What are you riding?

Don't get me started. Longhair, isn't there a white glove clean aquamarine Honda forum somewhere?
Hank
Good Shooting though I do truly wish that I had some of those gunslinger bags to put on some old pieces and parts hardtails!

Don't own any at present, but I'm babysitting a 1999 Honda V2 650 for a friend -- nice and relaxed.

Have owned 2 x Honda 360 road/trails
1 x Suzuki GT550 triple (wish I still had it)

Have my eye on an ex-Police Kwakasacker at present -- just have to convince the family.

B

Boy! You guys really know how to make a fella feel bad. I don't have a bike now and prospects ain't too good. :(
Last one was a Honda Nighthawk 700. Sold it a couple years ago like a damned fool. But I got memories, yeah,..... good memories.

I have had a number of bikes. I have had a Suzuki Marauder 800 for a couple years and love it. It probably never has been "white gloves clean" but it runs real well.

------------------
Better days to be,

Ed

First bike I rode (1959) was an old Harley with a gear shift on the left side of the tank. Rode it all day, became an expert! (I was young and stupid, ok?)

Stopped at a busy intersection in Bloomington, Indiana. Strut my stuff! Combat boots! Blue jeans! White T-shirt! Cigarettes perfectly rolled under the left sleeve. Man, it was great!

Sitting there first in line, both feet on the ground, scowling at the traffic cop directing cross traffic. Bad ass! James Dean eat your heart out! Braap! on the gas. Braap! Braap!

Braa..POW! The damned deadman clutch suddenly popped, the motorcycle leaped like a goosed gazelle into the cross traffic where that betraying behemoth dumped me uncermoniously on my James Dean butt before falling like a gut-shot rhino onto its left side. Traffic swirled all around me and the antichrist machine...

The immediately ensuing conversation began with the officer screaming something about, "What the hell......" and everything went that specific direction at increasing speed.

Mercifully I don't remember exactly WHAT he said but I reckon he got about 2.3 hours of lecture into the 2 minutes it took for him to realize that the struggling, skinny kid couldn't pick up the motorcycle. (The FINAL insult...)

The cop helped me grunt the rhino up on its wheels. I commenced to kickstart, "Antichrist". The three or four kicks it took to start the Harley seemed to take at least a month. The infernal machine, exacting revenge on me for my stupidity, danged near broke both my ankle and my shin before launching my right knee upward to just behind my right ear.

The officer began his second version of verbal apoplexy just as the Antichrist spluttered, then roared to life and we escaped the horror-filled scene of our near death and our total humiliation.

-------
Years later (1968) I learned to ride a Honda 350 in Washington, DC rush hour traffic. (I wasn't suicidal - I just didn't care 'bout much that year.) I rode that bike from DC, to NY, to Florida, to Texas, to Monterey, California. Put over 50,000 miles on that punishing, 350 pound personal vibrator. That's why I still walk funny.
-------
Years after that (1976), I had a Honda CB450.

Later I moved up to a BMW R75. Put over 100,000 miles on "Black Beauty". Changed plugs, fluid, tires, one battery, couple cables.
-------
Miss the bikes on every sunny day, every balmy evening, every bright, clear morning...

I wonder what it would cost to build a Volks trike.... hmmm....

Dennis - You never fail to make me laugh or cry, no in-between. That is one of the funniest scenes I've ever heard. It tops one when I drove a friend to buy a used Kawasaki monster bike (don't remember the model). He paid the guy around $7,000 cash and then proceded to pop the clutch at around 10000 rpm. He landed quickly and the bike landed about 1 minute later! The guy he bought it from just walked away shaking his head and counting his money.

I also had a Honda 350 in the good old days. By all rights, I should not be alive today. It was amazing how fast it would go on those central Virginia mountains!

Dennis,
Your post had me laughing, it brought back a memory of an situation I found myself in once...lol.......Id been out riding and on the way home stopped at a car wash to hose off this kor 76 flh in rootbeer brown,,,,I had finished cleaning the scoot and started it up to leave, when I went to put up the kickstand the durn opposite foot slipped in the soapy mess and in over correcting I brought that beast over on the primary, this wonderful old bike had crash bars and here I was laying in this soapy mess pinned beneath that scooter I couldnt lift the scoot enuf even with the crash bars to get my foot out from underneath....this particular place was not busy,,and all I could find for help were to slightly frightened little girls, I can only imagine what they were thinking when they heard this longhaired, bearderd guy in vest boots and jeans yellin at em to come help...bless em though, with there help I was able to get my foot out of that boot, and got everything straightned out.......I did take those elephant tony lamas down and have em resoled....lol...fubsy....

Blue Jays - Seems kinda silly to clean & polish a bike with white gloves. ;)
I use cotton shop towels myself.

Live to Ride
Ride to Live

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

1999 Yamaha V Star 650 Classic - looks like a '40s Hog, only clean!

Started on a 250cc HD Sprint. Moved up to a '56 Sportster (KH model). Drove a few 74s and flatheads. Rode a Suzuki 750 rice rocket owned by my brother.

Agree that they're a toy, but what freedom! Regards :) BigG

------------------
Son of Liberty

I got my drivers license in Oklahoma at age 14. That was 28 years ago. I currently have a 1996 Yamaha V-Max with stage 7 induction, crankcase breather, separate K&N filters, and SuperTrapp mufflers with open end caps. I also have 2 1985 Honda V-65 Sabres, one dressed, one naked, and an '84 V-65 Sabre parts bike.

I just bought a 95 Honda CBR600F3. This is my first street bike, and man do I love it!! Yesterday I took it up to show my dad and he lives out on this mountain that has 30 miles of windy roads to go through. Damn what a blast.

Back