What are your thoughts on steel wool?

"Make sure the Chore Boy is PURE copper, and not copper plated steel, because they make both kinds."

How can you tell from reading the package, aside from taking a magnet as suggested above?

It's printed on the box. It points this out very clearly in the article I posted a link to. Read it.

In another 40-50,000 years the oceans and rivers on earth will have dissolved all of the solid matter and our planet will be a big ball of water flying through space.

They're fact-checking this as I type.

Honest, they really are.

There will be no guns, anywhere.

Not even squirt guns.

Not a problem and I thank you

Pahoo, the author of the book I referenced spoke to stopping the process just at the muzzle (if I understood it right), then reversing direction.
Not a problem and I thank you .... :)

Be Safe !!!

I searched locally for "Chore Boy" to no avail. Found one product that honestly labeled "Coated" copper. Another -at CVS - figure that out - was not "Chore Boy", even though a website search said they had it, but a substitute that did not respond to a magnet. I bought that. I cut an "envelope" of the mesh and covered a nylon bristle brush with it and an appropriate solvent and cleaned the barrel and cylinder of my Thomas/Uberti 1873 .45 Colt with it with a satisfactory result.

In retrospect I wondered why we just don't use the contents of an old piece of 18-Ga lamp cord wire?

I searched locally for "Chore Boy" to no avail. Found one product that honestly labeled "Coated" copper. Another -at CVS - figure that out - was not "Chore Boy", even though a website search said they had it, but a substitute that did not respond to a magnet. I bought that. I cut an "envelope" of the mesh and covered a nylon bristle brush with it and an appropriate solvent and cleaned the barrel and cylinder of my Thomas/Uberti 1873 .45 Colt with it with a satisfactory result.

In retrospect I wondered why we just don't use the contents of an old piece of 18-Ga lamp cord wire?

the wire doesn't have the sharp edges of the Chore Boy.

Check hardware store or in the household cleaner section of a grocery store, should be in the same place as scotch bright pads.

ChoreBoys are made from flat Copper strands that in a sense, have sharp edges that present to the fouling/leading whereas Copper electrical wire is round with no sharp edges to "dig" into the fouling/lead.

Back