What Best Defines Accuracy?

This is the old question of precision vs accuracy. If your rifle shoots very small groups it is precise, but not necessarily accurate.

My OCD kicks in and my eye twitches (the left eye, actually) when somebody posts a beautifully tight group, 3" from the bullseye and proclaim a rifle/shooter/ammo to be "very accurate." I keep saying to myself, "...but you missed the bullseye."

For me, accuracy is a revolver that can shoot 1 inch groups at 25 yards from a bench. I can do it all day long with my automatic but there are very few rounds that can equal that in my revolvers.
In my .38 I found a great combination of 186 grain cast lead round nose ( special dye made for me ) with a load of Unique that would shoot 1 inch from a rest. Not many other loads would go sub 2 inches at the same distance.

A .5" group a foot away from the target is less accurate than a 5" group centered on the target.

That's not true even a little bit . During load development I'm often inches away from my POA and that has zero to do with the accuracy or the rounds . "I" determine the accuracy because only "I" know what I'm trying to accomplish .

FIRST 3 SHOTS FIRED FROM A NIB SAVAGE MODEL 10 after bore sighting . I guess that's not very accurate ?

guns167.jpg

SAME GUN ABOUT 1500rds later , there was an issue with the action and yet it still shot 2 separate 1/2 moa groups in the same 10 shot string .

sxy9.jpg

There are caveats to everything and is why you the shooter get to say what is accurate and not the POI . It also points out how this is a troll question , it can be reasonably argued we are all correct depending on your perspective . The question was phrased in a way to never come to a conclusion so we all can go round and round about who is the smart one here .

Last edited:
Back