What bullet type for Military?

Which bullet type is best for the military?

• Full metal Jacket

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • Jacketed Soft Point

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • Jacketed Hollow Point

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 9.8%

• Total voters
FMJ. We're not only shooting bad guys. We're shooting bad guys behind barriers and shooting up equipment. The ammo we issue has to balance all of these traits and feed reliably in guns manufactured by the lowest bidder.
Perhaps to enhance performance on human targets, the bullet could be destablized a bit by decreasing the twist rate of the rifling slightly.

5.56 has never had a very good record for heavy barrier penitration stevelyn and good HP ammo penitrates barriers almost as good and has better terminal balistics. But I think 625 has given me an idea, with the belted 5.56 and 7.62 ammo our SAW's and GPMG's use we could simply mix HP and FMJ ammo together in the belt. Since we do this with tracers already it would be rather simple to do so. But now as I think about it, we probably wouldn't need to do it with the 7.62 ammo as penitration with 7.62 would not be gratly impared with HP ammo. Though it would probably be a good idea to mix in AP ammo for needed penitration. You should use 7.62 to make those pesky barriers disapear then get them with the 5.56 when they move from cover. If 7.62 is unavailable, then apply gernades where needed. BTW is the safety on the M203 as bad as I have heard it to be?

Crosshair,

I wasn't talking about heavy barriers. Heavy barriers get the chain gun or shoulder fired rocket treatment. I'm talking about punching through cars, walls, doors and windows.

stevelyn

OK, I see you're point. Then perhaps we can ditch this steel core ammo that doesn't like to fragment and go with a simple lead core FMJ bullet. It will still penitrate the barriers you mentioned, but more readily fragment inside the body. We can keep the steel core ammo on hand in case we need it for some reason. I think Impact of Reason is right. Keep different kinds of ammo on hand for different uses. All the ammo will work in the same weapon, you will just be able to use the ammo that best suits the situation.

The new combat armour isn't as good as its made out to be. Theres been big problems with it, that 9mm ammo had punched straight through the armour multiple times, and even though it was rejected as safe, it was still sent into combat to keep the likes of the Marines safe from shrapnel. FMJ is going to go nicely through most the body armour currently used. We also seen more body armour along with things like the latest generation of nightvision from the US and new equipment used by our enemies, that the extra penetration power of a FMJ still made more sense than changing it.

I said other.

I don't know if they exists or how good they are against barriers but I was thinking some sort of explosive round that had a "depth charge" built in.... penatrate about 3 inches and then explode.

Sorry, I don't have that touchy feely feeling when killing those that wish to kill me.

Wayne

Fmj

I had a tendency, while on active duty, to prefer firearms that feed and fired. FMJ has a better history of doing that than some of the others.

Remember, it has to be GI-proof. GI's have to be able to operate in ANY geography, ANY weather, ANY time.

I voted fmj also for the same reasons as stated by most. penetration if needed, and if not, 2 holes and a "comrad' or 2 will possibly carry him off, thus 2-3 are out of the fight. also feeding reliability. on my part this is mostly speculation and "here-say" in a sense, as i am in the navy, but i repair electronics for weapons systems on aircraft and am not in the SEALS, Seabees, MA's, or other "carry a gun" combat type job.

The "wound him and let his guy's carry him off" is a myth for the most part. In Iraq WE are the ones who end up with the wounded, slowing down OUR advance through an area, since we have to secure the enemy before we move on. (So they don't crawl off and get into trouble.) I also recall that the "wound them" philosophy didn't work so well in Mogadishu in 1993.

have mike at double tap produce all of the ammo. everyone in armed combat (with no worry of extreme penetration) should use a usp 40 with the 200gr XTP bullet. sure will stop a loose camel real quick. :)

Why not "other"

Figure something like Pow'rball but with a nice copper tip instead of polymer. Could use steel in some cases too.

Hell, why not copper solid with a Pow'rball type tip? You get expansion, feed reliability, and strong enough to punch a door without fail.

Truncated Cone

I agree with 100% reliability being required. The Truncated Cone Bullet for .45 acp will feed thru virtually any pistol, MAC10, Thompson, etc. When hitting bone (pelvis, skull) there is a tremendous transfer of energy. I have some 9mm with silicon in the JHP but covered with Copper (Federal?) that feed as well and have expansion in soft material (flesh).

Crosshair,

I agree with getting rid of the steel core. I never could see the purpose of it anyway. Keep the 62 gr in a cannelured lead-core bullet.
Carrying different types of ammo for different applications would create a logistical nightmare.

Back