What are your thoughts on .32 H&R Mag?

32's

Well having an extra round is kind of a big deal but many people are uncomfortable with the idea of a 32.So many folks have listened to the hype that a 38 is under powered so that a 32 could not possibly do the job.Today all the rage is bigger, better and more powerful.I've heard all kinds of folks who say the same about the 9mm.Most folks don't understand ballistics and how powerful and debilitating such rounds can be.Everyone is sold on the idea of a one shot drop.They don't seem to understand what modern ammo can do.The older guys that have had these for years do understand what sweet shooters they can be.

Oh .327 is a lot louder and has more recoil than .32 H&R, but the point of the .327 is would you rather shoot it or .357 in the same size gun?
Since I can get the same power at a lower pressure level with a 357 I see no advantage to the 327 from a comfort standpoint.

I have 2 32's. An ACP that I never shoot. Mod 1917 Savage and can't find one use for it. The other in a S&W mod 16 32 long. Love that gun. Shoot it more than anything including one of my 22 handguns. I cast for it using 92 gr bullet's and if I was to really get into small game again, the 32 Long is what I'd use. Something about it is it's accurate, more powerful than a 22 RF and I can shoot it much more inexpensively than any rim fire. As a defense gun, no way. That small cartridge and bullet does not inspire a lot of confidence in me. But if something were to happen while I was out with it. I'd shoot the B*st*rd with my 9mm, carry it every where! At time's I though something like the 77/22 rifle would be a super rifle for it.

I love my 32 revolvers. I have a half dozen or so. My wife has weak wrists, but can shoot 32 H&R magnum just fine. 32 S&W long has very little recoil and is a great transition from 22 to 38 for new shooters. My 32 H&R magnum Ruger Single Six is one of my most entertaining handguns to shoot.

Just came across a Single Six 4 3/4" in .32 mag and a Marlin Cowboy in the same caliber. I have been shooting the Ruger and find it to be accurate and a bit more fun than he same pistol in .22 LR, one shot of .32 putting a Texas feral hog in never never land.
I choose not to debate .32 vs .38 as I enjoy both calibers and feel either would be adequate for defensive purposes ( my friend's wife has a J frame in .32 mag) and I have no idea what concealable pistols are available for consumption. So I have fun with the Ruger, have not shot the Marlin as yet, and am happy to find a new caliber to play with.

Finally Found/bought a blued Single Six .32 H&R Mag last weekend. NIB from 1984. Throats appear to be good. A .313 bullet slips through the throats, and .002 gap. Seems accurate and after about 80 rounds, no detectable leading build up. Perfect! Can't say much for the grip frame though. Ears are a bit proud, and along the side inset a bit... Not a 'perfect' fit... Needs a proper Munden tuneup as lots of creep and pressure needed (even with one trigger spring leg off)! Anyway, as I said, I load to .22LR velocities, but since the bullet is heavier (40g vs 78g), it'll hit harder, yet recoil is still much like the .22LR. Fun... And the wife will enjoy shooting it, plus the cartridge is reloadable. Whatever the .22 can do ... this can do.. Win Win.

Last edited:
I have a bunch of 32/20s and several 32 H&r mags...none of them have an actual purpose and are just for fun. I have a 32 mag Marlin CB, that is fun to shoot..but again ...no actual purpose other than fun. I have one J frame S&W that was in .32 long, that I reamed out to H&R mag. I parkerized it as well and gave it to my wife. Neat caliber to play with.

" The only reason .380 is so popular is the faster reload."

Maybe, but IMHO, the only reason .380 is popular is that .32 and .25 calibers are banned from import under GCA '68, leaving the .380 as the only round available in a pocket-size pistol. It is undoubtedly more effective than the smaller pistol calibers, but both .25 and 32 ACP would be much more popular if not effectively banned from import.

Jim

... IMHO, the only reason .380 is popular is that .32 and .25 calibers are banned from import under GCA '68, leaving the .380 as the only round available in a pocket-size pistol. It is undoubtedly more effective than the smaller pistol calibers, but both .25 and 32 ACP would be much more popular if not effectively banned from import.

I think that's an astute observation. As reputations are built over time, we are whole generations downwind of that horrendous law. Being isolated from markets where the .32/7.65 remained much more popular for a lot longer probably did more than just limit its use here. It also probably worked to limit growth and development within our market. I think 9mm and .380 have come a long way in that time. I know the old semi-rimmed cartridge has its limitations but had it been more popular, it might also have seen improvement.

I have a Single Six Bisley 6 in with adj sights.

I also have heavier caliber handguns.

There is one "selection of arms" that has to do with SD and effectiveness of stopping a threat. Its a valid consideration.

But I just do not keep my mind focused on that one aspect of serious firearms business. I enjoy shooting and guns. I prefer not to dwell on potential human targets.I sincerely hope I pass through this life without ever having a human target.

I really enjoy my 32. I like the Fiocchi 32 S+W longs. Nice plinking round. If I get around to going bunny hunting again,I'm sure it would work great.

With near max 115 gr cast SWC bullets,ballistics are comparable to 9mm in my M+P 9C...not that it matters. I have the M+P 9C.

Plinking,sharing with new shooters,or just having something on my hip walking through the bushes,the 32 H+R is FUN. I like FUN.

The 32 H&R magnum has less power than a 38 Spl +P but it is a fun little round for small to medium sized pests and general plinking.

I like .32 H&RM because it also fits my 632 Pro! So does .32 ACP; .32 S&W; .32 S&WL; and, of course, so does .327 Magnum.

I have a couple revolvers that are chambered in 327 Fed Mag, and I shoot primarily 32 H&R in them. I also have a 32 long Smith that I drop in my pocket occasionally when I go somewhere. I bought a Single Seven not long after Ruger started making them, and have a load using 78 grain lead round-nose bullets that I have shot many times in our weekly club competition, and as long as I do my job, it is very accurate. And it's comfortable enough to shoot all day. I often use it to show new shooters that they can shoot something larger than a .22 and both control and enjoy it. For plinking, I can shoot 32 H&Rs for not much more than shooting .22s. I put oversize grips from Altamont on it, and if I had to sell all but 5-6 of my guns, it would be a keeper.

Back