What are Your Firearms Biases?

I seem drawn to the underdogs with questionable reputations, the unique ones that most tend to scoff at. I love to tinker and attempt to improve function and performance by doing so, sometimes successfully and sometimes not so much. Sometimes learning first hand that there is simply no need.

Beyond that I simply can not stand plastic. *throws up a little in his mouth*
I own a few shotguns with camo polymer stocks for specific purposes such as turkey hunting.
A couple of High Points, one pistol and two carbines as they fit the underdog category well and are hella fun.
Two Star Ultrastar pistols as they're the only polymer pistols I've ever handled that do not feel like Tupperware in my hand and I'm a hopeless Star fan.

I will never buy into the sales pitch of polymer being better, stronger and so on as I am convinced that the bottom line is cheaper, nothing more.

I will admit however that I have several beautifully wood stocked long guns that I own polymer stocks to drop them in when going afield so as not to mar their beauty, so that may just make me a hypocrite. ;)

As for firearm biases/snobbery I guess you could call it:

-1911's are for .45acp
-Revolvers, rimmed rounds designed for revolvers
-AR's, certainly not for 7.62x39
-AK's, certainly not for .223/5.56
-M1a's, standard/scout with wood stocks

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot another one of mine. I hate .40... it's snappier than a .45 and has less capacity than a 9mm. I just don't enjoy shooting it even though I have two, one being a G23 I received as a gift and the other belonging to my agency.

1911's are for .45acp
-Revolvers, rimmed rounds designed for revolvers
-AR's, certainly not for 7.62x39
-AK's, certainly not for .223/5.56
-M1a's, standard/scout with wood stocks

Yes! I actually have this exact bias too. Certain calibers/types of cartridges are meant for certain firearms in my book.

I'll do biases as well as preferences:

Biases:
- Shooting revolvers DA makes you a better shooter. Period.
- Non-combat rifles and shotguns should have wood stocks.
- Low bore axis steel framed guns are almost always better than the alternative.
- In defensive rounds, under penetration is a WAY bigger problem than over penetration. Therefore get something that will penetrate. And expansion is nice and all, but not nearly as important as penetration. Finally, there's no such thing as 'stopping power' or hydrostatic shock in normal defensive handgun calibers.

Preferences:
- Don't like polymer guns except for carry.
- Concealed carry guns (not OWB duty guns) should have a safety if they are SA.

Last edited by a moderator:
My firearms biases:

A What really "grabs" me:
1. Workmanship - fit, finish, polish, smoothness of action, tight with no slop.
2. Uniqueness of design - I'm a sucker for new and interesting designs that work well
3. Aesthetics - sleek, smooth or crisp lines; not clunky
4. Durability - can handle hot loads and hot humid environments
5. Reliability - important, but if we are talking exceptional quality firearms, this is either a given or you can get the gun there with a little work.
6. Capacity - I like large capacity guns; or very small guns with substantial capacity for its size
7. Good quality Military Style Rifles and Assault Pistols capable of full-auto or just plain old semi-auto rapid fire.
8. Really nice engraving on double-barrel shotguns
9. Fancy wood stocks and pistol grips.
10. AOW "gadget" guns.

B. What I don't like:
1. Cheap junk that looks like junk
2. Trigger Dingus - I prefer a manual safety
3. Grip Safeties - (truth is I tolerate them on 1911's)
4. Glock-offs (one of the numerous Glock rip-offs)
5. Nylon/plastic stocks on bolt-action rifles
6. painted guns (well, not all, but most of them)

Last edited:
I am not biased on anything anyone has that works for them. I am biased on many Guns that will not work for me. I am a snob for my own personal uses but would never bash anyone for their own particular choices.

If anyone's asks for my opinion I give it.

Tucker said:
The AR15... As I said earlier I thought the AR to be an unreliable piece of junk ***Finally in 2014 my buddy talked me into building one, and my love for tinkering translated into a newfound appreciation for the AR15 which led me to do some research and I now have a healthy appreciation for both my AR and the 5.56.

I made that journey too. I heard all about the complexity and dubious reliability, so I never had anything to do with them. On a lark and inspired by low pre-Newtown prices, I looked into them and found a world of easy assembly, well thought out design and ample choice.

My one and only bias is that the gun is the least of it.
I will try to learn to use anything.
No real preferences.
Whatever is affordable and available - yeah, fine.

Don't care for S&W striker fired; I like S&W revolvers.

I like 1911s; I do not like carrying one.

Glocks do nothing for me but I do appreciate their reliability and affordability.

Strongly biased towards anything SIG; although there are some offerings I would urge you to steer clear of.

Like AR 15/M 4s; not fond of AKs.

Don't care much for +P ammo.

Strong bias towards 9mm and .45 ACP; don't care much for other pistol ammo.

Biased towards concealed IWB; not real thrilled to see OWB in open carry.

Let's stick to firearms biases, OK? I've edited or removed a few posts that were straying into more general prejudices -- if it ain't about firearms, it's off-topic here.

I also prefer concealed IWB to open carry. I'm quite biased against folks who open carry in a holster that doesn't have at least Some sort of active retention. You have the forethought to see a situation you might need a gun, but not enough to see someone trying to take it from you?

I often use a Sig OWB holster for concealed carry. The P320 snugs real close with the right belt in that holster. Many many others doing something similar as an alternative to IWB (which I also do quite often).

Nice loose fitting shirt on warm days, jacket on cool days. Never shows or prints.

It's all about the clothing, which is my bias. ;)

Colt 1911s.
Pythons.
Browning A5s (the real ones).
Aramalite (and the original Eagle Arms) AR platform rifles.
and
Winchester lever guns.

I am biased against people who say they can reliably and humanely kill deer with wimpy rifles. "I always get a head shot with my 25-20." Et cetera, et cetera. I don't buy it.

I am biased in favor of the .243 for deer. Over the years, I shot a bunch of deer at various distances with a .243, and every single one of them collapsed on the spot.

I am biased against blow back pistols in anything bigger than .32.

I am biased in favor of the out of the box trigger pull on most S&W revolvers. Out of the box, all of my S&W revolvers have had better trigger pulls than any other out of the box revolver that I have experienced.

I am biased against any stryker fired guns that are not Glock. Not a raging Glockophile, but I don't care for the new S&W guns (I refuse to call them M&P), the Sig P-320 and whatever H&K offering there is.

I generally prefer Colt or FN made AR- platform rifles; but, that is only because I carried those in the service.

I like American made guns; however, I have a couple of Beretta and Benelli shotguns along with a few Belgium Brownings.

I can't bring myself to buy Japanese made Brownings or Winchesters. Which is odd because I'd love a Daewoo 5.56mm rifle and have a Norinco '97 clone.

I like M-14s and would love an M-1A, however, if I were to go back to Afghanistan I'd take an M-4 again. Or possibly an M-110 if I was running the LSR Company again.

Only Colt, Ruger, and S&W should make revolvers.

I think the ONLY bias I have, is toward caliber. Definitely 9mm, have done away with ALL other auto calibers! For shotgun, I'm a 20ga guy, always have been. For rifle, any of the standard calibers, 30-30, .243, .22lr.

preferences

I'm pretty old school in my likes and dislikes, and blue steel and walnut fills my safe, mostly. I own two stainless handguns,and one stainless rifle. One of these days I will get that stainless rifle coated some how. I recognize the attributes of synthetic stocks and stainless, but they seem to have no soul. I'd rather have blue steel than the "matte" finish that seems so common these days, but matte and synthetic makes most rifles more affordable I suppose. And of course the various space finishes are very tough.

I like fixed power scopes, and still hunt a number of them. My biggest hunting variable is 3-9x40. A big scope on a little rifle seems very awkward and clunky to me. I'm mostly an entry level Leupold guy.

I don't really like AR's, though I have exactly one AR carbine.

Counting all makes, actions and type (handgun and long gun) I likely own more Rugers than anything else, but I don't have a brand loyalty, Ruger just makes/made guns that I like. I haven't ever bought a "new Ruger" all my Rugers were bought when Bill R. was still alive, or their older guns bought second hand.

In fact, I've bought more used guns than new ones, I'm certain.

Back