What are the reasons for powder coating?

i did something really stupid last week, after i powdercoated 4-500 9x19s i grabbed a handful of them and used the calipers, the biggest one i measured was 358 but most were 357, so i skipped sizing

went to the range to test these things out and it went really bad, every 5-6 rounds i would have to pound one out of the barrel because it was 360 or more, so now i get to spend all day pullingh apart hundreds of rounds and sizing

luckily, i discover that to get the bullet out, all i need to do is run the completed round through the re-sizing die with the decapper removed and the bullet slides right out, thank god i didnt crimp

so long story short, if you PC you need to size:(

"something really stupid last week,"
skizzums

I beg to disagree. You validated a theory in random variables with a large sampling test. And you found that your theory was correct. With the number of samples, it can almost be considered a truism.

:)

OSOK

Kind'a wonder. If powder coating is the new wave in cast bullet performance. Verses traditional old school (bullet lubing) Why hasn't all or just one of the bullet manufactures jumped on the powder coating band wagon by now or bothered too introduced a powder coated bullet line-up of their own? As far as I know plating and powder coating are two totally different processes as is moly coatings as well.
Causes me wonder if powder coating itself has some un-spoken of serious problems or health issues in its use.

Market is too small. Most shooters don't shoot cast and those that do are not all going to switch to colored bullets. Also, the coating process still doesn't make a coat that is as repeatable or as tough as a jacketed bullet.

PC is still in its infancy, as we do not yet know the best powder to use, nor the perfect process to apply it. We have found some of both which work great, but nowhere near tested and accepted sufficiently to say "This is it!" and set up assembly line and hope the process doesn't change again soon.

Coatings are finding a place in the cast world though. There are a few commercial guys now offering Hi-Tek coatings on their pistol bullets. It isn't really designed for rifles, and the PC is just beginning to be adapted to rifle bullets and has not reached any level of repeatability and precision that would attract someone away from their shiny copper bullets.

Hi-Tek and PC both appear to be attracting a following among indoor shooters who appreciate the low smoke and clean bullets as compared to lubes.
Here's a quote posted just this morning from a fellow new to PC:
Well last night I fired my first batch of PC boolits at IDPA practice. Previously, at the end of shooting, my hands were filthy. Not the case last night. Same boolit, same load, a heck of a lot less ****. I'm sold...

Powdercoating still is just a .001" coat of melted and cured polyester. It will not handle mega pressures and long rides down a bore and therefore isn't going to threaten sales of XTPs or Ballistic Tips anytime soon.

But if you do cast your own, and you want to be able to shoot softer alloy with less chance of leading, and you appreciate nice clean, dry loading/seating dies and gun barrels, and not having to own or maintain a lubesizer, and can appreciate a nice variety of colors to choose from.... it might be just the ticket!:)

Last edited:
Back