What brand scopes were around in the 50's?

Lyman Alaskan or All American would be good choices.

Weaver (the old ones, period correct) would be fine, too.

"period correct" for sentimental reasons but doing so would place you at a tremendous handicap when shooting.

While true, to a point, I say, "So what?"

Vintage rifles with vintage scopes may not shoot as well (or allow you to shoot well as easily) as modern stuff, but they do shoot as well as the ever did.

And that's the point here.

In 1949 a 1 MOA rifle was a rare and treasured thing.Today it is an expectation. 1 1/2 to 2+ moa was a more reasonable expectation for the rifles and ammo of the time.

Bullets were more often flat based.BC's were typically lower,and likely few knew what BC was about.

Almost no one owned a chronograph.There were no ballistic softwares.The Gun Digest or Shooters Bible tables for factory ammo were about the best we had.

Rangefinding was guessing how many football fields.Wind? Wet finger.

400 yds was ,and still is,a very long shot.

A general guideline,1x per 100 yd is plenty for shot placement on big game.

Don't forget,some folks still do it with iron.

The 2 1/2 x Lyman Alaskan on the 1903A4 copy I built was no handicap to take last years pronghorn at 300 yds.

For the practical ranges based on trajectory and a typical skilled hunter,4x was enough magnification while still being useful at closer range.

Still,today,a fixed 4 x is a great choice,its just often overlooked.I notice most ACOGs are 4x or less.

I have a fixed 6x on one of my hunting rifles,and it is more than enough magnification for any pronghorn shot I would take.

I do not feel any need for more power on a big game rifle,today in 2014.

Last edited:
What about a nice Weaver 2-1/2x with post? IIRC the top of the post covers 4" at 100yds. Notice the small diameter eye-piece & unprotected adjustment knobs.
316vxww.jpg

2v00gv5.jpg

I was born in 1951 so that is a little before my time but I used a lot of those older scopes in my teens. This is my dad's deer rifle that I inherited. I do remember him talking about the Lyman Alaskan as THE scope to have but cost wise it was just a dream. One thing I do remember about the old Weavers though, you'd adjust them, tap them, shoot a time or two & then the reticle would move. But once zeroed, they stayed zeroed! LOL

..bug :)

I'll agree,my experience with the old Weaver sight in could be frustrating.I learned to take the backlash out like using machine tool dials,bump the butt,and I still might use a lot of ammo!!I suspect milsurp receiver bridges ,and base and ring quality issues may have created ring alignment problems.Who lapped,or even checked,back then?

I can say,dragging an elk,rifle slung,I once had my feet go out from under me and my Weaver K-4 got bashed hard.The steel tube had a dent in it.I knew I had to check zero.I fired one round at a spot on an old snag and it was still good.

Literature for the Alaskan said the post tip was 4 in.Center to edge,or 2 MOA,is a useful wind ref.

I agree,the 2 1/2 to 3 x scopes were compact and practical.

His cartridge suggested 4x to me.

Some to be said for the Lyman All American all weather o-ring sealed turret caps.

Last edited:
Back