What are the best rifle bases/rings

psdan000

just wondering what you guys think the best rifle bases and rings are (for the money) for my model 700. i like the idea of the leupold dovetail bases/rings. have any of you used their one piece base with the windage adjustment? still not sure exactly how that works. i also like the idea of the one piece base better but i dont know if i like the windage adjustment thing, ill probably never use it. and i cant seem to find another decent one piece base for a reasonable price. or should i just stick with good old weaver bases and rings? thanks for the help, Dan

MY 700 was mounted with Leupold mounts and rings over 25 years ago. It has been hunted with 100's if not thousands of hours. They have never moved, neither has the Leupold scope in them. It shows wear even though I have tried to take care, things in the field just happen. Dings and scratches gun and scope. Nothing wrong with other good brands but you ask if Leupold was good, has been for me.
IMO Weaver is good also. I have another 700 with those that is AOK

the mount you have discribed is my very first choice .. the one piece base is the best in my opinion because it helps stiffen the action, as for the base windage adjust its a great asset for keeping your scopes retical in center.. once mounted an sightinging your scope, rather then moving the scopes windage left an rite adjustment , use the base to zero in center to get as close as possible, then use scope adjustment to twick in if needed , as for up an down well ther isn't much of choice there. usually any new scope comes centered an i try my best to keep there

I use Leupold Standard bases and rings on three different 700's and love the set-up. My other 700 has Leupold PRW rings and bases and is a rock solid mount that I am sure will be the last possible thing to ever fail on the rifle which I doubt anything will anyways. Leupold is my number one choice for bases, rings, and optics. They have never failed me and served me well over the years without a single problem. Weaver bases and rings are fine also and growing up I used them on a few other rifle set-ups with no problems. I dont think you can go wrong with either set-up Leupold or Weaver, but my first choice is and always will be Leupold.

The best rings/bases for normal recoiling rifles are EAWs. For those who dont fell like $300 for a set, get Leupolds.

WildthestandardAlaska

i like burris signature zee rings.
they have a plastic insert that is offset which allows the user to bore sight more accurately with having to work in his windage and vertical adjustments.
also the insert keeps marks off your scope.

Conetrol and Dave Talley's are some of the finest....

cat_pg70.jpg

qdringswithlevers_054.jpg

wow i didnt realize there were that many out there. i picked up a leupold standard base and standard high rings today, mainly because they were readily available at bass pro shops and only cost me around $50. i also figured i couldnt go wrong with the leupold setup (reputation). im not so sure about it though but ill guess ill have to do some testing. ill definitely keep some of the others in mind next time around, i really like the look of the Ken Farrell base. thanks for all the replies so far:cool:

You won't go wrong woth your choice - the Leupold bases and rings have served me well. I went with the two piece base set on the 700s I have owned. I have used the standard with the windage adjustable rear and dovetail front base in the past.

The set up I have now on my 700 is a Leupold dual dovetail with Burris signature rings with the self aligning plastic inserts.

I've no clue about "best". My father used one-piece bases on his rifles. I've always used two-piece.

I put a set of Conetrols on my Sako .243, mostly because they're purtier. :) And the rifle's aesthetically pleasing, to begin with. Hey, they work. I needed three hands, though, the first time I went to install them. :D

I've used Weaver mounts and rings since 1950. I've never had anything bad happen, except once on a Model 100 when I didn't tighten the knobs quite enough. My fault. But there have been some 4,000 rounds of '06 gone past the aluminum bases on my Ol' Pet since 1971. Seems like a fair test.

I don't see how the three little screws of a one-piece base can do much to stiffen an action. The four screws of a two-piece system have 1/3 more strength in shear to resist recoil, if recoil is a factor. Just off the cuff, it seems like the scope tube would do more stiffening with four screws than a one-piece mount with three. Dangfino. Never worried about it.

I recently searched through my wild animal box and found a set of Leupold rings with the horizontal adjustment deal. They're a bit high, but now the scope doesn't touch the barrel. :) An old Model 70 in .220 Swift. Gotta go sight it in.

Just some FWIW stuff...

Art

Too late now, but I hate anything with a dovetail front and pinched rear. I don't even like two-piece weaver-style set-ups anymore... too many ways to get loose.

I was gonna say the best is the Talley lightweight rings, unil someone reminded me of the Conetroll...

Whatever you do, make sure the screws are tight and lap the rings if you want the best performance and least worries.

-tINY

Too late now, but I hate anything with a dovetail front and pinched rear. I don't even like two-piece weaver-style set-ups anymore... too many ways to get loose.

I have two piece Leupold bases on three different rifles (the "dovetail front and pinched rear" you describe), and while there may be "too many ways to get loose", in has not happend on any of them over 25 years. This is bouncing in trucks over nasty roads, beat up by baggage handlers on plane trips, and general rough handling.

They have never budged.

While the big beefy Badger, and even the Leupold Mark 4 rings are certainly pretty, but I am a form follows function guy, and "pretty" to me doesn't justify nearly 4 times the price over standard Leupold rings.

Back