What are the best rifle bases/rings

Leupold

I too have used Leupold bases and rings clear back to the old original Redfield days. In fact I'm still using Leupold adjustable bases on a custom Mauser that dates to the mid 50's (see photo).
I have never had loosening with the "dovetail front and pinched rear" as described,
About 20 years ago I began using Leupold Quick detachable rings/mounts. They don't loosen up and scope removal and re-attachment come back to original zero every time. I'm not sure the extra money for some of these mounts is worth the extra money. All the different Leupolds I've had have so far been failsafe. And that includes QDR's on a 416 rem mag.

Aluminum Weaver bases with Tasco aluminum rings are about as cheap as one can find. Yet they've delivered excellent accurate shot placement, remove-replace repeatability and durability as any. They don't have too much stress on them in recoil from hard kicking rifles.

Aluminum scope tubes whip more than barrels do when rifles are fired. All won't survive a hard bump on their ends but cheap aluminum bases and rings will. If one ever sees a high speed video of how much their front and back ends whip vertically, they may think the rings should be placed at the ends of scopes instead of straddling the middle part.

Art's comment about one-piece bases stiffening actions was the first of such stuff I've heard of. While I'm sure they do stiffen it a tiny bit because it takes force to bend them and they resist any that's applied (grade school physics?). Whatever it is is very repeatable from shot to shot so that doesn't matter to start with.

Last edited:
IBA one piece rings and base, rings come lapped. Screw (4) to your rifle & your ready to go. Or Ken Farrell rings & base, can't go wrong with either.

Been seven years since the question was raised.
I suspect, the OP has since outfitted the rifle...or sold it...or...

I've scoped a fair share of rifles in the last thirty years and have a natural affinity for luepold rings and bases, until Taylorce1 sent me a set of Leupold "weaver style" bases for my model70,I didnt even know they existed, and those bases are mounted and PRW 30MM rings are a fabulous rig. My only question would be, could I be able to remove rings from bases and still preserve zero?

Back