what caliber do you use, and what do bad guys use

Status
Not open for further replies.

WildBill45

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/GUIC.PDF

It seems that bad guys like .38 special, with the mouse calibers ... .25 and .32 ... beating out .357 mags, and other calibers...

SO ... WHATS IN YOUR SAFE? For street use and home protection in regard to caliber, and why???

I would think the 9mm is climbing fast with the .45 ACP right behind, but do the stats back that up???

A lot of folks say they NEVER carry smaller than 9mm, but I bet folks that say NEVER, never carry everyday either...

The calibers of you ladies and men out there that are carried everyday ... what are they, real facts not WHAT You may one day, but right now, what caliber and why so we get a feel for what is going here on the site where folks are more informed...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 9.26.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-27 at 9.26.00 PM.png
    24.2 KB · Views: 141
I carry 45acp...at home or away. And always with an extra mag. Sometimes carry a 25acp pocket gun, depending on how I'm dressed.

my current EDC is well..
An ASTRA A-60 in 380
13+1, eats everything I have fed her, never once a FTE/FTF
All steel frame makes her a little heavy but sure isn't bad.

People say the 380 is inadequate for personal defense however I can't find one of them willing to take 14 rounds of 380's to prove me wrong.

234BCD52-087D-44E9-A05C-EF6DD925E343_zpssqb88c26.jpg

9mm for this cowboy.

Excellent for defense: enough power with todays hollow points and +P or +P+ loadings, manageable recoil for fast follow up shots, inexpensive to train with, all the experts have said there is almost no difference between 9mm stopping power vs. .40 and .45... so why not go 9??

My EDC is 9mm, .380 when I can't carry anything else, .45 acp, .38 special, and even a .32 from time to time, just for variety.

Everything that I have is in 9mm, and it's funny how many people that talk about it being a weak, ineffective caliber aren't willing to stand in front of one and get shot with it.

Realistically, they wouldn't let you throw rocks at them either, but a pocketful isn't a good defensive strategy

Modern bullets have made the 9mm far more effective than it used to be

The "most popular" are still
1. 9MM Luger
2. 40 S&W
3.38 Spl
4. 45 acp
5. 380 acp

Daily its .40 Glock 22/27 for work. After work it really depends on clothing and anticipated risk. G27 or SW 642 are regulars. In gym shorts I often have an LCP. Im a believer that the best gun to have is the one you have with you when needed.

People knock small calibers, but I guarantee that 6 rounds of any caliber is going to persuade an assailant to go elsewhere. I would not voluntarily go into a gunfight with something that did not start with a "4" in the caliber but most are not intentionally going to gunfights and any caliber would do the job. I used to carry a little Beretta .22 short. I practiced emptying the mag into a head shot in a matter of seconds. I think it would leave a mark:) I now do the same thing with the LCP although I am becoming more attached to my new G42.

Most scum bags carry whatever they steel. There seems to be some street swag and brag factor for 9 mm. Mostly its about high volume and spraying bullets.

9mm G19 for HD for me. I'm not using any fancy gun that'll be lost in the evidence locker.

"A lot of the gang bangers are using revolvers so they don't leave casings as evidence..."

Has any crime been solved from casing evidence?

Every day carry-.45(1911-commander) or .357(sp-101) 50/50 split.Reason I went with those calibers is because those are the number 1 and 2 calibers that I train with at the range,have nothing against 9 mm just haven't found the right one for me yet.And at home it's the same two.

A lot of the gang bangers are using revolvers so they don't leave casings as evidence...
My guess is they're using revolvers because when they turn the gun sideways and don't hold the gun correctly, you get 'limp wrist' failures with semi autos. No such thing with a wheel gun.

:D

You realize those stats are over 20 years old? Early 80's through 90's most bad guys had a cheap .25 auto,380 or RG revolver or whatever they could steal. And, if they stole something nice, they sold it or pawned it and carried the pos guns.

It was a running joke that if you caught a bad guy with a nice Colt or Smith, go ahead and run it to confirm its stolen.

Now we usually see bad guys with Glocks and other high cap pistols. Usually in 9mm. It's whatever they stole in the last BMV or residential burglary. A used Glock doesn't have the great resale on the street, they are pretty cheap anyway, so the hooks keep them.

EDC Conceal Carry

My standard carry is one of 4 pistols:
Glock 22 40sw
Springfield Armory Upgraded Loaded model 45acp
Sig Sauer P226 40SW
Sig Sauer 1911 Tac Ops 45acp

I am a great believer that larger caliber will guarantee to stop bad guys specially with a couple of well place shots into the sternum or just go for the head shot and end the fight quicker.

For Home:
12ga PDX1
5.56x45mm NATO MK262 ammo
7.62x39mm Winchester PDX1

Last edited:
I carry a variety of stuff depending on what I'm doing, what I'm wearing, and where I am. During the summer, it's usually 9mm or .38 special. In colder weather with more clothing, I might carry .45 or .327. If I'm going to be out in the woods or a remote area, it's usually .357.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back