What brand scopes were around in the 50's?

UncleGrumpy

Hi,

I have a 1949 Winchester Model 70. I want to put a scope on it, but try to keep it period correct. Does anyone remember what brand / model scopes were popular in the late 40's early 50's ?

Cheers

You can add Redfield and Bausch & Lomb. The B&L scopes had no internal adjustments, so B&L made a special mount that had the adjustments in the mount. Given the often fragile nature of internally adjustable scopes, the B&L idea was not a bad one, and their scopes had a good reputation for being rugged as well as of extremely high optical quality.

I know that it sounds unbelievable today, but at that time, almost all the rifle scopes (and other optical goods) sold in the U.S. were actually made here! German optics were usually considered better, but as noted above, Germany was still getting back on its feet in 1950. By the end of that period, some Japanese scopes were coming in, but they were not high quality, though they were cheap. Tasco was the most common brand name, though there were others.

Jim

One scope that was fairly popular back in its day, but almost unheard of now is the Norman-Ford Texan, another 7/8 inch tube job. Very high quality, looks much like a Lyman Alaskan, but about half the price now, if you can find one.

A 1940's version of the pre-64 Winchester just screams El Paso Weaver K-4.

In 30-06 I believe that was selected as the Alaska State Gun.

My Grandads m99 300 savage was topped with a weaver 4x post. Had it refurbished a while back - just like new...

One of these days I will get the two reunited!

Most hunting and target scopes were by Lyman of Middlefield, CT.

They made the Supertargetspot which we used on our M52's for gallery and my first hunting scope is the Wolverine which I still have from 1953.

Some had the Kollmorgan Bear Cub scopes made near Deerfield, MA.

Nobody in New England put a weeber on a Winchester M70! LOL

Were talking a pre-64 M70 Winchester rifle here and not cheap stuff.

They put Lymans or B&L's on them. Some used Zeiss but not weeeeber.

LOL

weebeer????? Cheap??? Really?
In the 1950's Weavers were very popular for African dangerous game rifles.
An El Paso Weaver was rugged & dependable.
Some years ago I lucked out & bought an El Paso Weaver fixed 4X and put it on my 1895 Marlin. ( $ 80.00 bucks new, sealed in the box, at auction )

Here in CT we made rifles and scopes. The Weaver was the least expensive scope in that day.

We used Lyman, B&L, Zeiss, Hensoldt, Unertl and Bear Cub.

I'll suggest the folks who have first hand knowledge of what scope went on a 1949 M-70 are fading with our Greatest Generation.

My impression of the time,which could be wrong:Back east big game hunting was typically in the woods with iron sights.
The scoped rifle passion was about woodchucks and crows.The ultimate varmint rifle!And the Lymans,Unertls,etc.external adj target scopes.

But as you headed West to Mule Deer,Elk,Pronghorn,Sheep,etc,a bolt .270 or 30-06 set up with a Weaver K-4 was pretty standard.

It would darn sure be a representative correct scope for the time.They are easy to come by,and you can get them serviced.

Looking on E-bay,you can find old Unertl hawks and Falcons,but I don't recall seeing rifles with them installed.There are Lyman All-Americans .
I have an Alaskan and an 8x All American.I like them.

If I'm not mistaken,Kohlmorgen may have become Redfield in some way.I only say that because the scopes look so similar.

I think maybe what shows up on e-bay is also an indicator of what was selected,and what survived.Unless,of course,its NIB or nearly so.

Last edited:
Thanks to all, for the help. I now know what to look for.

The rifle belonged to dad, it is in .270 Weatherby Magnum and is a genuine weatherby modified rifle hence my desire to keep it period correct. I have the beuler mounts fitted but no scope.

Fully tightened up I measure the inside at 0.98" diameter. Would this be for a 1" or 7/8" tube?

Cheers

0.98? One inch tube.

Weavers may have been inexpensive, but they darned sure were not cheaply built. I put a K2.5 on my '06 around 1951 or 1952. My gunsmith uncle used a K10 on his Gebby-barrel Varminter that he built in the late 1940s.

Had to laugh: Bausch & Lomb advertised that their scopes were so rugged that you could use one to drive a nail. My uncle ordered one for a customer. He took it out of the box, looked through it, and saw that the crosshairs were ess-shaped and way off-center. B&L's might have been strong, but the USPS was stronger. :D

I know you'd like to keep it "period correct" for sentimental reasons but doing so would place you at a tremendous handicap when shooting. Even the low priced scopes of today are superior to pretty much anything available during that period.

Back