What caliber do you think should be on my list?

.375 Ruger

You never know when a Water Buffalo is going to appear in your back yard.

Last edited:
Water Buffalo in PA?

No water buffalo in Pennsylvania, but we do have a limited number of elk tags issued every year. Native elk were all gone by 1877, but re-introduced in 1913 up into the 20's. 1000 lb animal with a LOT of meat! There is an elk tag lottery, but good luck... currently you have about one chance in over 400 or getting one. My Dad, who has now "moved on" tried every year for his last 30 and never got lucky.

Don't want to de-rail this thread though... I want to thank all for responses, as my questions concerning my gun collection have been answered. I now have a much better idea of which guns to add to my collection.

"No water buffalo in Pennsylvania"

But I grew up near New Buffalo...

Anyway...

To the OP... I don't see .300 Savage on that list. EVERYONE should own a Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage.

Thanks Mike... no... no .300 Savage yet... no 30 WinMag. I have to stop buying for a while. Since I started this post, I got lots of good responses, and as a result added 5 guns/calibers to the collection to fill in a few obvious holes, namely the .44 Mag and the 7.62x39. Added .32 S&W Long... .44 Mag/SPL... .308 Win/7.62 NATO... 7.62x39... .444 Marlin and finally 45-70 Govt.

I appreciate all the good advice and input. I bought the 15th addition of "Cartridges of the World" by Frank Barnes (now deceased) but carried on and edited by Tod Woodard. VERY interesting just reading through the history of some cartridges. I didn't know the .22 short was the oldest round still produced and in use here in the US.

It has been mentioned more times than I care to keep track of, but I am a huge fan of 7.62x39. I honestly feel like the AK doesn't do the cartridge fair justice from my experiences with it. With decent ammo and a good bolt action or even a nice SKS you can have a lot of fun for relatively cheap. Its also a cartridge that will likely be "popular" and readily available for many years.

Back