What are your goals at the pistol range?

Goals at pistol range

Have done bullseye competition on Navy pistol team (long ago). So, will occasionally try it again to see how close I can come to the accomplishments of my youth (generally, not too bad).
These days, main interest is self-defense competence, so abandon the bullseye distance for the 20-30 feet rapid reaction shooting drill. Strong hand, weak hand, two hand. Am a revolver person now, so shoot almost exclusively double action 38+P and 357.

My basic object was to practice my ability to hit the target. To do this, I tried various positions, all standing but none from the draw. I shot both with one hand and two hands and now and then, with my weak hand. Also slow fire and rapid fire but no practice at any sort of tactical reloading. Over time I tended to do more firing at 25 yards because that required the most practice to do well. I probably used autos as much as revolvers and tried to fire all the common calibers that I owned. I also mostly fired my own reloaded ammuntion and sometimes the object seemed to be that the shooting was done to support my handloading operation, rather than the other way round.

I also found that some more difficult to shoot handguns were just as fun or even more fun than more ordinary handguns, provided expensive ammuntion wasn't needed. I had more fun with an old Beretta .22 for a while than anything else. Some guns that were otherwise very nice, like a blued 4-in Model 29 (that would have been in my Elmer Keith phase), ended up being rather frustating because of certain faults of that particular gun. The Model 29, for instance, tended to bind after a cylinder full of shots, for some reason. Another interesting thing was to use those targets printed with those little sihoulettes. Not so easy to hit at 25 yards.

This was all at an indoor range. An interesting exercise is to measure 25 yards somewhere outside, say from your back door, and see how much different it looks from the way it does at an indoor range. Also, try turning off the light in your lane at an indoor range for something a little different.

I've never shot at a moving target at the range, though when in the army, I got to shoot a 105-mm howitizer at a moving target.

Ultimately, the goal was to enjoy the shooting and have fun. Then one day, for some reason, it stopped being fun and I haven't shot anything since then!

-Profieciency with all my firearms
-Consistent double taps
-Effective trigger control and form

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to punch out the 10-ring at will. For now, I settle for landing my shots where I place them with a variety of pistols. Also, I shoot for the fun of it...gives me an excuse to get out of the house every now and then.

...gives me an excuse to get out of the house every now and then.

Amen.

In addition to my above post. I also try to work on "speed". The range I go to does not allow firing from draw so I just set it on the bench and try to pick it up, get my sights on target and fire as fast as safely possible.

Not hurt myself, hit target, not hurt myself, see if firearm functions correctly, not get hurt, test ammo for suitablility for firearm and of course not get hurt.

Blue Train,
Then one day, for some reason, it stopped being fun and I haven't shot anything since then!

Since I began shooting competition the regular (lame) shooting at the range is no fun anymore. I must force myself to go at times. The costs, the rules at most ranges (especially the close to home ones), punching holes in paper, just kill the fun. I gotta go though to stay sharp.

Actually, there were several things that seemed to happen around the same time that dampened my enthusiasm for shooting at the range, which I still visit frequently and where I still buy guns. I even have one on layaway at the moment, a rifle.

For one thing, my shooting buddy moved away. Then large pistol primers became scarce for a while, which was particularly frustrating. And a few highly publicized shootings didn't help either. Probably going by myself was just less fun and, anyway, shooting at a commercial indoor range or, for that matter, outdoor range, can be somewhat restricting.

I certainly haven't lost interest in guns, however.

Back