I Choose for Iowa and California Hunting

Yowakawaka

Inactive
Hi everyone,

First time posting to this site. From past experiences, Ive learned to ask the people who are getting their hands dirty (you guys on forums/in the fields). Im also new to guns and hunting so don't know a whole bunch about them except for the research I've been doing lately, so bare with me. Also, I don't know about advantages/disadvantages of different types of ammo.

Im originally from California and moved to Iowa for school. Iowa just opened hunting with a rifle if you use a straight wall cartridge. Ive already taken all steps to hunt so now I need to get a gun. Ive been looking into a lever action (Marlin/Henry). Specifically the 45-70.

My question is, what other round would you suggest other than 45-70 and why? Remember, I want to be able to use the rifle in Iowa and California for deer and eventually Elk.

Here is a list of rounds that can be shot in Iowa from a rifle to hunt.
357 magnum
357 maximum
357 winchester
38 super
40 S&W
401 powermac
10 mm auto
41 Remington magnum
41 action express
44 S&W special
44 Remington magnum
44 automagically
444marlin
445 super mag
45 ACP
45Colt
45 Winchester Magnum
45 Silhouette
450 Bushmaster
451 Detonics
454 Casull
45-70 Gov
460 Rowland
460 S&W
480 Ruger
50 action express

Here is a link for ammo (by manufacturer) to hunt in California
https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Hunting/Nonlead-Ammunition/Certified

Again, I am wondering if there is a better round that I should be considering besides the 45-70.

Thanks in advance gunmen,
Yowakawaka

The only other rifle round on the list is 444 Marlin. You might want to consider that, but it's hard to go wrong with the old 45-70. Ohio has a more extensive list, including 38-55, which I carry here.

many of those are also available in rifle like the 357 and 357 max; but I think the 45-70 would be the best for all around use for your wants.

Definitely the Herter's .401 PowerMag.

Total 'Old School' round, way ahead of its time. Closest ballistic analog in a modern cartridge would be the 10mm Magnum.

You'll be the first and only kid on your block with a gun chambered for the .401 P-Mag. Too cool for school.

Last edited:
You not only have to consider the regs in OH but also CA. Keep in mind that in CA you cannot fire a bullet in the field that contains lead, so you would have to see which has non-lead ammo or bullets available. I have a 444 Marlin, and I can get non-lead ammo for it. 450 Bushmaster and 45-70, same. 44 Mag and 357 Mag, same. So look at your choices and narrow the field a little and then decide.

Another thing to consider is the ballistics and the weight of the firearm. 45-70s tend to have a pretty arched trajectory, 444 or 357 Max do not. May not make a huge difference shooting under 100 yds, but if you need to reach out to 200+ the 444 and 357 Max shoot flatter so range estimation is not so critical.

Where do you expect to hunt Elk? I ask because you might be better served by two different rifles. It's true that there are several good choices where one caliber would be equally good for both Deer and Elk.... But in your case, you are trying to comply with local regulations that rule out a lot of the best Elk calibers. Sure, a 45-70 or 444 Marlin would make good on Elk in the Timber where 150 yards would be one of the longer shots anticipated. But if you are hunting terrain where longer shots are anticipated, something more like a 30-'06 would be a whole lot better tool for the job.

For the cost of an Elk hunt, a decent rifle for the hunt is a drop in the bucket of the overall expense. To that end, I agree with the poster who said 2 rifles. Of those on your list other than a 45-70, the 444 Marlin. Because you can make reasonable shots out to 200 yards or so.

triple 4

Will you be reloading?

The 444 has been my big game rifle (Marlin) for many years with great success.

Also, the 357 Rem MAX is an underrated cartridge that is a reloader's dream you should look into.

Ive never hunted before. I have someone that is going to take me and show me everything I need to know. Unfortunately he doesn't know about guns. His are passed down from his dad.

@Pathfinder45 Im planning to hunt for Elk in California. For now I just want to get a deer while I'm in Iowa. Also, you are right, I am trying to get a gun that can be used in both California and Iowa for deer and elk. The 30-06 is what I originally wanted but it won't work for the area I need.

@ammo.crafter I don't think Ill be reloading. Id imagine it would take one well placed shot to take down the deer/elk. But then again, Ive never been hunting

This is great advice everyone. @Scorch I never know that 444 and 357 Max shoot flatter.

So what I am understanding from your advice is 45-70 is probably not as recommended over the 444, 357, 357 max, .401 powermag ( @agtman mentioned ) because it won't shoot as far? Can you guys give me a little more details in the differences. I'm gonna spend some time looking into them as well.

I don't have a huge budget so I want to get something that I can enjoy for a long time.

Thanks Gunmen,
Yowakawaka

One important question that hasn't been asked.. what is YOUR max distance that you are comfortable shooting at. Depending on that, the 45-70 not being the flattest shooter may not matter a whole lot.

Since you don't reload, and not a lot of experience, I would recommend the 45/70 because I believe there are more factory loadings available for it, and if you will used 300gr loadings, it will shoot flat enough for 200yds, if you sight in for 150 yds.

As others have stated, 2 rifles might be better, second one being the 30-06

I'll echo the 2 rifle idea as well, regardless of the answer to my question above. With as inexpensive as decent quality bolt actions are nowadays, you could get two more than adequate rifles for less than you probably think.

If you are dead set on the 1 rifle thing though, I'd probably lean towards the 45-70 idea OR look at the Ruger American or Savage 110 in 450 Bushmaster personally.

I think you guys are right. Im trying to do 2 different jobs with the same tool. I wanted to get a lever action but now I'm thinking its not the right choice for now. I figured Id splurge on it but it really won't do exactly what I want. This kind of advice is why I came to you all!!!

Whats a good cheap rifle (like $300 bucks) that can take down a deer with Iowa legal rounds and has cheap ammo so I can take it to the range and not burn a hole in my pocket?

Side note - I hear you can get a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 from Walmart for around $300. Is this true? Ive looked online and didn't find anything. If so, Ill go get it ASAP. The cheapest I've seen is around $600 and up. I was willing to spend the $600 if it'll do everything I want it to do but for $300 its a sealed deal.

Sorry, I know this took a turn.

Thanks Gunmen,
Yowakawaka

While you can do elk hunting with the 45-70 and 444 Marlin, i'm another to recommend 2 guns.
For just starting out in Iowa you may want to look at a used Rossi R92. Available in 357 Mag, 45 Colt, and 44 Mag.
All will kill a deer if you do your part.

Although if you want a bolt action gun the Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster would be hard to beat.

Best of luck!
And welcome to the forum!

Two rifles, 44 mag for Iowa. For California a bolt action in any caliber 26 and up. I'd narrow it down to 6.5 CM, 7-08 or 308 but most anything will work.

You should check with Calif DOW and find out how long on drawing elk tag.

I know my nephew was almost 15 yrs to draw his elk tag. You might want to check Iowa also.

All the cartridges he listed will work, shoot, guy's kill elk with a bow! Question would seem to be what would be better including California and elk. Well first time hunter, I'd strongly suggest staying out of California. I wouldn't go into California to visit a dying friend! But a rifle for elk, while it would not bother me to use a 243, I wouldn't, there's better cartridges for the new guy. I think for the new guy, a 30 cal would be best. Rason being I suspect a 30 cal bullet at about 180gr will penetrate better than smaller cartridge's with lighter bullet's. First time hunter probably not real familiar with bullet placement just might take a shot requiring a lot more penetration than something smaller than a 30 cal can provide. I wouldn't suggest any magnum either. New guy just might not care for the recoil of magnums! 30-06, mine anyway, has noticeably more recoil than my 308. Not objectionable but I've been shooting close to 55 yrs now, well over 55 years now! Make's a difference knowing what's probably gonna happen when you fire the shot!

On his list for Iowa I'd rule out everything in a handgun cartridge but the rifle cartridge's he did mention I have never shot. Still they will out perform the handgun cartridges I would think. Looks like that leaves him with the 444 Marlin and the 45-70, might be some pretty good recoil in them. If so and he does learn to shoot them well, either would work on elk any where out west. As I said, guy's hunt elk with a bow in every state out here.

Back