What are your chances of wounding vs clean kill beyond 400 yards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deer regs here are to make "reasonable" effort, no trespassing, and you can't leave "meat" in the field. You can get in real trouble for tossing acarcass into any sort of water.

We allow hunters here to literally harvest an entire herd over all the seasons, types, special areas, a really dedicated hunter, some years, can legally shoot Mar be even six or more, this year it looks like only four, with higher counts for management areas. They are even a pest in some places. I would assume that game in co is a precious commodity, being as an out of state hunter may put a thousand bucks into a hunt.

Last edited:
I never hear someone say "Yeah, I shot my deer from 120 yards" here in Arizona any more. It's always 400, 500, 600 now. My cousin, who probably spends 100x the amount of time in a nail salon as she does practicing shooting, shot a mule deer at 495 yards last year. Her husband is a guide and a hell of a hunter and basically just set her up to pull the trigger. It's really not that hard when you have the gear.

I understand the thinking of people in states where deer are as thick as grasshoppers but out here there's a lot of realities that make those long shots far more common. One of them is low deer/acre and almost 100% public land hunting. If you get the opportunity to take ANY shot you're ahead of most.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bottom line seems to be, once again, that there is no one size which fits all hunters in all situations.

But we've wandered around enough, here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back