What are the best hiking shoes?

Well I think I've decided on what I need. This is day hiking though so that rules out La Sportiva Makalu's as I'm not ascending some huge mountain ranges and I don't need crampons. These would kill my feet.

My target is 10 miles for the day.

I've narrowed down consideration to some of the most popular brands.

Of some of the top names I've chosen a couple I'm interested in. The Danner radical 45 gtx are nice but they're now made in China and I'm skeptical of quality. I'm ruling them out although they might be a good choice for others.

Vasque sundowners aren't made in Italy anymore they're made in China and I've already seen questionable reviews regarding the newer ones because of their lack of ability to last for the long haul.

Danner Mountain Light II's seem to low for a hiking boot at 5 inches high although I'm still going to consider these.

Danner Shasta's are a possibilty I'm going to seriously consider these. They might be exactly what I need for rough sort of inclined terrain.

Asolo makes some good hiking boots if reviews of their products are true. The Asolo AFX 535 II and Asolo AFX 520 seem a little to heavy duty but I'm considering these too.

The overall winner is the Asolo FSN 95. Theoretically they would be perfect for serious day hikes and light backpacking. They are also the Backpacker magazine editors choice winner for 2001. Unfortunately they're made in Italy and not the U.S. but italian shoes have had a reputation for quality. They are also around $50 dollars cheaper than the Danners. They go for $150.00. I think I'll still buy an exrta pair of Danners though. Thanks for the repsonses folks.

Asolo FSN 95:
untitled.bmp

Last edited:
Merrils are handdown the best out there. HighTech
as APOS. I've had Dunhams, Danners, High Techs, and a couple of others. Merrils are the best I've had. For Elk hunting however, I have some Cabela Outfitters that are excellent also. I got the Merrils from Cabelas. Good Luck. Oh yeah...break in was nil as I got them and took them to Alaska on a trip this past May and only had two weeks to wear casually beforehand.

SIGarmed, Don't get discouraged by made in China. The days of Far East goods as being generally being poorly constructed has been worn out. Its too competitive a market for a factory to base their buisness on quantity over quality. Think: All the ills and benefits of capitalism. Today, the best made outdoor footwear is being made the Far East, specifically there's a group of 10 factories/contractors that are the best in the world. Before, Europe was the bastion of quality footwear. Today that has turned 180 degrees. Only the factories with longstanding ties still remain in buisness. The cheap labor goods Thailand, Korea and Singapore were associated with, are now found in Chech Republic, Hungary, Bulgaria and Ukraine.

The other equation of manufactured goods is astute sourcing. In the manufacturing world, its the sourcing managers who hold the cards: acquisition of materials, its cutting/shaping and most important its assembly. Poor buisness sense, a lack of understanding of your market and poor support from the R&D group is a recipe for crappy products. We've all seen it, we've discussed it here on the boards. Vasque being a large company (subsitiary of Red Wing), has contracts with factories all over the world. I would bet their Sundowners, Super Hikers and the like are produced in at least 3 different factories.

I have Danner Radical 45s--Vasque Sundowers---Salomons(not sure on the model) and Hi-Tecs--------the Hi-Tecs are ok--but not near the quality of the others.

The Danners are a little stiff and rough on the feet----------My Vasques and Salomons feel like they were custom made for my feet---although the Salomons can get hot at times.

All are Gore-Tex----except for the HiTecs

Army issue jungle boot. Preferably the older "Vietnam" era OD green canvas sided ones. Resoled with Vibram lug treaded soles and toe caps and spike protective plate removed.

For ME there isn't anything better for an all around "hiker"

;)

Man those old jungle boots kill feet. I know I've done many miles in them during service of my country. I wouldn't even try those today if you paid me. You would think they made those things to torture the wearer or something. Those boots at Lightfigher look pretty good though as they are a new design on an old concept.
No jungle boots for me. :)

I was also surprised people thought jungle boots were optimal for heavy hiking. Figured they didn't know any better.

True, not heavy hiking, steep terrain, "off-trail". etc.

"I'm probably going to day hike at least five miles if not more."

Wouldn't want to even trail walk 5+ miles in uncomfortable boots. I'm an owner of tender feet though :)

If you're buying European manufacture boots, be aware that they trend towards narrower foot profiles. If you're looking for a D width or wider, look at American brands...

Back